PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag

Flash Hand
08-01-2004, 10:05
I found this 0F degree sleeping bag, which is $139.97. Weight 3lbs 5oz, and the stuff size is 8 inches X 18 inches. So, let me know if it is a good sleeping bag for my thru hike leaving mid-February to September. It would be 4 seasons hike. Any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86902&memberId=12500226

Flash Hand :jump

smokymtnsteve
08-01-2004, 14:36
it is certainly enough bag for feb. be too much bag later in the season..and it's kinda heavy. starting in feb. you probably always get shelter space so instead of a tent carry a tarp.

Pencil Pusher
08-01-2004, 15:30
Hey Flash, if AT folks prefer down, then that sounds like a good bag to get. That'll keep you warm in the cold weather and after that you can just unzip it so you don't get too hot. Three pounds is a good weight for a sleeping bag, considering this one costs $140 and will keep you warm in the early months. If it does get too hot to sleep in as the summer approaches, maybe you could bounce it up to the Whites...

Flash Hand
08-02-2004, 01:14
it is certainly enough bag for feb. be too much bag later in the season..and it's kinda heavy. starting in feb. you probably always get shelter space so instead of a tent carry a tarp.

I'd rather bring tent and sleeping bag... because of those blood sucking critters during the night. I can sleep on the sleeping bag more often if the weather get too hot.

Youngblood
08-02-2004, 08:35
Flash Hand,

It can be difficult to get a good nights sleep if your sleeping bag is way too warm and it is cool enough that you need some insulation. When you have the overrated sleeping bag on you, you wake up because you are too hot and have to get the bag off of you. Then, a few minutes later you wake up because you are too cool and have to put the bag back over you. This process repeats every few minutes and you don't get a very good nights sleep.

Haven't seen you since Neals Gap. I posted one picture of you on the north side of Blood Mountain on Whiteblaze, but I have another of you at Walasi-Yi holding up a sign that I didn't post... it is a nice picture of you but your message "Flash Hand, 2004 GA -> ME" is hard to make out because I didn't use a 'fill flash' with the backlighting.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2004, 08:45
I'd rather bring tent and sleeping bag... because of those blood sucking critters during the night. I can sleep on the sleeping bag more often if the weather get too hot.

there will not be any blood sucking critters during feb-march...
we got rid of most of the vampires in GA-NC years ago. :D

grrickar
08-02-2004, 17:34
we got rid of most of the vampires in GA-NC years ago. :D
You must have deported them to Alabama then. I swear they are getting bigger and more aggressive each year.