PDA

View Full Version : Newby advice needed on foot care.

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 09:25
How many here wear liner socks? I've taken countless day hikes but am going on my first 3 dayer. Never had a problem w/just wool socks but am curious about foot care on longer hikes. Any input is appreciated.
PS, I've got really old feet!

Phreak
09-18-2009, 09:34
I wear Wrightsocks, they have a 2-layer design that prevents blisters.

rhjanes
09-18-2009, 09:35
I use them. Walk 3 to 4 miles a day, wear them. If not, then I usually wind up with blisters. I have very odd feet however. Have trouble getting shoes (think 13 NARROW, as in B or C in a dress shoe). Since I started using the sock liners, no blisters, even with brand new walking shoes.

That all said. You CAN just take a pair of cheap light-weight nylon dress socks. Use them if you start getting blisters.

garlic08
09-18-2009, 09:37
I don't wear or carry liner socks any more, though I did when I started. A single layer of Smartwools work fine for me now. You'll eventually find what combination of shoes, socks, and shoe inserts work for you and if you've lived a good life or are very lucky, that will happen sooner rather than later. It took many months for me.

Don H
09-18-2009, 09:39
Hey Limps, your no older than you feel. In fact we're the same age! I don't wear liners, I never liked the way they make my feet feel like they're sliding around. IMO blister prevention has a lot to do with toughening you feet up by doing some training prior to a hike. I walk 6 -8 miles a few days a week, that helps me to get in shape. Also the shoes you wear make a big difference, proper fit, not too tight. I like running shoes, not boots. If you feel a hot spot starting take care of it right away by taping. I use Leukotape which is a sports tape that sticks like nothing else I've found. I leave in a few days for a 100 mile section hike in CT and MA. Just my opinion.

Jayboflavin04
09-18-2009, 09:41
I wear smart wool socks with smart wool liners. I really cant ditch the liners because it creates just a little moe room for my foot to slide around.

garlic08
09-18-2009, 09:57
Hey Limps, your no older than you feel. In fact we're the same age! I don't wear liners, I never liked the way they make my feet feel like they're sliding around. IMO blister prevention has a lot to do with toughening you feet up by doing some training prior to a hike. I walk 6 -8 miles a few days a week, that helps me to get in shape. Also the shoes you wear make a big difference, proper fit, not too tight. I like running shoes, not boots. If you feel a hot spot starting take care of it right away by taping. I use Leukotape which is a sports tape that sticks like nothing else I've found. I leave in a few days for a 100 mile section hike in CT and MA. Just my opinion.

All excellent advice (and basically exactly what I do)(and I'm the same age, too)! Especially the tape. I think a roll of sports tape works best too. Sticks well, and breathes.

I'm also leaving Sunday, for the Wonderland Trail, 93 miles around Mt Rainier.

Pootz
09-18-2009, 10:06
How many here wear liner socks? I've taken countless day hikes but am going on my first 3 dayer. Never had a problem w/just wool socks but am curious about foot care on longer hikes. Any input is appreciated.
PS, I've got really old feet!

Choosing the right shoes and socks is a hard problem that takes time to figure out.

The best advice I can give you about your feet/socks/liners/boots/shoes is to experiment and find what works best for you. Try on shoes and socks with your pack on and fully loaded. There is a big difference between comfortable shoes with and without your pack. I will not buy shoes in a store that will not let me take a short walk in them.

I have found that light weight wool socks and trail runners work best for me but I do not walk in your shoes.

Do not buy something just because someone else says it works for them. And if you start having foot problems try something different.

Good luck

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 11:47
Well, good tips all. I'm glad to see there are some out there my age. I think I'll start out without liners and keep the moleskin handy. Dang, I guess like everything else there is no way to know till you've been there. I'm doing springer to woody monday and have a couple of early 20's relatives going with me. Ya'll read about a couple of young bucks dragging an old hiker to safety after he breaks something brittle in his legs you'll know who it is.
Thanks guys

Jester2000
09-18-2009, 16:30
Well, good tips all. I'm glad to see there are some out there my age. I think I'll start out without liners and keep the moleskin handy. Dang, I guess like everything else there is no way to know till you've been there. I'm doing springer to woody monday and have a couple of early 20's relatives going with me. Ya'll read about a couple of young bucks dragging an old hiker to safety after he breaks something brittle in his legs you'll know who it is.
Thanks guys

I think it's more likely that I'll read about an old hiker dragging a young buck to safety after the young buck does something stupid.

I've never worn liners. I wear merino wool socks and haven't had a problem. Actually, that's not true. I've had lots of problems, none having to do with my socks.

JFHAYJ
09-18-2009, 16:50
injinji toe sock liners, you will not find a better liner, ZERO, skin to skin contact, one pair lasted me 38 miles with washing, just take them off at night, let the feet and liners air a little and then they are ready the next morning. www,injinji.com

Jonnycat
09-18-2009, 16:51
One layer of smartwool socks. Smaller ones for my left foot, thicker ones for my right foot.

You can still get blisters no matter what kind of sock/sock+liner combination you wear if your boots aren't fitted/tied properly for your feet and/or the conditions you will be hiking in.

It takes a few blisters to start noticing the how and why all of it works, and what solution works best for you. Gotta pay yer dues.

Jester2000
09-18-2009, 17:29
Gotta pay yer dues.

Gotta foot the bill.

Egads
09-18-2009, 18:45
I wear Wrightsocks, they have a 2-layer design that prevents blisters.

Ditto, Sometimes I wear two layers of them at once. Just bought a pair of New Balance trail runners to try out.

LimpsAlong
09-18-2009, 19:17
My handle might be an omen. We'll see. I'll take all the advice given and hope I can avoid most of the stupid mistakes.
Thanks guys

rangergirl
09-18-2009, 23:03
never wear liners, tried them once, got blisters. Mostly, i wear smartwool. I hike up to 25 plus miles in a day, also do a lot of backpacking. Have worn heavy boots as well as light hiking 'shoes'. If i feel a hot spot, I begin with new skin, then moleskin. If i have a blister, i use 2nd skin after popping the blister. Rarely have any issues, though, with light boots and single layer of socks.

Rocket Jones
09-18-2009, 23:13
One layer of smartwool socks. Smaller ones for my left foot, thicker ones for my right foot.

Ya know, this is something I never would've thought of myself. Which isn't surprising, if you ask my wife. :o

Del Q
09-19-2009, 06:49
All good experience sharing, I wear liners, use BlisterShield, nice fitting socks and lightweight boots NOT too tight and a 1/2 size larger than "street shoes". No blisters in the last two years, prior to that BIG ones, rub my feet with Isopropyl alcohol 2x per day starting about 10 days before I go back out..........which is on Wednesday, MA & VT, yippee!!!!!!!!!

Summit
09-19-2009, 07:58
I've always been a two-layers of socks guy. I don't have blister probelms with trail runners, but have had problems with toe jamming leading to sore toenails, followed by eventual loss of toenails. This thread, and various solutions people have suggested is leading me to try different sock solutions on my upcoming fall hikes - one 4-day hike in a week in Shinning Rock Wilderness, and a week-long hike from Elk Park to Damascus in late October.

On the 4-day hike, I plan to take more socks than I normally would to test some different combinations. I have some Wrightsocks - ankle length that are two-layers built-in. I'm going to start with just those. I'll have my merino wool liner socks and a pair of heavier wool outer socks also, and try all combinations of the three types, single layer and double layer to see what works best.

Wags
09-19-2009, 09:00
equally as important as the brand of socks, to me, is the decision to change the pair of socks i'm wearing at lunchtime. doing this and letting my feet air out for 20-30 min in the middle of the day is what i believe is crucial to keeping my feet from blistering

brotheral
09-19-2009, 10:41
I've always used liner socks with a merino wool hiking sock and proper fitting boots. NEVER had blister problem. I take my boots and socks off immediately when breaking for the day. Also: when taking long breaks during the day, I take off my boots. Sometimes socks too...
This works for me...

singing wind
09-19-2009, 20:46
After reading about here at whiteblaze about a university football team using vaseline or some similar product on their feet to help prevent blisters I decided to give it a go. Tried hand cream in a pinch and found that lip balm with a natural base applied lightly to feet and inbetween the toes seemed to work the best. I'm also fastidious about keeping my feet clean, including clean socks every day or if socks are muddy and wet every day (as they were in Maine in July, 2009 - only 2 days dry feet in 15 and mud up to the shins at times...) rinsing them out to get out the microgrit as much as possible.
I'm happy to say the lip balm kept my feet from going to prunes and the blister reduction was significant. BTW, I prefer wearing only liner socks and trail runners - getting the shoes off and letting those toes air/dry out as much as possible.
A memorable summer and hiking experience..
This is after years of experimentation and finally finding shoes that fit. Everyone is different and you'll find what works for you in cold or hot weather or anything in between.

Good luck!

SunnyWalker
09-19-2009, 21:03
We are not talking winter hiking here but warm hiking. I use one layer with either my Keen hiking shoes?boots or with my Salomon boots. The type you might buy at Wal-Mart. Not the see thru, not that think, and not cotton type stuff but nylon blends and so on and so forth. No problems and I'm a happy camper. On a day hike though I usually take one break where I take my socks off, wash the feet if I can and put on clean socks. If no creek, I use alcohol I brought along for that.

Mr. Clean
09-20-2009, 05:38
I wear two pair of smartwool, and it has been working well, but I want to try liners to replace one pair of wool. With two layers, though, you have to make sure that your shoe will accomodate the extra bulk, and at the end of a long hike, your feet also swell. I've had to go to one pair of socks so that everything fits, but mostly the two pair system has worked well for me.