PDA

View Full Version : port clinton trails

nox
09-17-2009, 09:10
Does anyone know where i can find info on trails around port clinton? i live nearby but can't find any maps for 1, 2 or 3 day trips (loops preferably). I hear about trails in the area but can't find them... thanks

saimyoji
09-17-2009, 10:17
check out the KTA mapset map #6 (i think)...shows all kinds of non-AT trails from Eckvilled, Hawk Mountain, up to the Pinnacle, down to Port Clinton and all over that mountain. if you head up to the visitor center at Hawk Mountain and ask a ranger, they may be able to hook you up with something special.....(hint hint)

nox
09-17-2009, 10:23
thanks, i have gone to cabelas a few times hoping to find maps, with no luck. For the amount of outdoor supplies there i can't understand why there is not a single map in the place... i'll have to stop by the ranger station. I'm not sure why that never crossed my mind.

PUNKINPUSS11
09-17-2009, 11:05
hey nox we r neighbors im planning on doing port clinton in the next month...maybe we can orgasnize and do a section

nox
09-17-2009, 11:48
i go 4 shoulder surgery on tuesday, i will be missing quite a bit of work (up to 4 months) since i am a carpenter. I might be pretty sore for the next month or so but if i can manage 2 get my pack on my back ... definitely.

emerald
09-17-2009, 12:33
I have gone to Cabela's a few times hoping to find maps with no luck.

A copy of Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania or individual maps can be obtained from Appalachian Trail Conservancy's Ultimate A.T. Store or Keystone Trails Association.

If you'll visit Pennsylvania DCNR's website, you can locate and download a map of Weiser State Forest.

Downloadable maps of State Game Lands are available from Pennsylvania Game Commission. I started a thread in which I provided the link.

Camping and campfires are not permitted on Hamburg's watershed, except on a small NPS inholding which includes Windsor Furnace Shelter. Swimming is not permitted in their reservior and overnight parking is by permission only. I recently posted the Borough office's phone number which you can call to obtain permission to park overnight on their lot or for answers to any questions you may have.

Information about Hawk Mountain Sanctuary may be found at www.hawkmountain.org. (http://www.hawkmountain.org) Refer to their page Hiking at Hawk Mountain to learn more about their trail system. You can download a map from the page just mentioned or obtain a brochure at their headquarters. Directions are available on their website.

You may wish to incorporate Blue Rocks Family Campground into your plans. More information's on their website or call them.

Information about services in Port Clinton may be obtained by downloading ALDHA's Online Companion by clicking on the link in my signature or by inquiring at Ye Olde Backpacker in person. They are located in town near the A.T. and maintain a website.

If you make the effort to locate these maps and inform yourself about DCNR's and PGC's regulations concerning camping, you should be able to put together some circuits and easily keep yourself occupied for several days. There are many attractions nearby too.

I'll tweak this post as soon as I can get back to it and add the links.

shelterbuilder
09-17-2009, 21:36
FWIW: between Port Clinton and Eckville, there are all manner of woods roads (some maintained by DCNR, others by PGC). Going north on Rt. 61 through Port Clinton, just past the 3C's Restaurant, DCNR's main access road to the ridgetop cuts off to the right - STEEPLY! This newer road (drivable) replaced an older, switchbacked one that is still barely visible and gated closed (again, right side of Rt. 61 north, between edge of town and 3C's).

These two roads and all of the others are shown on the topographical maps (USGS) for this area. Nestor's in Allentown and Yoas Drafting Services and Supplies in West Reading used to sell topos, but it's been ages since I bought any (they used to sell for $2 apiece, but that was many years ago). Game Commission "sportsman" maps are available (for a small fee) from the Regional HQ in Leesport, but the detail isn't quite as good. I don't have the ATC maps in front of me, but I'm sure that they show some (maybe all) of this area.

These roads link to the AT in Eckville, and near the "junction of the trails" above the Hamburg Reservior (heading toward the Pinnacle), as well as to the AT near Pocahontas Spring (if you're not afraid of a little "down and back up" hike from ridge to ridge).

PS - hunting seasons are fast approaching, so blaze orange is required on Game Lands, and not a bad idea everywhere else!:-?

Good luck with the shoulder surgery and recovery.

bronconite
09-18-2009, 07:27
I believe Cabelas carries the full set of PA maps and guide book as seen here https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=30&compid=1 At least they used to, that's where I got mine. If you only want the local map, this is what you're looking for https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=208&compid=1

I will also be hiking some of those trails in the next few weeks as time allows.

saimyoji
09-18-2009, 09:00
i got my maps at hawk mountain, and its well worth it to speak with a ranger or knowledgable volunteer up there.