PDA

View Full Version : Flatland hiking speed

Reid
09-16-2009, 11:42
Gonna go 35 miles this weekend across Sumter national forest. It's preety flat. On hilly terrain that I'm more use to hiking I can sqeeze out close to 2.5mph if I'm really humming. I'd say closer to 2mph just to be safe. Does anyone's hiking speed go up to 3 or 4 mph on flat land? I'm being dropped off a good ways out of town and walking back into town basically so I don't want to zip across the forest and then sit there for another day waiting to be picked up, even though my house is a mere 6 miles from the trailhead. It's a very overlooked trail and I've never really paid it much attention. It's just close, accessible, and I've got to get out there. If I were to hit the blacktop and pace back into town I would probably get some looks. I remember someone saying that a child had asked them if they had a home, and then they walked off with a grand worth of gear on their back. I'd like to avoid that situation. I really don't have a way to estimate the terrain or my hiking speed as I've never been through there. Does anyone have any advice? I'm 6'5 but I've never left anyone in the dust when It comes to hiking the hills. It's always amused me how much quicker I am in the 40 and how long my gate is but when it comes to hiking hills I seem to be on even par with everyone else. Any advice or comments would be great.

Many Walks
09-16-2009, 12:15
You could - walk to the trailhead and back home at the same pace you would normally walk with your gear. See how long the 12 mi takes and do the math from there. Add a little time for hills you may not be aware of.

Or

Once on the trail, you could just set a midpoint or mile marker at a point of interest or your campsite to see how you're doing and adjust your speed the next day to arrive at the pickup point when your ride is expected.

Better yet

Since your home is just 6 miles from the trailhead, why don't you get the ride 35 miles out and just walk back home and not worry about being seen with your gear. If that's a concern put on a Halloween mask and no one will know it's you. Now that could be fun.

Enjoy your hike!

ChinMusic
09-16-2009, 12:23
Does anyone's hiking speed go up to 3 or 4 mph on flat land?
I can only approach 4 mph if I jog the downhill segments. 3.5 mph is pretty much my max for walking, and about 3 mph for backpacking on flat. I am just under 2 mph for the segments of the AT I have hiked.

Reid
09-16-2009, 12:24
I can hear it now from the town's people. "Did

Reid
09-16-2009, 12:25
"Did you see John coming into town with that pack on and wearing a HALOWEEN MASK?

The Solemates
09-16-2009, 12:45
what trail are you doing

Phreak
09-16-2009, 12:56
Yes, I often hike at 3.5-4.0 MPH on my speed hikes.

Reid
09-16-2009, 13:05
what trail are you doing

Its the enoree passage of the palmetto trail.

http://www.sctrails.net/TRAILS/ALLTRAILS/Palmetto%20Trail/PALMETTO%20TRAIL.html

I live right where it say blackstock above the sumter national forest mid to upstate SC. There's not much to whoop and holler about out there but it's a trail. When the fall leaves come out I really don't care where I am as long as I am out there somewhere.

ChinMusic
09-16-2009, 13:27
Yeah, but you're a phreak.......

sbhikes
09-16-2009, 13:54
I have found that a consistently flat trail is actually more painful than one with some ups and downs and I become limited by how much pain I can tolerate. And I have never found my speed to double just because the trail is flat. The biggest factor for me in achieving big miles is time.

George
09-16-2009, 13:58
Unless that is close to your normal hiking speed, I would not go for it. When I have tried to change my natural pace (meet up with someone and think, I will go at there pace for a while) it always ends up that my mile average for a few days or a week is the same or worse due to soreness/fatigue. In my opinion the best hiking speed is what feels natural or a little slower, you still get the miles in but feel better

ChinMusic
09-16-2009, 14:01
Unless that is close to your normal hiking speed, I would not go for it. When I have tried to change my natural pace (meet up with someone and think, I will go at there pace for a while) it always ends up that my mile average for a few days or a week is the same or worse due to soreness/fatigue. In my opinion the best hiking speed is what feels natural or a little slower, you still get the miles in but feel better
Excellent point.

Even Flyin' Brian found this out in Oregon during his Triple Crown. He knocked out 40 miles on his 40th birthday and suffered from it for days.

Egads
09-16-2009, 17:37

What Phreak didn't say is that he'll turn in a 50+ mile day-hike / run at 4.4 mph, so I'll say it

Jester2000
09-16-2009, 18:57

I travel that fast when I'm not speed hiking.

Pedaling Fool
09-16-2009, 19:00
I've been working a little on speed hiking, on my treadmill, and I've found that you can get your heart rate up just as high as a when running.

Egads
09-16-2009, 19:05

I travel that fast when I'm not speed hiking.

Jester, The difference is Phreak is stating average speed calculated at the end of the day and includes breaks & lunch.

You stated in the linked post that you hike that fast then take breaks, so your average speed is not 3.5 - 4.0 mph, but less. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=894357&postcount=11

Phreak
09-16-2009, 20:15
I travel that fast when I'm not speed hiking. What is your pace when you are speed hiking? :-?

Jester2000
09-16-2009, 20:17
Jester, The difference is Phreak is stating average speed calculated at the end of the day and includes breaks & lunch.

You stated in the linked post that you hike that fast then take breaks, so your average speed is not 3.5 - 4.0 mph, but less. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=894357&postcount=11

Hmmm. Not sure how you can tell what either Phreak or I are factoring in by our posts, including the one on another thread.

But for the record, I'm factoring in breaks when I talk about MPH. The only reason I know this is that none of my 30-40 mile days on the PCT took longer than 10 hours from when I started hiking until when I stopped for the day.

There are days when I decide not to walk this fast, as well as days when I decide to take longer or more breaks.

I'll stop now, because even I only barely care.

Jester2000
09-16-2009, 20:18
What is your pace when you are speed hiking? :-?

I don't even know what speed hiking is.

ChinMusic
09-16-2009, 21:07
I don't even know what speed hiking is.
I think for the purpose of this thread it means going at a speed above your normal comfort level.

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 10:50
I think for the purpose of this thread it means going at a speed above your normal comfort level.

Gotcha. In that case, I don't know what pace I walk when speed hiking, 'cause I don't do it.

ChinMusic
09-17-2009, 11:05
Gotcha. In that case, I don't know what pace I walk when speed hiking, 'cause I don't do it.
Oh come on, you ain't had a cheeseburger with your name on it, just awaitin'?

SawnieRobertson
09-17-2009, 12:47
Those who know me will wonder when I became a lying female, but in my 30s without a pack, I would walk at between 3.5 and 4.0 miles per hour in NW Austin. I think it had to do with not thinking about it, just doing it with no speed in mind.--Kinnickinic

Reid
09-17-2009, 12:58
[quote=Many Walks;894738]Once on the trail, you could just set a midpoint or mile marker at a point of interest or your campsite to see how you're doing and adjust your speed the next day to arrive at the pickup point when your ride is expected. [quote]

That's probably what I'll do.

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 13:12
I like to carry some chocolate espresso beans or once I even had a packet of energy gummy bears just for those times when I need to adjust my speed upwards to reach some place. This kind of medication only works if you do it rarely.

max patch
09-17-2009, 13:20
There were still quite a few road walks when I thru'd; when I hiked on the road with a 40 pound pack in the unshaded heat of the summer my pace was consistently 18:00 miles, or a bit faster than 3 mph.

Offroad, the shade of the woods and the softness of the trail allowed me to hike a bit faster than that on the flats.

Many Walks
09-17-2009, 23:43
[quote=Many Walks;894738]Once on the trail, you could just set a midpoint or mile marker at a point of interest or your campsite to see how you're doing and adjust your speed the next day to arrive at the pickup point when your ride is expected. [quote]

That's probably what I'll do.
So that works better than hiking the road with your pack and a Halloween Mask, Huh? LOL Enjoy your hike! Let us know how it turned out.