PDA

View Full Version : Base Camp Tent Suggestions

brotheral
09-16-2009, 16:34
I didn't post this in the gear forum because it's not about "Backpacking Gear".
I'm thinking about buying another high quality base camp tent. We have a Sierra Designs Nomad 5 that's terrific. Been through some heavy rain without a drop of water inside. I'd like something a little smaller that I can use for solo trips, but still like some extra room in case..... Probably around 8'x8' floor. Guess I'd just like something different / new.. Some folks camped near me recently had a Marmot Halo 4. They loved it.
I've also been looking at Mtn Hardwear Habitat. When those mountain rains hit I don't want to need a poly tarp over my tent to stay dry...
Any suggestions ??
Thanks...... BrotherAL :sun

Jester2000
09-16-2009, 16:39
I like the Big Agnes Big House 4.

Hooch
09-16-2009, 16:46
REI Hobitat 6.

http://www.campist.com/archives/rei-hobitat-4-tent.jpg

brotheral
09-16-2009, 17:37
Hobitat 6 is bigger than I'm looking for. It's abt same size as my SD Nomad 5... Nice tent anyway.
Big house 4 is interesting...:-?
Thanks guys...

Tipi Walter
09-16-2009, 18:06
Check out the Mt Hardwear Hammerhead 3. It's got 50 sq ft, just about right for a basecamp tent. Then again, I would consider the North Face VE25 to be the king of the basecamp tents.

Beyond this, look at the Cabelas big tents. I've been living in a 12x12 Xtreme weather tent for the last 4-5 years and it's still standing and still waterproof. Of course, at 75 lbs it's too heavy to hump but if you want to get out of the mortage crisis and stop paying rent, it's a life-saver.

Ol Mole
09-16-2009, 18:20
Check out the Mt Hardwear Hammerhead 3. It's got 50 sq ft, just about right for a basecamp tent. Then again, I would consider the North Face VE25 to be the king of the basecamp tents.

Beyond this, look at the Cabelas big tents. I've been living in a 12x12 Xtreme weather tent for the last 4-5 years and it's still standing and still waterproof. Of course, at 75 lbs it's too heavy to hump but if you want to get out of the mortage crisis and stop paying rent, it's a life-saver.

In the 3rd Pic there is a propane tank. What is it attached to?

Tipi Walter
09-16-2009, 19:02
The propane runs to an in-tent designed heater called the Mister Buddy or something. Two 20 pound tanks got me thru a winter and the heater works great in the big tent(at 144 sq ft). I miss the old wood stove but a tent ain't a tipi or a wall tent and I wouldn't trust a Kifaru for long term living with a full blasting woodstove.

RWK
09-16-2009, 20:19
REI Kingdom 4 is nice. Just got mine and like it so far. Can fit 4 but really more comfortable for 3 + gear. Good head room for floor size, sides are pretty vertical and has good ventilation. Also has room divider if you need.

brotheral
09-16-2009, 21:51

Thanks Tipi Walter !! I've done some winter camping myself,but not for several years. Woke up in my Mountain Hardwear Skyview 2 in the Allegheny National Forest one morning and it was 9 degrees. Brrrrrr :D. We went out for breakfast that day.... Loved the pictures, especially the X-treme weather tent...

Egads
09-16-2009, 22:04
The REI Hobitats don't have good reviews
http://www.rei.com/product/745758

Tipi Walter
09-16-2009, 22:36
Thanks Tipi Walter !! I've done some winter camping myself,but not for several years. Woke up in my Mountain Hardwear Skyview 2 in the Allegheny National Forest one morning and it was 9 degrees. Brrrrrr :D. We went out for breakfast that day.... Loved the pictures, especially the X-treme weather tent...

Yeah, Cabelas makes some interesting large tents and I heard indirectly that their tents are made by Diamond or Eureka but have no proof. I went with a sealable tent when I decided to go large after thinking about a canvas Wall tent with a woodstove insert. Down here in southeast Tennessee we get scorpions and black widows, things I never saw up at my tipi in NC, so having a zipped up shelter is nice.

The Mechanical Man
09-16-2009, 22:44
The Big Agnes - Big House 4, with full length fly, and spacious vestibule.

Very easy to set up. :sun

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/BigHouse4

FamilyGuy
09-17-2009, 00:03

TP, you are hardcore!

Elder
09-17-2009, 00:48
:D Some of the best family size tents are Pahaque..'
Campmor has some.
Family tents built to Mountaineering specs..pricey and worth it.;)

Tipi Walter
09-17-2009, 08:29
TP, you are hardcore!

Naw, I just like sleeping outside.

rpenczek
09-17-2009, 08:43
I have a Mountain Hardware Haven 3, which poor misguided me purchased as a backpacking tent (6.5 lbs). I use this as a base camp tent now. Of course you can't stand in it, but when I go from the Tarptent Rainbow 2 on the trail to the Haven 3 while car camping, I feel like I am in a castle.

For base camp (Wife and I), I plan to purchase the Mountain Hardware Casa 4. I plan on using low to the ground cots in this tent and we will be able to stand while dressing. I also like the fact that it uses clips rather than sleves for the poles, sleves are a pain.

brotheral
09-17-2009, 13:00
I have a Mountain Hardware Haven 3, which poor misguided me purchased as a backpacking tent (6.5 lbs). I use this as a base camp tent now. Of course you can't stand in it, but when I go from the Tarptent Rainbow 2 on the trail to the Haven 3 while car camping, I feel like I am in a castle.

For base camp (Wife and I), I plan to purchase the Mountain Hardware Casa 4. I plan on using low to the ground cots in this tent and we will be able to stand while dressing. I also like the fact that it uses clips rather than sleves for the poles, sleves are a pain.
I went to Mtn Hdw. website and looked at Casa 4. I like it !! You may want to consider the Casa 6. When my girlfriend and I go together, she sleeps on a slumberjack "Big Cot". She has lower back problems and likes the height of the cot... I use a twin size coleman air mattress. 39" wide. These fit well in our SD Nomad 5 which has appx. 8' x 10' floor; abt same as Casa 6.

brotheral
09-17-2009, 13:34
Here's the SD Nomad 5 at Elkmont in Smokies last year.

nox
09-17-2009, 14:03
i have been using a northface rock 32 for a few years now. it was about $200 and hasn't leaked once. it is too heavy for backpacking but definitely a great car camping tent. plenty of room for 2, 3 people would be tight but it has 2 fairly large vestibules, one at each door.