PDA

View Full Version : A Quick and Dirty AT Guide

Mags
09-16-2009, 12:09
I have finally done something I've wanted to do for a while: Make a quick and dirty doc for the Appalachian Trail. Something that can be thought of as a handout for the AT. It is similar to my PCT and CDT docs that other hikers seem to use.

Planning for the AT can be a bit like drinking from a firehose....sometimes there is too much info and it is overwhelming.

This doc can be thought of of as a concise jumping off point to help a (typically new) long distance hiker plan for this trail. It will not answer every question concerning the AT..but should prove to be a decent starting point. May make the initial planning of hiking the AT a little less overwhelming.

Check it out! (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/A-Quicky-and-Dirty-Guide-to-the-Appalachian-Trail.html)

(As an aside, some of the links go to my Amazon store..feel free to ignore the shameless commerce portion of my site. :) )

ShelterLeopard
09-16-2009, 12:55
Cool- it's good to have a concise version of things.

Gray Blazer
09-16-2009, 12:58
Not too shabby!

Reid
09-16-2009, 13:17
The "I have some opinoins about" cell phone link doesn't work. Nice page though didn't know you had it like that.

Chenango
09-16-2009, 13:48
Very nice. Thanks, Mags.

Blissful
09-16-2009, 13:54
I think it's you - but I saw your advice in Yogi's PCT handbook too along with other hikers.

Mags
09-16-2009, 15:05
The "I have some opinoins about" cell phone link doesn't work. Nice page though didn't know you had it like that.

I noticed a broken link or two (quirk of the web based software used to make my site). Should be fixed now.

I think it's you - but I saw your advice in Yogi's PCT handbook too along with other hikers.

Yep..that's me for better or worse. I'm also in Yogi's CDT book.

Jeff
09-16-2009, 17:07
Great resource that can bring new hikers up to speed really quick.

Doctari
09-16-2009, 20:28
I liked the "Drinking out of a fire hose" analogy. Considering the amount of info out there, your "handout" covers it all, is brief & easy to understand but covers about all you need to know to jump start a long hike on the AT.

Nice job!

Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2009, 16:21
Mags:

I'm at work and only had a chance to scan this. At a very quick reading, this looks GREAT and it should be placed in the "Articles" section here.

A few very quick comments/additions:

*The Thru-Hikers Companion has many, many editors, and not just "several"
*Appalachian Pages is co-written and put out by Rick Miller (AWOL A.T. 2003)
as well as ATTroll
*The Thru-Hikers Handbook is written and published by Bob McCaw

Oh, and Clingman's Dome is 6643 feet not 6625, but who's counting? :D

Very nice piece of work, Mags.

Mags
09-17-2009, 16:38
l

*The Thru-Hikers Companion has many, many editors, and not just "several"
as well as ATTroll
*The Thru-Hikers Handbook is written and published by Bob McCaw

Thanks! Probably doesn't affect the info but it is very good to attribute the appropriate people.

[quote=Jack Tarlin;895318]

Oh, and Clingman's Dome is 6643 feet not 6625, but who's counting? :D

Ruh-roh. Better tell the ATC:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805401/k.8865/About_the_Trail.htm

Highest elevation: 6,625 feet – on Clingmans Dome in Tennessee

;)

(I'm not disagreeing, just funny how the official site has a mountain 18 ft lower than the actual height.)

UPDATE: Per Jack's suggestion, I just submitted it as an article

TheKO
09-18-2009, 16:42
Nice job, thanks for posting!

weary
09-18-2009, 23:27
Mags. That is a truly great addition to AT literature. Yea for Henry Thoreau. "Simplify, simplify, simplify ...."

Weary

Arizona
09-19-2009, 18:56
As usual, great job Mags.
I'm glad your work speaks for itself and you don't have to make up lies about being sponsored by Leki or Teva.

Mags
09-19-2009, 22:43
Mags. That is a truly great addition to AT literature. Yea for Henry Thoreau. "Simplify, simplify, simplify ...."

Weary

Thanks for the kinds words Weary (and others).

That's the point of this handout/guide/whatever.

It may only be walking...but sometimes getting to the point where you can walk is a little intimidating and confusing. :)

Awol2003
09-21-2009, 15:12
Mags:

as well as ATTroll

David Miller

Bidwell
09-21-2009, 17:02
Looks good man! What are the 6 national parks that the AT goes through? Maybe I am drawing a blank, but I can only think of the smokies and the shenandoah.

Thanks for putting this together!

- Greg