PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT advice

LimpsAlong
09-17-2009, 17:41
Well, been wanting to hike the AT since High School. I'm 52 and will be doing the Springer to Woody section in a few days. I know about the falls at mile 5 but are there any other side trails worth doing? I've got 3 days so I think I've got plenty of time to make a few side trips. Also, is it worth the climb at the state park to see the falls. We may end the trip with that before heading back to Texas.
Thanks and I'm stoked!

Speer Carrier
09-17-2009, 18:01
Amacalola Falls can be seen from the bottom without climbing a step, and if you want, you can drive up to the top of the falls and see that without climbing a step.

Egads
09-17-2009, 18:12
The 2 mile hike from Neel Gap to Blood is worthwhile

cowpoke
09-17-2009, 22:46
Fairly straight forward section...long creek falls is nice...as is three forks...understand there has been a re-route at Justus creek I believe...don't know much about it..hope to see you along the trail...I'll be walking south from Woody Gap starting 26th...enjoy your hike..

dreamsoftrails
09-17-2009, 22:47
when you hike to springer mountain, take the BMT once you start making your way down. it will meet up with the AT, plus it has some rarely seen views the southeastern side of springer mountain.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-18-2009, 09:08
check out the hike inn off the AT nice place to stay good food

ChinMusic
09-18-2009, 09:52
check out the hike inn off the AT nice place to stay good food

The Hike Inn is nice but it is not between Springer and Woody.

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 12:40
I'll be going north 21st - 23rd. I was unaware of a falls at 3 forks. Thanks for the heads up.

MkBibble
09-18-2009, 14:40
I was in your boots just last week; thought about walking the AT for many years and finally did it! Lots of fun!

You've probably already made arrangements, but if you haven't, I would strongly recommend Hiker Hostel near Woody Gap; I spent the night there before flying back to Texas. Josh and Leigh are wonderful!

I thought the Justus creek area was nice and the campsite at Cooper Gap was a dive. We crossed paths with a bear just after the clearing north of Justus creek. That was very exciting.

There was an in-ground hornet nest, right in the middle of the trail 1/4 mile from the top of Springer, and a Yellow Jacket nest beside the trail half way between Cooper Gap and Gooch Gap. My partner got stung five times in the first two days. They got several other people that I talked to as well.

Take your time and take it easy on your knees. I occasionally have knee issues when I run, but I had a very hard time! Lighten your pack as much as possible (I was carrying about 32 pounds - took WAY too much food), and consider carrying a Cho-Pat strap - they are cheap and light. And, don't accidentally leave your poles in the hotel.... I found out they don't do ANY good there...

You are going to LOVE it!

dreamsoftrails
09-18-2009, 14:55
I'll be going north 21st - 23rd. I was unaware of a falls at 3 forks. Thanks for the heads up.
there will be a side trail to the fails on your left from the AT. be careful in this area because there is a third trail, the BMT trail, that also intersect here and it goes off to the left. Of course, you can take the BMT from springer mt. and the three forks area will be the last time it sees the AT, so you would want to take the AT from there. i believe the AT and the BMT intersect 2-3 times until three forks.

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 15:28
I would strongly recommend Hiker Hostel near Woody Gap; I spent the night there before flying back to Texas. Josh and Leigh are wonderful!
(I was carrying about 32 pounds - took WAY too much food), and consider carrying a Cho-Pat strap - they are cheap and light.
You are going to LOVE it!

Yup, I'm using Josh and Leigh to shuttle to Springer. Cho-Pat strap ??? Unaware of what that is? Please enlighten. BTW my pack is 28lbs but weighs 6 lbs empty. Gotta get another pack!
Thanks for the info.

MkBibble
09-18-2009, 15:38
I had planned to go to Neel's Gap, but near the end of the first day my knees started hurting VERY badly. We made it to Cooper Gap (11.8 miles) the first day; I limped along the next two days at about 4 miles a day (Gooch Gap then Woody Gap).

Level ground and even inclines weren't too bad, but I just could NOT get down the hills! After Leigh picked me up I met a hiker at the Hostel that let me try his cho-pat strap. The pain virtually disappeared - even going down the Hostel's stairs! I had never heard of it until then.

You can find a lot of info via google. I have read a lot since I got back about knee pain and avoiding it, but I will not go back out without a cho-pat strap!

MkBibble
09-18-2009, 16:00
Although REI does not call it a cho-pat strap, the piece I tried on looked just like this.

http://www.rei.com/product/704434