PDA

View Full Version : Need help with finding thermals

The Doctor
09-17-2009, 19:31
I need to find a good pair of wool or synthetic thermals for the upcoming winter months. I want someting that will stay warm and will dry easily if it gets wet. I dont want a really thick pair but something more like thin leggings. Any suggestions on where to get a good pair or any recomendations?

Tuckahoe
09-17-2009, 19:39
I have not purchased anything from this company, but someone posted this a couple months back. Might be what you are looking for -- http://www.minus33.com/merino-wool-baselayer-index.html

Tipi Walter
09-17-2009, 21:54
These are the best I've found:

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_man_bodyfit200_leggings_with_fly.html

Wags
09-17-2009, 22:00
i find that fleece dries faster than wool. just my opinion/experience

SlowLightTrek
09-17-2009, 22:30
I use these military synthetic thermals. http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/subcat/323/Performance_PolyPro_Underwear

snaplok
09-18-2009, 00:43
I ended up going to Boston for Valentine's Day weekend this year and for a Patagonia flagship store there that has the capaliene 1,2, and 3's on sale for like $10/top or bottom. Ended up getting 7 pairs of the 2's and they've taken me from backpacking to snowboarding in Vermont on Easter. Now I swear by them.

rusane
09-20-2009, 21:40
I just bought a base layer made by Smartwool. I haven't had them out in the elements yet but they had great reviews. I bought the zip tee and the leggings. I tried them on when I got home and they feel great - we'll see. I bought the midweight, but they come in lightweight and microweight depending on your intended use. I got them from Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS.com) I was hesitant due to the price, but the reviews I read convinced me.

brooklynkayak
09-20-2009, 22:07
I always wear a Merino wool base layer in cold weather. The advantages over the synthetic:
1) Less smelly, you can wear them for days with much reduced funk over synthetic. I will always wear synthetic on top of the wool though.
2) More comfortable. Nothing feels better against the skin. Synthetics can grow bacteria that can irritate the skin.
3) Although merino wool doesn't dry as fast as synthetics, it does insulate pretty good wen wet and body heat tends to evaporate the moisture pretty good.

I wear merino wool as my base layer when hiking or paddling in the cold and especially at night inside my sleeping bag as it is very comfortable and dries quick from body heat.

I like synthetics as my mid and top layers, merino wool against the skin is my choice.

I would consider bamboo as I've heard it has similar properties.

Summit
09-21-2009, 12:48
i find that fleece dries faster than wool. just my opinion/experienceI agree. Wool got knocked off my gear list a few years ago (except for socks). Fleece drys much faster and doesn't itch.

Cool AT Breeze
09-21-2009, 13:25
Been wearing merino base layers for three years now. I will never go back to the synthetics availible today.

Mags
09-21-2009, 13:27
Ah...the fleece/synthetics vs. wool conundrum. Here is my own very biased take from http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/intro-to-snowshoeing.html

The key sentence?

It honestly does not matter for most people; it comes down to personal preference. As long as you do not use cotton, you should be fine.
:sun

Of course, you CAN mix and match, too. ;)

Anyway....

SIDE NOTE: Wool vs Fleece (or Wool vs Synthetics)

There has been a bit of resurgence in the use of wool for backcountry use (esp in base layers). So what to use? It honestly does not matter for most people; it comes down to personal preference. As long as you do not use cotton, you should be fine. Many people use a combo of wool and synthetics (esp in winter). If you are curious of the pros and cons of each, here is my personal take:

Wool

Warm when damp
Can be inexpensive (thrift stores, surplus) or expensive (Smartwool, Ibex, etc)
Tends to breathe better than synthetics
More durable
Less odor
Takes longer to dry when wet (and becomes heavier)
Usually bulkier and heavier than comparable synthetics or fleece

Synthetics or Fleece

Dries quicker (but is not warm when damp)
For base layers, good ole' polypro can be ridiculously cheap
Usually less heavy and bulky than the wool equivalent
Can get a pungent odor

So what do I use?

For winter use, when I am more concerned about warmth than weight (and I am wearing most of my layers), I tend to favor wool base layers (except for the liner socks) as it is more forgiving of sweating I find. A wool hat tends to be warmer if it gets damp in snow vs a fleece hat as well. A surplus wool sweater is now my warm layer of choice, too. In the cold, dry conditions of Colorado, I find wool works very well overall.

In three season backpacking, when weight and bulk is a chief a concern (and most of my layers are stowed), I tend to wear synthetics. Any moisture in spring through fall tends to be rain (or very wet snow), so the quick drying properties of synthetics comes in handy.

Overall, you may find one combo works better than another based on your budget, availability of what you may already have or just personal preference.

emerald
09-21-2009, 13:50
Ask a turkey vulture. They know all about finding thermals.