PDA

View Full Version : Made a mistake

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 11:17
I think I made a mistake. I should have hiked slower. Then I would still be out there hiking the PCT.

mrhughes1982
09-17-2009, 12:08
Well go back out there and hike some more!!!!

Rain Man
09-17-2009, 12:23
I've heard that people say something similar on their deathbed sometimes! LOL

Sounds as if you had a great time!

Rain:sunMan

SunnyWalker
09-17-2009, 13:11
OK, what happened?

A-Train
09-17-2009, 13:13
I think I made a mistake. I should have hiked slower. Then I would still be out there hiking the PCT.

Maybe so but at this point in the season you are really rolling the dice with the weather. I hiked through a white-out snowstorm on my last day and to call it unpleasant was an understatement (this was Sept 20th 07).

This experience really magnified how "screwed" one could be if the weather stayed bad for consecutive days, on a trail without a lean-to.

Unfortunately many hikers that year never saw Manning but had to roadwalk to finish near Ross Lake. Not exactly the ending they had been planning for the previous 5 months.

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 15:06
I second A-Trains's statement. I finished last year in October, and the cold rain and snow we were hiking through, while not too bad, did make me happy when the hike was over.

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 15:39
What happened? Nothing. Nothing at all is happening. Got no job. Got almost nothing to do. As much as I looked forward to my "job" hiking 25 miles a day coming to completion, it was better than this. I might have to take some kind of low-wage part-time job just to save my sanity.

Pacific Tortuga
09-17-2009, 16:08
What happened? Nothing. Nothing at all is happening. Got no job. Got almost nothing to do. As much as I looked forward to my "job" hiking 25 miles a day coming to completion, it was better than this. I might have to take some kind of low-wage part-time job just to save my sanity.

Go hang out at Stehekin or Holden Village. The Village is open all year round but there is a trade off.

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 16:41
Washington's a little far away. Wasn't there some buddhist retreat in SoCal somewhere?

johnnybgood
09-17-2009, 16:56
Become a " professional " hiker . Others have claimed to be. ;)

Gaiter
09-17-2009, 16:58

don't beat yourself up, so what you made a mistake, you learned a lesson, you are human.... trail will still be there....

Jonnycat
09-17-2009, 17:45
Post hike dementia can be a very debilitating experience. Fortunately, there is a cure: go back out for the better part of a week and you will help to restore some of your sanity.

Dr. Jon

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 19:55
Yeah, probably would remind me how much I was hating it toward the end. Oh how the grass looks so much greener on the other side, eh?

Doctari
09-17-2009, 20:46

Common mistake, at least I make it nearly every section hike I do on the AT. :rolleyes:

"gotta finish, gotta finish, gotta finish, gotta finish!!" :eek:

Then I cry all the way home cause it's over.

Still, I envy you!

Jonnycat
09-17-2009, 20:57
Yeah, probably would remind me how much I was hating it toward the end. Oh how the grass looks so much greener on the other side, eh?

Okay, I just looked at your sig and saw you did half the PCT this year. That's a lot of hiking.

Still, you could always go out for a few days somewhere neat at a m-u-c-h s-l-o-w-e-r pace. Doctor's orders, and all of that. :D

sbhikes
09-18-2009, 11:00
As soon as the weather cools and we have a first rain, I'll go somewhere local. Until then, I guess I have to console myself with urban hikes to the coffee place.

Jester2000
09-18-2009, 15:25
As soon as the weather cools and we have a first rain, I'll go somewhere local. Until then, I guess I have to console myself with urban hikes to the coffee place.

Maybe there's a website run by homeless people who can give you advice on urban camping!

Mags
09-18-2009, 15:46
Maybe there's a website run by homeless people who can give you advice on urban camping!

...if it is thought up, it will be out there

http://www.hobolifestyle.com/

sbhikes
09-18-2009, 19:10
Actually, I did once stumble upon a pretty good one. http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/

Hasn't been updated in a long time, but the info there is useful.

sarbar
09-22-2009, 23:03
I was happy when I had read your journal that you had gone through Glacier Peak :) Bravo on that!

sbhikes
09-25-2009, 20:09
Thank you. I felt pretty darn elated to have managed that section so easily.

Dicentra
09-29-2009, 15:05
Wow! And you wanted so badly to be done too... Of course, nothing is better than being "out there" vs doing the work gig and stuff.

Good luck to you.