PDA

View Full Version : Dri ducks for camp clothes ??

tammons
09-16-2009, 18:58
At first I intended to buy a set of BPL thourough fare shirt and pants. Probably abotu 12-14 oz in my size. probably will one day.

Then I thought geez I will just hit the thrift store for nylon. Found a pair of wind pants and took the lining out and they weigh 7.5 oz.

Found a nylon windbreaker that would do for a top, but its a bit heavy.

I will also carry a clean spare merino microweight TEE, extra socks.

Then I started thinking, geez, driducks only weigh like 10oz total in my size and would probably make decent camp clothes, plus a spare set of rain gear.

They only cost $14 on line so in the summer you could chop off the legs to make shorts, chop the arms also. Probably weigh about 7 oz or less chopped for summer.

Also seems like it would be ideal if you use a poncho/tarp rig as a spare rain suit.

Manwich
09-16-2009, 19:18
Once you're sweating, dryducks will stick to your skin and after a while they'd smell like crap. I wouldn't bring dryducks for a throughhike, but I use them for backpacking... but when I'm backpacking I'll usually have some sort of setup for camp clothes anyway.

kolokolo
09-16-2009, 20:55
Dri ducks are basically made of paper, and somewhat fragile. They are lightweight and breathable, but once they get dirty it is difficult to get them really clean without destroying them. I don't think I would count on them lasting very long if you wear them regularly for extended periods.

I would find something else to use as camp clothes if I were you.

tammons
09-17-2009, 15:11
Thanks.

I have decided I am going to use the nylon pants already have. Forgot I have
an old silk long sleeve shirt in the closet. Wieghs 3.6 oz so thats about perfect.

11 oz total and almost free.