PDA

View Full Version : Tenn. Hike

Debbie
09-17-2009, 10:32
I'm planning to hike the section from 19E outside Roan Mountain Tn. to Wautauga Lake in late October; if anyone wants to join me it'd be great to have company. I'm in no hurry; planning on about 8 miles per day. I'm doing the AT section by section.

Debbie/SeaEagle

Rain Man
09-17-2009, 12:22
I'm planning to hike the section from 19E outside Roan Mountain Tn. to Wautauga Lake in late October....

I did this section last year with my youngest daughter (she was 20 then) and really enjoyed it. Mountain Harbour B&B Hostel is at 19E. A great place. All along the climb from 19E, you'll have some views south of the magnificent Hump Mtn. You'll get to hike along the Elk (?) River for a ways. I enjoyed that. Also, you'll get the famous Laurel Gorge just after Kincora Hostel. Really nice stretch. Then Pond Flats Mtn... a good climb! It had lots of unripe blueberries when I was there.

Ah, the memories! Enjoy! I think I have photos in my WB gallery.

Rain:sunMan

Debbie
09-17-2009, 19:55
Thanks for the preview, Rain Man. It sounds beautiful and I'm looking forward to it.
I'll check out your pictures

SeaEagle:)

Passion Hiker 73
09-17-2009, 21:05
I'll be on the trail the 26th. I'll be starting north of you probably souh of Damascus somewhere and going to Erwin. My have not narrowed my start point yet. Maybe we'll cross paths. I tip my hat to you on picking such a fine time to do a section hike. I hiked Davenport Gap to Erwin the last week of Oct. in '07 and Damascus to Route 321 the last week of Oct. in '08. Assume colors and good hiking weather(no bugs). Bring the dog again for his second year on the trail("Buster" the Brittney). You got love this time of the year. PH 73

Debbie
09-18-2009, 20:21
Maybe we will cross paths; I plan to start around the 24th of Oct. I like the leaves too; what I'm after this time is the views and cooler (or colder) weather.

MedicineMan
09-18-2009, 21:50
when i was on Mt.K 6 thru's were finishing up. I polled them to 5 mountains they remember..all mentioned the Roan Highlands. You will have a wonderful time. My tech here in the hospital just did Damascus to Carvers Gap and had every kind of weather imaginable so you won't be bored!
Depending on where/when (I'll be on the trail myself for 3 weeks starting next week) you start ---and the hostel RainMan mentioned is a great place to leave a car I shuttle WBers gratis.

Debbie
09-19-2009, 10:59
I will probably start on the 24th or 25th of Oct. I'm flying in, either to Tri-Cities or Knoxville airport. I don't have that much time, so driving up from Miami wouldn't work. Do you ever shuttle from either airport? If its significant distance, I'd expect to contribute something.

I'm looking forward to doing this section. It sounds and looks wonderful. I did the Roan Mountain area a few years ago and remember it as one of my most beautiful hikes. We started from the Nolichucky River and got off at 19E. In fact, I think we did leave our van at that B&B.

How are the temps likely to be in late Oct.?

dmax
09-19-2009, 11:04
For your flight plans, look into the prices for Asheville Nc. too.

tenbeer
09-19-2009, 11:10
Debbie I did this section also last year, although we went south at of Damascus to Roan Mtn. This is a wonderful hike. This hike was recommended to me by a gentlemen working at the outfitters in Damascus. I believe his name was Jack. He also had a nickname that I believed started with a B. I also ran into a very nice man hiking with his 20 year old daughter. I believe it was her first AT hike. Enjoy!!!!!

Debbie
09-19-2009, 11:48
Thanks, I will; I wish I were up there already.

I think I remember Jack at Mt. Rogers Outfitters; nice guys.

If I had more time I would do the whole section from 19E to Damascus; but that'll have to wait.

Rain Man
09-19-2009, 17:47
I also ran into a very nice man hiking with his 20 year old daughter. I believe it was her first AT hike. Enjoy!!!!!

Was he an old, ugly, fat, balding guy? Probably huffing and puffing? And she would have been tall, slender but muscular, blond, and good lookin'?

I wonder who that might have been. Hmmmmmmm.

MedicineMan
09-20-2009, 00:16
Shuttling from TRI is no problem, shuttling from Knox is.
Shuttling from Asheville is no problem either.
My section hike goes from Sept.25 to Oct. 15 so I'll be back in time to shuttle on Oct 24...
Just let me know how many of you there will be so I can bring something big enough (can carry 4 with gear)...I've marked it on the calendar...if you plans change no problem, I have to be in the area anyway.
Temps..flip a coin, roll the dice but your hike is in the lowlands so serious cold or snow is unlikely, might even have some 70 degree days and at worst low 40s at night....beautiful time to walk around the lake too and the water temps will still be swimmable.

RiverWarriorPJ
09-20-2009, 05:23
Was he an old, ugly, fat, balding guy? Probably huffing and puffing? And she would have been tall, slender but muscular, blond, and good lookin'?

I wonder who that might have been. Hmmmmmmm.

..lol rainMan....good one..

Debbie
09-20-2009, 11:28
Thanks, Medicine Man!

In that case I will either fly into TRI or Asheville; I thought Knox might be closer than Asheville but I guess not.

I will keep you posted about my plans. So far its just me, but that could change.

Temps don't sound bad, either. I actually was looking for some cold weather, but as I'm from south Florida, low 40's would probably do.

I hope your own hike goes well for you.

dmax
09-20-2009, 11:46
I would expect it to get in the 30's at night in the mountains. It might even get in the 20's. We've already had frost up in the mountains around here last week.

Debbie
09-20-2009, 13:57
Sounds good dmaxx! I've spent most of my life in Miami, so cold weather is a nice change to me. I've hiked in cold weather and snow before, so I've got warm clothes, sleeping bag, etc.

Right now we're still running around 90 degrees in the daytime and high 70's at night. Mosquitos are very active. Bring on the Fall!

tndrfoot
09-20-2009, 20:57
keep ur plans posted i live about 30 miles from the trail i prob could meet up wth u somewhere and day hike or do a overniter somewhere love to meet up wth u.

Mango
09-20-2009, 21:08
Sea Eagle,
I will be taking some gear shakedown hikes this fall and might be on that section in late Oct., if my Aether 70 ever comes in. If you contact Medicine Man and he can't shuttle you, have him contact me - maybe I can. TRI is a lot closer than Asheville, which is WHOLE lot closer than Knoxville. It'll be a great time to hike.
Mango

MedicineMan
09-20-2009, 21:16
is that one of us will get you to the trail.
and yes you get bonus points if you fly into TRI.
arriving in Asheville will delay your hitting the trail by 2 hours and that might push you into the next day depending on your flight times but if you can save a bundle via Asheville we will make that happen.
Knoxville (I'm a UGA grad) is a plaque for many reasons!
I'm at 3660 feet and I've seen 46F so far as a low.

Debbie
09-21-2009, 09:59
To Tndrfoot and Mango-I'll keep you posted as to plans; great to have company.

Also, thanks for the airport info and shuttle offer, Mango.

Medicine Man-Thanks- good to have the support. I looked at the map and I will most likely be flying into TRI-it is a lot closer.

I'll let you know when I have the flight plans.

Debbie
10-08-2009, 09:15
Hi to Mango, Tndrfoot, and anybody else interested;

I'm flying into TRI on 10/23 (got a better price and flight time) and will hit the trail on 10/24, starting at 19E. I will camp at or near the shelters and get off at Wilbur Dam Road, probably early on 10/28. If time permits, I might hike a little farther; I'll just have to see. I'm out to enjoy the hike, not set speed records. :D

Hope Medicine Man's hike is going fine.

Christus Cowboy
10-09-2009, 15:28
Miss Debbie,

I will be doing a 7 day in that area from 19E to Damascus from October 24 to the 31st with Summit, Gary, SalemMike, and myself (Christus Cowboy). We will be leaving on the morning of October 24th where the trail crosses 19E. I live in Kingsport and am very close to the Tri-Cities airport. PM me if you have any questions.

tndrfoot
10-09-2009, 22:06
debbie what time are you flying in? I live about 15 min from the airport if your flight is in the evening i would have a good chance to pick you up and take you to the trail sat morning just let me know if i can help and i will make plans.

Debbie
10-10-2009, 09:37
Tndrfoot;

I appreciate that; my flight comes in at 12:30 in the afternoon, however. I think Medicine Man is going to pick me up, assuming my changing from the 24th to the 23rd isn't a problem for him. I will find out after the 15th when he gets home from his hike.

Here's another question you might know the answer to-I use MSR or similar container fuel-is there a store close by that sells it? I can't fly with that.

tndrfoot
10-10-2009, 11:41
there is a outfitter store in johnson city that is on the way to the trail they got all u need it is about 15 mile from the airport. Let me know if i can help in anyway.

Debbie
10-10-2009, 16:37
Thanks, I will.

MedicineMan
10-14-2009, 05:09
SeaEagle,
I just returned from NJ and NY...I'm now scheduled to pick you up at TRI on Frid Oct 23 at 12:30pm.
I'll be holding a placard that says 'SeaEagle'
No worries on the canister. I've got an extra I didn't use in NJ/NY...it it doesn't fit (doubtful) we will swing by the local outfitters for another.
Isn't it cool to have so many offer to help! If for some reason I get incapacitated between now and then I'll post here for a backup.....someone will get you to the trail if for some reason I cannot; but after the trail magic I recieved in NY I must pay back!
You do have my cell yes??????

Debbie
10-14-2009, 20:59
Hi Medicine Man!

Glad to hear your're back; how did your hike go?

I was going to contact you tomorrow when I thought you were returning to let you know about the date change. I got a better price and time, but you already saw it, so Thank You! Thanks also for the canister offer; that's something I can't fly with.

I can't believe how many people offered to help; I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll run into some of them on the trail.

Yes, I do have your cell. :)

SeaEagle

Doc '02, '08
10-14-2009, 21:33
Debbie - I'm a two-time AT section hiker living near Tri-Cities airport. If you decide to fly into there, I'll be available to shuttle you to whichever end of the trail you decide to start at. I often get asked what section of the AT I liked best...It took me a while to sort through my thoughts, but my answer generally goes like this: My favorite short section is the balds in TN/NC (Max Patch, Roan Highlands, Hump), but nothing can compare to the above treeline hikes in New Hampshire. A third favorite is the entire state of Maine, with its lung and leg killing southern sections, followed by cruising through the area of warm lakes prior to summiting the "great mountain". If we don't hook up, I hope you have a great hike! Temperatures above 3000-ft can be below freezing in this area at this time of year (or in the 70-80's).

Doc

[email protected]

Debbie
10-15-2009, 07:11
Thanks Doc!

I sure will let you know if I need a shuttle; if I remember right, Mountain Harbor B &B is about a quarter mile from the trail crossing at 19E. That's where I'm thinking of spending the night of 10/23. If that's not right, let me know.

I just finished my last section of Maine AT this summer; I have to say that so far Maine is my favorite state. (I'm a section hiker; so far I've finished Maine, Georgia, North Carolina, and done parts of Vt, Tn, Virginia, and Ma.) Next summer I plan to start at the NH state line and head south. Some hikers were saying that the southernmost section in Maine is harder than anything in NH; what do you think?

Blissful
10-15-2009, 11:57
Some hikers were saying that the southernmost section in Maine is harder than anything in NH; what do you think?

Well the WHites are hard (I didn't like Carter/ Moriah range myself), its just that going NOBO by the time you get to southern ME, you're kind of sick and tired of steep uphills and death defying cliffs. Its more a mental game. :)

Debbie
10-15-2009, 14:41
Yep, I know what you mean by death defying cliffs. Old Blue, Mahoosuc Arm and Moody Mountain (landslide) come to mind, not that they weren't pretty. It probably is a mental game, though. If I really want to do it; I will. Thanks for the info about the Whites.