PDA

View Full Version : katadyn hiker vs hiker pro

themadgaffler
09-16-2009, 21:15
apparently my ancient pur scout filter has been discontinued and it seems like a better idea to buy a new filter than to get a filter that wil cost me 50 bucks. campmor has both the katadyn hiker ($50) and hiker pro versions 9$70), but i only see replacement filters for the pro. is the hiker pro replacement filter useable in the older hiker model? or will saving 20 bucks by buying the hiker version get me where i am now - basically not being able to get a replacement filter for my assembly?

pafarmboy
09-16-2009, 21:48
They are basically the same product. The pro has some quick disconnects that are really worth the extra 20 bucks IMO.

pafarmboy
09-16-2009, 21:49
forgot to mention, replacement filters fit both models.

themadgaffler
09-17-2009, 08:58
thanks for the clarification PAFB

kanga
09-17-2009, 09:06
i have the old pur too. it's identical to the hiker/pro. i actually used a hiker cartridge in my pur and used spare parts to fix the pur collar.

Tipi Walter
09-17-2009, 09:20
apparently my ancient pur scout filter has been discontinued and it seems like a better idea to buy a new filter than to get a filter that wil cost me 50 bucks. campmor has both the katadyn hiker ($50) and hiker pro versions 9$70), but i only see replacement filters for the pro. is the hiker pro replacement filter useable in the older hiker model? or will saving 20 bucks by buying the hiker version get me where i am now - basically not being able to get a replacement filter for my assembly?

I too have an ancient PUR Hiker filter and it's been through dozens of filter cartridges and a couple of pump handles. Pump handles? The Hiker pump handles are made poorly and will snap off easily with enough pressure. I did a home repair so check out the fotogs below. Used a wood screw into the pump shaft. On two separate backpacking trips I had the palm part of the handle to snap off and had to use my teeth to pull up the handle for pumping. I got tired of it and decided to do a permanent fix. Dang thing won't break now!

themadgaffler
09-17-2009, 12:01
i have the old pur too. it's identical to the hiker/pro. i actually used a hiker cartridge in my pur and used spare parts to fix the pur collar.

hmm i looked at the hiker replacement filter and it seemed shorter and wider than the filter in my old pur. my pur filter does not have a name on it but i assumed it was the scout - maybe not. it looks like the katadyn guid filter but says pur not katadyn.

kanga
09-17-2009, 12:11
hmm i looked at the hiker replacement filter and it seemed shorter and wider than the filter in my old pur. my pur filter does not have a name on it but i assumed it was the scout - maybe not. it looks like the katadyn guid filter but says pur not katadyn.
i know i didn't have the scout and until you said something i could have told you what mine was called. it is identical to the hiker. literally. let me think. maybe my gerbil will start running in a minute...

lustreking
09-17-2009, 12:26
i know i didn't have the scout and until you said something i could have told you what mine was called. it is identical to the hiker. literally. let me think. maybe my gerbil will start running in a minute...

Your filter was also called the Hiker. I have one too.

kanga
09-17-2009, 12:36
Your filter was also called the Hiker. I have one too.
that's what i was thinking, but then that would have been too easy...:D
i get confused easily..

Jonnycat
09-17-2009, 17:49
<--- also has a Pur hiker (doesn't say hiker on it anywhere, just Pur towards the top); currently filled with a Katadyn Pro filter.