PDA

View Full Version : Trail shoes

sharky
09-18-2009, 18:35
I have just finished my second bout with blisters from my Asolo TPS 520s. I am officially ready to switch to trail runners, although I have several requirements:

Vibram sole
Fits medium-narrow foot shape
Fits medium to high arch
Very stable a la Salomon 3D Ultra-type stability
Must be Gore-Tex

Anyone have any suggestions?

sbhikes
09-18-2009, 19:13
Why a vibram sole? I find vibram to actually be very slippery.

Try going to a running store. They really are very helpful.

sharky
09-18-2009, 20:08
I've had great luck with vibram and really trust them. I've been very intrigued by the Kayland Dragonfly Event shoe.

Deadeye
09-18-2009, 20:24
If you can live without Vibram, Salomon has plenty of shoes that fit your bill. I wear them, the soles seem to have plenty of grip, IMHO they're grippier than Vibram. Usually plenty of styles available at Zappos or Sierra Trading Post.

Phreak
09-18-2009, 21:19
If you can live without Vibram, Salomon has plenty of shoes that fit your bill. I wear them, the soles seem to have plenty of grip, IMHO they're grippier than Vibram.
I agree.

Usually plenty of styles available at Zappos or Sierra Trading Post.Also check The Running Warehouse and Altrec.

Egads
09-18-2009, 21:46
I'm in the same boat as you Sharky; just bought some New Balance MT910GT trail runners to try and stop my blisters this is my 6th shoe to try out.

Summit
09-19-2009, 07:41
I've tried several different trail runners over the last couple of years, although for some unknown reason, they have not included Salomons. But I'm pulling out my Merrell Moab Ventilators that have about 300 miles on them for my two upcoming fall hikes. They have been very good to me! :)

The Merrell Moab Ventilators are in the class called "cross-trainers" and do have Vibram soles. In my experience I have found Vibram soles to grip wet rock better than the typical running shoe soles.

My problem has not been blisters, but sore toenails followed by loss of toenails. I always trim them short as I can and buy shoes that have ample toe box room, but cannot seem to completely resolve this problem. The Merrells have had the least problem in this aspect.

Jonnycat
09-19-2009, 12:28
Why a vibram sole? I find vibram to actually be very slippery.

Try going to a running store. They really are very helpful.

There are several different grades of Vibram, each with it's own friction coefficient. The Vibram on my Vasque Summit boots is very "grippy", and has excellent traction on wet rocks, while the Vibram on the Asolo 520s is very slick on even try terratin (this was my reason for not choosing the Asolo boots).

I think the slicker type of Vibram used on the Asolos might last longer, but that's just a guess. I know if I had the slicker ones it wouldn't make a difference how long they lasted cuz I'd pretty much be a goner if I wore them around here.

SunnyWalker
09-19-2009, 21:16
Summit: I got the solution for you. The Keen brand hiking shoes have the room you need in your toe box for your problem. Check them out, buddy. Hey, when are you hiking and where? Maybe I could meet you?

sbhikes
09-19-2009, 21:25
My advice on trail shoes, aside from what I wrote above about going to a running store, is to buy your shoes a couple of sizes bigger than what you are used to.

What you want is for there to be about an inch or more of space above your toes, but you don't want them to be so loose you have to tighten the laces so far the eyelets are close together.

Shoe salesmen will sell you shoes that are too short. It's what they are trained to do. Then you'll have trouble with blisters on your toes and loss of toenails. You don't want the shoe to touch your toes. Look for trail runners with extra big toeboxes. You might have to go to an extra wide shoe, too. One guy in the book Fixing Your Feet (http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/) goes so far as to cut off the toebox completely, although I'm not sure exactly what that means.

I started wearing shoes 2 or 3 sizes bigger than what I measure on one of those measuring devices. My longest toe comes to the 5 but my shoes are a size 8 4E. I have had absolutely no problem with my feet sliding around because I wear lightweight wool socks. Wool seems not to slip around. The shoes don't feel big to me at all.

Before I got these 8 4E shoes, I had been wearing an 8.5 that was narrower and was stubbing my toes on rocks because my feet were sticking out over the edges. And way before I got those 8.5s, I had worn traditionally fitted shoes and was losing toenails after every backpack trip. I'll never go back to shoes that a salesman says fit me. They fit shoes for people who sit in offices, not for people who hike long distance trails!

I have wide feet with short toes, and the second toe longer than the big toe, so this is how I manage. YMMV.