PDA

View Full Version : Help with Backpacking Kitchen

twodifferentsocks
09-17-2009, 16:48
Hey all. I have learned so much from this forum. Converting myself from a mid90s gear junkie seakayaker to a thruhiker is proving difficult. I admire the lightweight people, and I am making real attempts at incorporating their good ideas into my travel design. There are a few things related to cooking that I am having a hard time compromising on.

Much of the tasty soudning cooking advice I have found here is reliant upon do-it-yourself dehydration and the creation of custom, highly structured meal plans for short durations of less than a week. My first attempt at long duration meal planning for a seakayaking trip ended in disaster. I created a highly detailed, highly structured meal plan for 3 weeks full of freeze dried, typical "backpacking" food. I became bored and sick of the food, because the food was so unlike what I normally eat at home.

On my next multiweek trip, I loosened things up a bit. I had a few durable staples, a few emergency meals that I knew I enjoyed, but relied upon resturants along my route to compensate for lack of quality. That seems to describe the typical AT thru hiker strategy.

I would prefer to eat the food that I eat at home. Simple meals based on fresh vegatables, cheeses, eggs, breads, pasta, etc. I am a simple cook- a farmer's market guy. I do not use the industrialized products: McCormick sauce mixes, Hamburger helper, Campbell's soups, and NEVER Mac & Cheese. I use fresh herbs when available, and do not use allspice's as they remind me of plastic for some reason.

On the other hand, I am not picky. I am not limited to "Raw Food", vegan ideologies, vegetarianism, organics-only. I am a bit of a food snob in that I will pay $10 for cheese where the Kraft brand is $4. Why? Because Kraft products taste like plastic! All I need is 1 tomatoe, 1 pepper, 1 onion, 12 eggs, 1 loaf of bread, pasta, cheese, bacon, milk and spices and I am happy.

Because I have few quality limitations, it is possible for me to shop at Food Lion (a lower quality grocer in the southeastern US) and find everything I need to eat well and be happy.

I am also not a gram wienie. I have zero interest in DEPENDING on boil-only meals, ramen, mac-n-cheese mixes, etc. I don't mind them in a pinch, but for days on end? No thanks. Because I like to cook and not boil, I have found it necessary to carry a white gas stove, and a complex yet compact kitchen system that weighs 10 pounds (including bear canister, 8" Global Chef's Knife and floppy cutting board). In a seakayak, size matters more than weight. Out of a seakayak, I can hitch to a grocery store and travel with fresh meats and vegetables. 10 pounds gives me a kitchen on wheels.

My question is: is it possible to travel via AT from Springer to Damascus and find fresh vegatables? I read the guide books and saw the grocery stores along the route. But what have you guys done?

And 2. Do you guys know any links that can show a list of foods and how long they last unrefrigerated, based on given temperatures? Eggs last about 4-5 days, vegatables a few days...that's all I know.

What do you think?

chknfngrs
09-17-2009, 17:38
I cannot respond to your first question as I've never thru'd.
I would use Google to research your second question.

You can eat whatever you want, you just have to carry it.

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 18:05
Just to play devil's advocate here... fresh food, while tasty, is heavy and there is a risk of spoilage. You are at the mercy of smaller stores who might not have a turnover of a bigger store and the product you might be buying could be closer to the end of it's shelf life. Variety may not be as great either so really do your research.

You sound picky, like me, so why not invest in a dehydrator so that you can prep and dry meals similar to what you eat at home. Here are a few photos of the kinds of things we eat on the trail... you'd just have to carefully plan for mail pickups in towns along the way. This is what we plan to do when we finally get enough time to do a thru on the AT or PCT and we've done it on longer backpacking trips too. I can't stomach things like what some of the typical thru-hiker fare is (spam, ramen, etc).

Moroccan Stew

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/triplogs/louisa2006/rockin-moroccan.jpg

Coleslaw

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/triplogs/louisa2006/slaw.jpg

Veggie and Rice Soup

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/food/balsamic-veggie-soup.jpg

Olive Tapenade (great on pasta too)

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/food/tapenade.jpg

Snowleopard
09-17-2009, 18:10
I would prefer to eat the food that I eat at home. Simple meals based on fresh vegatables, cheeses, eggs, breads, pasta, etc. I am a simple cook- a farmer's market guy.

Because I like to cook and not boil, I have found it necessary to carry a white gas stove, and a complex yet compact kitchen system that weighs 10 pounds (including bear canister, 8" Global Chef's Knife and floppy cutting board). In a seakayak, size matters more than weight. Out of a seakayak, I can hitch to a grocery store and travel with fresh meats and vegetables. 10 pounds gives me a kitchen on wheels.
And 2. Do you guys know any links that can show a list of foods and how long they last unrefrigerated, based on given temperatures? Eggs last about 4-5 days, vegatables a few days...that's all I know.

What do you think?
I agree with your sentiment, real food is better than trail food. I also like to cook, but don't like to carry a lot of weight.

10 lb for a kitchen system seems excessive. You'd be better off trading some of that gear weight for more (real) food.

A bear canister is [mostly] not needed on the AT; hang your food instead. Elsewhere a canister may be needed (Adirondacks, PCT, grizzly country).

You can save weight using a canister stove (e.g. Snowpeak gigapeak); they simmer better.

A Mora knife is 4 oz and is as good as a chef's knife or use a swiss army knife.

For one person, the most you need is one decent pot to cook and a small light pot to boil water (or a small frying pan if you're frying). You should be able to keep this under 1 lb.

As for food:
Somewhere here on WB there is a thread on carrying fresh eggs; treated right they can last a long time. Root vegetables should last longer than it'll take you to get to the next resupply (even in hot weather). For some veggies, use the stuff that doesn't keep well in the first day or two.

Have you tried freeze dried and commercially dehydrated veggies to add to your meals? http://www.packitgourmet.com/Vegetables-c13.html

Good luck!

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 18:28
There is also www.justtomatoes.com (http://www.justtomatoes.com) for freeze-dried fruits and veggies. Snow Leopard is right about the kitchen kit too. Mine, with an Outback oven, doesn't even weigh that much.

You'll also want to choose veg and fruit that doesn't bruise easily. Another thing you can do is grow sprouts along the way. It's uber easy to do and packed full of nutrition and fresh crunch.

This is day three of sprouts growing in my Nalgene...

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/laurie/aerialday3.jpg

add that to a wrap with some other veggies and shelf stable dressing... maybe even a pouch of chicken or seafood (for those who eat meat) and yummers! It's really easy to do and I think I might have posted it before... if not, I can post the instructions again if anyone wants.

Ranc0r
09-17-2009, 18:55
I'd say try to learn some more flexible, less "fresh"-intensive meals at home.

For my own part, I started with a 12" cast iron dutch oven, and learned several dishes (and varieties) of things I could cook in it. Then, starting with a reduces weight pot/stove system, tried to envision how to modify those one-pot meals into something I could hump all day and eat at night.

So, my trips end up with one fresh meat and veggies meal, one dried or packaged protein deal with dehydrated or reduced liquid side/accompaniment, and one packaged meal with a packaged protein source. Lasts 3 days (sometimes 4, since , like you, get tired of the same favors, no matter how well dressed up) and then I add or multiply as required to make my trip duration.

There are some excellent websites whose links you can find here, where you can find an idea or two to spice up your recipe book, but the bottom line is you will need to make at home what you want to make on the trail. There you will find out what you like and don't. Give it a shot, and try again :-).

Ranc0r

chiefduffy
09-17-2009, 18:56
Y'all are making me hungry

twodifferentsocks
09-17-2009, 19:40
Olive Tapenade (great on pasta too)

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/food/tapenade.jpg

Yay! Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm:)

Thanks for the advice. A section from Springer to Damascus will require intense planning using a dehydrated strategy. I don't want to repeat the errors of the past and over plan food needs. Flexibility has been my friend for so long I am scared to leave him behind.

twodifferentsocks
09-17-2009, 19:59
The 10 lbs includes hydration equipment and a 2.5 lb canister, so it's not all kitchen stuff. I've become quite comfortable with a 2 pot-fry pan lid combo. I'm giving all my old backpacking equipment to my nephew and starting from scratch, including my pots, oven and a Colman Peak1. I probably need to read Jardine before I plunk down the cash for new stuff, but so far I've found some products that seem like they'll answer weight/fitness for use issues.

In particular, I think I'm going to buy the Optimus Terra kit. 1.53 lbs. Anyone used this system? It's gotten good reviews.

slowandlow
09-17-2009, 20:31
After a couple of weeks on a strenuous section like Springer to Damascus you will develop an appetite such as you have probably never experienced before. Things that you would consider barely edible in normal life will taste delicious and things that were delicious will become much more so.
I won't say that your current meal plan will be impossible, just highly impractical. After a long hiking day, cooking speed and ease of preparation may likely take precedence over flavor, as long as whatever you eat fills you up. Nice meals can be had in town.
With regard to your kitchen system, you should be striving to keep your kitchen under ten ounces, not pounds. Ten pounds of kitchen equipment would constitute one-half to one-third of the average thruhikers total pack weight. A Snowpeak Litemax cannister stove, Evernew .9 liter Ti pot and one lexan spoon would have you easily under a pound for your kitchen, including fuel, but still allow you to "cook" as opposed to just boiling water.

Skidsteer
09-17-2009, 21:17
What do you think?

I think you'll be eating stuff that would gag a goat within a month.

I wish you luck though.

twodifferentsocks
09-17-2009, 21:37
A Snowpeak Litemax cannister stove, Evernew .9 liter Ti pot and one lexan spoon would have you easily under a pound for your kitchen, including fuel, but still allow you to "cook" as opposed to just boiling water.

LiteMax Stove - Titanium
GST-120

Material: Titanium, Aluminum,

Size: 3-7/8"diam x 3-1/2* 3 "

Weight: 1.9 oz

Output: 11,200 BTU's

storage case: cloth bag

Price: $59.95

Snow Peak Giga Power Fuel Canister - 110 grams Specs
Specification

Description
Suggested use Fuel for stove or lantern
Dimensions 3.5 x 2.6 inches
Weight 7 ounces

ULTRA-LIGHT DEEP POT DX 0.9L+0.25L

-ECA265(0.9L + .25L)

Capacity
- 30.4 fl oz (.9L) - 8.5 fl oz (.25L)
Dimensions
- 4.33 x 3.74 in / LID-4.33 x 1.18 in
Weight
- 4.4oz/125g
Material and Features
Titanium, silicone-covered handles, EPI gas canister 8.11oz/230g will nest into the pot, includes nylon stuff sack

4 inch pan? Not for me. The stove looks great. Thanks for the tip.

Tipi Walter
09-17-2009, 21:43
Variety and Flexibility work when it comes to backpacking, especially a thruhike. Oatmeal is (or used to be) a popular backpacking food because it could be found anywhere and has a quick cook time. And oatmeal mixes well with peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, and wild edibles like mustard greens, lambs quarters and chickweed. It might get old but if you're not hungry for oatmeal, well, you're just not hungry . . . enough.

Dorothy Laker thruhiked the AT 3 times and often relied on raw cabbage for her crunchy food fix. It's heavy but it stays fresh for a long time and keeps the jaws working.

It all boils down to what you can get easily close to the trail. And like slowandlow said, 10 lbs for the kitchen is too much even for me, I'm a one spoon, one pot, one stove type and hate washing out stuff especially in the middle of winter.

LaurieAnn has some cool fotogs and I like her Just Tomatoes link. Her meals look pretty good and I'm always open to new ideas. Everything gets old if you're out long enough, the PowerBars or granola you thought were so good at first will get a gag reflex in a few weeks. And so we get into variety and carrying exactly what you feel like eating.
Cantaloupe
Avocado
12 raw eggs(get a plastic suitcase for 'em)
Loaves of sprouted whole wheat bread
Apples/pears
Cheese/raw goat cheese--dang good
Exotic chocolate bars/70% cocoa
ETC

Eat like a king and don't worry about the weight. Those fancy $7 backpacking dinners in a pouch are way too salty for me. Always try something new.

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 21:49
Tipi Walter - I can't eat those backpacking meals either. I don't use a lot of salt and never have. I rely on what naturally occurs in most foods. Those things just seem so over-the-top with salt to me.

Good call on the chocolate. The 70% cocoa bars won't really melt in your pack either. I adore dark chocolate. Goat cheese will keep for some time in your pack and harder cheeses with less humidity content can last well over a week if wrapped properly.

If you can, ask the deli at the stores you stop at to repackage and vacuum seal cheeses and such in smaller amounts for you. Most places I've found will do it and only occasionally have I had to pay a small extra fee. This way the portions are self-contained and they will last longer. Air and moisture are the big culprits.

I too find that after even 10 days on a trip that I get really tired of gorp and granola bars. That's when I want fresher tastes, the crunch of greens and more savory foods.

twodifferentsocks
09-17-2009, 21:58
I think you'll be eating stuff that would gag a goat within a month.

Kraft Mac n Cheese makes me gag the first day.

Skidsteer
09-17-2009, 22:13
Kraft Mac n Cheese makes me gag the first day.

Just mix in some Nutella and a little grape Kool-Aid.

:D

turtle fast
09-17-2009, 22:34
Take some advice from a 08' hiker that had hiked from Springer and carrying food for 2 people. You WILL NOT be able to resupply with fresh fruits and veggies by buying from local sources. You can buy a lot...but not all locations carry fresh items. A lot of buying will be from Dollar Generals, small gas station stores, campground stores, etc. You can do mail drops and dehydrate food...but you are at the mercy of the postal hours, package delivery being correct, distance to the post office, etc. Your best bet is to do a little of each, buy in grocery stores in larger towns and do some mail drops. But....you may want to visit a local c-store and find what is palatable to you. You are going to be starving some days and would eat a limburger cheese sandwich with relish and want seconds!

Snowleopard
09-17-2009, 22:51
I'm getting really tempted to buy LaurieAnn's cookbook.

Stoves -- if you want to really cook you want something that simmers.
I have an older version of this Snowpeak. Without piezo lighter it's cheaper, but I like the piezo lighter. The titanium version if probably fine but more $$. http://www.rei.com/product/643058
A cheaper stove that ought to be good is:
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/793398
Pots: since you want to cook, get one reasonably light hard anodized aluminum pot (well under 1 lb). To boil water get an IMUSA aluminum mug (couple ounces) or kmart grease pot.https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html or a Titanium mug. For the optimus terra: you don't need 2 similar sized 8 oz pots and a frying pan; if they're any good you just need one of those pots and not the frying pan -- maybe this one? http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82433

For a bowl use a 2 cup ziploc twist top container (not much more than an ounce).

Hydration shouldn't use up much weight unless you're using a filter; platypus bottles weigh about 1 oz, many people just use soda bottles or gatorade bottles.

Don't get rid of your white gas stove; it'll be good if you ever go out in winter.

Try everything at home first, including recipes.

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 23:08
SnowLeopard sorry about that... I tend to be a little exuberant when it comes to talking about food - maybe I should post a disclaimer with photos?

You are so right... always, always try things at home... gear, food, everything. The worst place to find out that something doesn't work or that you can't stomach eating it, is on the trail.

Platypus type bottles rock. Mine are going on 9 years old.

White gas is brilliant in winter.

twodifferentsocks
09-18-2009, 00:18
I'm using Gatorade bottles and my Expedition weight 6 liter MSR Drom Bag. I like having a lot of water at camp. It's heavy (by 2009 standards) but it's coming with me, not full of course.

My weights are conservative. I have a full 2 pounds in there for 'miscellaneous'. I don't know what that 2 pounds is now or what it's going to be, but I'm sure by the time the pack is filled, 2 pounds of something will be there. I think we can all agree that there is a bit of pressure in this community to be the lightest. I have found that environments with pressure to be highest or lowest in any dimension tend to make folks overstate or understate consciously or unconsciously. I have seen not once, an earmark for 'miscellaneous' in one gear list on this website. Not once.

I have travelled with a version of this configuration before and with great success. However; reading the ultralight conversion stories on this site is making me reach out for more knowledge, question my wants and needs. I already know what I want to carry. I already know what has worked before. I have one 3 week solo and three 2 week solo seakayaking trips under my belt that have taught me what I truly need. Some of the knowledge I am certain will transfer brilliantly to backpacking. Not all, not most perhaps, but some.

The longest I have traveled on the AT is 4 days in Virginia. While attending Brevard College, we lived and played in Pisgah National Forest. But that was years ago, B.J. or Before Jardine. During those times, I ate on the trail like everyone else did: I boiled then ate crap.

My hope for this thread was to learn what the actual limitations of eating fresh food were on the route from Springer to Damascus, not from the guide books and not from Google. I respect your expertise and I appreciate your thoughts:)

Rocket Jones
09-18-2009, 11:33
To boil water get an IMUSA aluminum mug (couple ounces) or kmart grease pot.https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html or a Titanium mug.
Try everything at home first, including recipes.

WalMart has the IMUSA mugs. Found 'em in the kitchen gadget aisle.

And a big +1 on the home testing. At work I often have folks stopping by to see what kind of lunch I've brought, because they know I sometimes try out freezer bag cooking recipes.

snaplok
09-19-2009, 05:14
The 10 lbs includes hydration equipment and a 2.5 lb canister, so it's not all kitchen stuff. I've become quite comfortable with a 2 pot-fry pan lid combo. I'm giving all my old backpacking equipment to my nephew and starting from scratch, including my pots, oven and a Colman Peak1. I probably need to read Jardine before I plunk down the cash for new stuff, but so far I've found some products that seem like they'll answer weight/fitness for use issues.

In particular, I think I'm going to buy the Optimus Terra kit. 1.53 lbs. Anyone used this system? It's gotten good reviews.

As a real food cooker myself, it's a toss up between the Optimus Terra kit and the GSI Covered Wok. I have both and use them mostly depending on what my menu options are and how many people I'm cooking for. Both were well worth the money. I do use the wok more, but that's because I tend to cook for 2-4 people or more. Plus the wok weighs an ounce less and the lid doubles as a serving or eating bowl. ;)

I also use:
an Optimus Crux stove that I'd be hard pressed to find another that suits my needs. Weight=3.3 ounces and folds flat into a pouch that fits under the MSR canisters.

GSI Lexan 3pc cutlery set at 1 ounce. The lexan knife can cut thru raw or cooked meat.

A Snow Peak cutting board/canister stove stand at 2.75 ounces. keeps the stove stable and doubles as a CUTTING BOARD lol.

If I have kids with me then I add in a couple of Light My Fire sporks at .34 ounces. 1 pc knife, fork and spoon. They think it's a cool toy.

All that, and I still have my base weight down under 15lbs with a 3 person tent, sleeping bag, pack, and pad included. Still looking to go lower still, but won't give up the heavier cookware. IMHO it's my small vise for a greater happiness. :)

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 09:30
I too, use the GSI Lexan cutlery. I have the shorter ones which fit great inside the pot set with some of my other cooking gadgets.

sarbar
09-22-2009, 22:55
On cutlery....all you truly need is a long handled spoon. Or a spork. Nothing more. You can cook nearly anything with one utensil.

Your pocketknife can dice cheese, if you need a fork, whittle chopsticks out of two found small twigs.

Simplicity is what you will crave after a while.

Carry freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables, fruits and beans (and meat if you eat it) and yes, you can still eat well and be a foodie. finding fresh could be done but it will be very, very hard and your appetite will go to crazy town quickly. You will find in town you are eating massive portions of food you would not eat at home.

I did a lot of trail angeling this summer on the PCT and I can say the crap food is what always went first. Chips, beer, pop, shelf stable cheese, pouched meats, cookies. Sitting in places like Cascade Locks, Oregon I watched my friend Tom eat TWO Reuben sandwiches that were dinner plate sized. He had maybe 3 hours earlier eaten a double cheese burger that would have fed me for 2 days :p

Crap food fills the soul up and more so is very easy to burn - so don't discount it yet!

spindle
09-23-2009, 11:52
I think whatever ideas you have about how and what you want to eat will be tossed aside a couple weeks into your hike.

So will ideas about how much weight you're willing to carry.

I live near the halfway point(Ice Cream Challenge!) in PA. Thrus who make it that far eat anything and everything and go back for forths. Not one of them will carry a 10lb kitchen system that's even remotely "complex".

You'll be able to find fresh stuff here and there. You'll want that after you've gorged on whatever is FAST and RIGHT NOW available.

Don't worry about how long items will last in your pack. With exceptions on certain sections of the trail, you'll find a resupply every couple, or few, days.

Enjoy your preparations! :)

mudhead
09-23-2009, 12:19
Just mix in some Nutella and a little grape Kool-Aid.

:D

While that is just wrong, I might try couscous and Nutella.

This is good reading.
http://www.trailcooking.com/

Pretty fancy for a scurve like me, but you might like it!

Dicentra
09-23-2009, 12:24
On cutlery....all you truly need is a long handled spoon. Or a spork. Nothing more. You can cook nearly anything with one utensil.

Your pocketknife can dice cheese, if you need a fork, whittle chopsticks out of two found small twigs.

Simplicity is what you will crave after a while.

Carry freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables, fruits and beans (and meat if you eat it) and yes, you can still eat well and be a foodie. finding fresh could be done but it will be very, very hard and your appetite will go to crazy town quickly. You will find in town you are eating massive portions of food you would not eat at home.

I did a lot of trail angeling this summer on the PCT and I can say the crap food is what always went first. Chips, beer, pop, shelf stable cheese, pouched meats, cookies. Sitting in places like Cascade Locks, Oregon I watched my friend Tom eat TWO Reuben sandwiches that were dinner plate sized. He had maybe 3 hours earlier eaten a double cheese burger that would have fed me for 2 days :p

Crap food fills the soul up and more so is very easy to burn - so don't discount it yet!

Ditto all of that. Especially the trail angeling and crap food... The thrus were LOOKING for us to give them chips and chocolate. The second thing that went? Ramen packets.

Dicentra
09-23-2009, 12:26
I live near the halfway point(Ice Cream Challenge!) in PA. Thrus who make it that far eat anything and everything and go back for forths. Not one of them will carry a 10lb kitchen system that's even remotely "complex".

A lot of the thrus out here will have completely ditched the stove all together by the time the reach Washington... Lots of peanut butter, tortillas, pop tarts and other junk food being eaten.

There is no one "right way".

sarbar
09-23-2009, 14:49
While that is just wrong, I might try couscous and Nutella.

I just might have to try that :D

Farr Away
09-24-2009, 11:23
Homemade Chocolate Nut Butter

1 1/2 cups hazelnuts or peanuts (can probably substitute other nuts)
1/4 to 1/2 cups chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet, or milk)
1 to 3 Tablespoons canola oil

Process nuts, chips and 1 Tablespoon oil in food processor until smooth. Add additional oil only if needed for a smooth texture. Enjoy.

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 11:51
Farr Away - this also works well with chocolate chips and cashew butter (you don't need but a teaspoon of extra oil). We've also made the nut butter in the way you posted but added a pinch of cinnamon. Yummers.

slowandlow
09-24-2009, 13:07
ULTRA-LIGHT DEEP POT DX 0.9L+0.25L

-ECA265(0.9L + .25L)

Capacity
- 30.4 fl oz (.9L) - 8.5 fl oz (.25L)
Dimensions
- 4.33 x 3.74 in / LID-4.33 x 1.18 in
Weight
- 4.4oz/125g
Material and Features
Titanium, silicone-covered handles, EPI gas canister 8.11oz/230g will nest into the pot, includes nylon stuff sack

4 inch pan? Not for me. The stove looks great. Thanks for the tip.

This is the deep version which makes for a smaller diameter, I was referring to the standard :http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ECA252 which is over 5 inches across and makes for more efficient fuel usage as more heat is applied to the bottom of the pot before travelling up the sides. The lid can also be used as a plate, but not as a frypan. In the interest of further weight reduction you could leave the lid at home and use a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil instead. Take a look at this one, it may do what you need.

mudhead
09-24-2009, 13:43
Homemade Chocolate Nut Butter

1 1/2 cups hazelnuts or peanuts (can probably substitute other nuts)
1/4 to 1/2 cups chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet, or milk)
1 to 3 Tablespoons canola oil

Process nuts, chips and 1 Tablespoon oil in food processor until smooth. Add additional oil only if needed for a smooth texture. Enjoy.

Thanks! That sounds like my style of Nutella. Bet you need screaming hot water to clean the processor!:D

sarbar
09-24-2009, 15:32
Almonds work well in making chocolate spread. The husband brought me back some from Germany a couple weeks ago that was SO good!

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 16:34
Thanks! That sounds like my style of Nutella. Bet you need screaming hot water to clean the processor!:D

screaming husband works too... lol :D