PDA

View Full Version : Good Thru-Hikers

SunnyWalker
09-18-2009, 23:19
Please describe a Thru-Hiker or another Hiker you encountered who was friendly, courteous, helped you, was especially good to someone, one whom you would be glad to be associated with in this "hiker fraternity".
:sun

SunnyWalker
09-18-2009, 23:22
I met a fellow hiker from Germany at one of the first shelters after Springer Mtn. This was a couple of years ago, when I was section hiking GA. He was so ticked he saw a bear during the approach hike to Springer, from Amicolola Falls (sorry about spelling). He was very friendly and the next morning he described to me the mice running across his bag (I was in a hammock).

Red Hat
09-19-2009, 12:04
There have been many over the years! To name just a few: Cuppa Joe; Troll, Achor, and Oblivious; Scholar; Redwing and Hopeful (all from 2005); for this year it would have to be Spokes. Some I have met off the trail such as Marta and Jan Liteshoe. I know there are more good ones than bad ones out there!

dreamsoftrails
09-19-2009, 12:11
Please describe a Thru-Hiker or another Hiker you encountered who was friendly, courteous, helped you, was especially good to someone, one whom you would be glad to be associated with in this "hiker fraternity".
all the ones i met hiking this year. already forget most of their names.

Tractor
09-19-2009, 12:24
Gosh, there are so many. A very few: PaddyO for the magic and the magic, Rugged Shark, Mrs. Robinson, Stridder, FatManWalking, Orion, TheBigUnit, Butch Casady, all of whom are stand up folks. Many more over the years of the same caliber.

emerald
09-19-2009, 13:00
Please describe a thru-hiker or another hiker you encountered who was friendly, courteous, helped you, was especially good to someone, one whom you would be glad to be associated with in this "hiker fraternity".

I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but it might be helpful were people to read the opening post again. It is a good and timely request.

Rather than list names of hikers many don't know or have never met on the trail, new readers might benefit more were the qualities exhibited by hikers mentioned made known.

While it may be gratifying to these individuals to be so recognized, I'm doubtful it will be of much use to those who have never met them, have never been on the A.T. or know little about it's customs and traditions. What makes these individual hikers pleasant companions, courteous, helpful, etc. or great ambassadors and how might we encourage new hikers to adopt these same qualities?

emerald
09-19-2009, 13:18
I was impressed by Tractor's efforts in preparation for his section last year in Pennsylvania and appreciated his contributions to our thread on water sources upon his return home. He made good use of WhiteBlaze and shared what he learned so that others following him might benefit.

I've assisted others who haven't reciprocated. I don't expect to get something back every time, but it does encourage more giving and makes it easier to put up with some of the less pleasant aspects of volunteering when I see people who have benefited giving something back.

Reid
09-19-2009, 14:29
One of the biggest influences I've had on my hiking "career" was when I met a guy named Ray on the foothills trail. I don't know if he had a trail name or not, he had thru'd A.T. though. He seemed to enjoy the here and now and was the most content guy I'd met in a long time. Walked at a really slow pace, whistled alot, wasn't worried about any of the things I worried about. I remember him saying that he was surprised that he had paid all of his bills that year on time. Don't know why that stuck with me but he was as down home and gentle as anyone I know. No pun intended here but I've caught myself not enjoying my hikes alot and I always try to remember to hike the "ray-way".

Just a Hiker
09-19-2009, 17:06
It's always fun meeting great people on the trail! A hiker named "Just an Echo" is probably the most generous hiker I've ever hiked with, and probably the nicest. I've had the opportunity to hike with some interesting people as well......hiking with "Tyvek" was fun because he had a million jokes and watching him hike barefoot through the White Mountains was certainly a sight.....hiking with Bob "501" McCaw is fun because he's a great conversationalist and card player......trying to keep up with the young guys of the "Switchback Posse" in 2002 was alot of fun because even though they partied alot, all of them could really hike! Running into Phreak and his wonderful dogs is always a pleasure as well. Also, guys like Lone Wolf, Seiko and Jack Tarlin always treat hikers decently when you get to their respective trail towns. There's lots of decent people and hikers in the AT Community.

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 17:39
i'll have to say that Jack Tarlin has been the most generous to me over the years. all those times he's given me a piece of his mind have proven so valuable. Thanks Jack. sincerely. ;)

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 17:39
i'll have to say that Jack Tarlin has been the most generous to me over the years. all those times he's given me a piece of his mind have proven so valuable. Thanks Jack. sincerely. ;)

and just in case some of you think i'm being sarcastic and harsh, i mean this in all sincerety. thats why i said sincerely.

The Mechanical Man
09-19-2009, 20:12
"Robo", gets my vote, you will know why, when you meet him.

SunnyWalker
09-19-2009, 21:10
Sounds good so far. Thanks, Emerald. Please don't just list names. The names are so unique and fun sounding, tell us the story behind them, or hikers you met, experiences shared, giving done, suffering won over, talk!

sbhikes
09-19-2009, 21:12
I hiked the PCT. I don't like rain. I got rained on in Washington. It made me frustrated and scared and I spent a lot of time fretting about it and yelling curses on the trail.

After I completed the trail I drove back home with my boyfriend, stopping at places along the trail on the way. The first place we stopped was Steven's Pass where I hoped to pick up some hikers and take them to Skykomish to try to pay back some of the kindness that people had given to me.

We picked up a guy. I don't even remember his name. It was misting when we picked him up and it had been raining the night before. I said something to him about the weather and he had this look on his face for a moment that said, "What weather?" Then he said, "Oh, you mean the rain? I don't mind the rain because it makes me hike farther each day." And he actually meant it.

That's when I realized what it was that almost all thru-hikers I've met have that I seemed to lack: A relentlessly positive attitude in the face of whatever adversities are thrown at them. It is this trait that makes the majority of thru-hikers I've ever met such amazing and wonderful people. They are radically alive with a fire in their eyes and radiate a positive attitude that I hope someday to cultivate.

SunnyWalker
09-19-2009, 21:18
SBhikes: Wow, that is a neat post. Wow, thanks. Wonderful!

emerald
09-19-2009, 21:29
One of the hikers I admire is Lester Kenway of Maine Appalachian Trail Club. He was Baxter State Park's seasonal trail crew leader for a number of years and he spearheaded the effort to replace the sign on Katahdin earlier this year.

Working on the A.T. with him is a singular pleasure and he has a fine sense of humor. In fact, he had put on a packing list he provided to trail crew members, somewhere near its top, a durable sense of humor and I've repeated his suggestion here.

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 21:36
Working on the A.T. with him is a pleasure and he has a fine sense of humor. In fact, he put on a packing list he provided to trail crew members, somewhere ner its top, a durable sense of humor.

i gotta say that you make his "fine sense of humor" sound about as exciting as a box of stalactites. but good for him. and you.

modiyooch
09-19-2009, 21:38
Rick and Tim, SOBO 1980, who felt compelled to stop their high mileage pace to take me under their wings and show me the ropes in backpacking. I was avg 6-8 miles a day. I was alone. I had an extremely heavy pack. They had me ship a bunch of things home and had me up to 17 miles a day by the time we parted. I truly wish they could see me now.

emerald
09-19-2009, 21:51
I gotta say that you make his "fine sense of humor" sound about as exciting as a box of stalactites.

Touché you rapscallion. I'll have you know I recalled the ASCII code for the é I just posted! Need I remind you stalactites are a weapon under the right circumstances? You'd best not invite me on a winter hike because you just gave me an idea.:D

If you or others don't understand what my earlier post was about, I'll have you know Mainers are wicked funny even more so to someone from away. Maybe you need to read Teej meata right leica mainer tawks. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35394) It hasn't been seen on many screens lately.

Don't worry, I'll be back with the link for those who can't be bothered to do their own searches.

Different Socks
09-20-2009, 11:07
Back in 1992 I hiked the trail A large group of us got caught in a BIG blizzard in the Smokies. There was an older couple in the group that helped me in many ways. I don't recall if they had trail names. I still write to them every year since.
During one especially cold day, I couldn't get my shirt buttoned so the wife did it for me. Another day, a strap on my pack ripped clean off and the husband sewed it back on for me.
Later, when they had gotten off the trail, they sent us baked goodies to our mail drops!

Jack Tarlin
09-20-2009, 14:47
One of my absolute favorite hikers was a guy I met way back in the spring of 1997. I was hiking in Tennessee and we came to a road crossing in the middle of nowhere. There was a little sign, tiny, really, that encouraged hikers to walk up the road a bit and visit a brand new hiker facility. In that it wasn't listed in any of the books and none of us had heard anything about the place, we were a little bit leery, but decided to risk checking it out. I remember saying to one of my friends "It's probably OK, guys, but the minute anyone gets the "Deliverance Dude" vibe, we are SO out of there!!"

Well, we checked the place out, and of course it turned out fine.

The place was Kincora and the guy was Bob Peoples, who probably remains my favorite hiker to this day.

You never know what you're gonna find out there!! :D

The Weasel
09-20-2009, 14:57
Smoky Mountain Steve.

Steve is pleasant to walk with. He talks when it is good to talk, and is quiet when that is best. He smiles a lot, and helps without getting in your way, and lets you help him when he needs it, and thanks you. He does friendly things, without looking for much more than a smile and a "Thank you." He tells jokes, most of them not really great, but pleasant, and the good ones are, well, good. He listens to what you say, responds by agreeable disagreement sometimes, and has opinions of his own that he gently shares. He wears well, and you don't mind seeing him often, and when you don't, you miss him, even after, say, 8 or 9 years. But you stay in contact, and you're glad to know you're remembered by him.

In short, a good hiker is a good friend. Thanks, Steve.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-20-2009, 20:33
Smoky Mountain Steve.

Steve is pleasant to walk with. He talks when it is good to talk, and is quiet when that is best. He smiles a lot, and helps without getting in your way, and lets you help him when he needs it, and thanks you. He does friendly things, without looking for much more than a smile and a "Thank you." He tells jokes, most of them not really great, but pleasant, and the good ones are, well, good. He listens to what you say, responds by agreeable disagreement sometimes, and has opinions of his own that he gently shares. He wears well, and you don't mind seeing him often, and when you don't, you miss him, even after, say, 8 or 9 years. But you stay in contact, and you're glad to know you're remembered by him.

In short, a good hiker is a good friend. Thanks, Steve.

TWhe threw a water balloon at me while i was riding my harley in the TDs parade. not cool. not good.. i almost dumped the bike. he almost got his skinny little behind thumped

Chaco Taco
09-20-2009, 21:02

Jeff at Green Mountain House!!

TD55
09-20-2009, 21:04
he threw a water balloon at me while i was riding my harley in the TDs parade. not cool. not good.. i almost dumped the bike. he almost got his skinny little behind thumped

You got scared of a water balloon?

rambunny
09-20-2009, 21:18
By the way Jack a long over due thank you for hiking out to get me Vit I in the Shenny's, The list would be too long, but i truely think the same things that make you a good person is what we are talking about.

Blue Jay
09-21-2009, 10:19
The place was Kincora and the guy was Bob Peoples, who probably remains my favorite hiker to this day.

I make a point to meet as many thrus each year as possible and the majority of the time each one has been very special and an honor to meet. Over the years only a handful have caused any problems at all that I have witnessed, other than a few dog teeth in my legs. If I had to single out a few I would say Rob Bird, Stumpknocker, Liteshoe, Mrs. Gorp, Jack, Bob, Lone Wolf and Old Pfart (not in any order). All of these people make the AT soooo much more than "just walkin". I'm sure as soon as I finish this I will regret mentioning someone, therefore I salute all those I have met over the years and you know who you are. Oh, I just thought of one, Weary. I've never met you but you are one of the best people I don't know.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2009, 10:29
Baltimore Jack cooked me some pork chops and told us some funny stories about Matty. Mr. Parkay thanked me for some "Trail Fun" (I don't do magic) and put names to the faces in my WB pic gallery. I'm sure there are others out there that I can't recall.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2009, 10:31
Is this only about thru-hikers?

Blue Jay
09-21-2009, 10:31
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but it might be helpful were people to read the opening post again. It is a good and timely request.

Rather than list names of hikers many don't know or have never met on the trail, new readers might benefit more were the qualities exhibited by hikers mentioned made known.

While it may be gratifying to these individuals to be so recognized, I'm doubtful it will be of much use to those who have never met them, have never been on the A.T. or know little about it's customs and traditions.

New readers who have never been on the AT but plan to do so will meet or in some way be touched by at least a few of these individuals. You really do have to meet them, explaining their qualities in words on a computer is impossible. Saying they all enjoy helping other hikers just does not cut it. Unfortunately others like Mr. Shaw and Tilly Woods will only be known by those of us how were priveleged to have met them.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2009, 10:34
Gene Espy autographed his book for me.

Jack Tarlin
09-21-2009, 16:06
Funny, he autographed mine, too.

And no, this thread doesn't have to just be about thru-hikers (note I talked about Bob Peoples, who as far as I know, hasn't thru-hiked and doesn't plan to anytime soon).

Jester2000
09-21-2009, 16:44
I'm really kind of shocked no one's mentioned me yet.

Jester2000
09-21-2009, 16:51
I'd have to say that one of the most generous, wonderful people to hike with and around was H.R. Huff 'n' Puff, a member of Team Bad Wizard and someone I met last year while on the PCT.

Just one example of his capacity to be a trail angel while thru-hiking:
His brother lives in Ashland, OR, and Huff blasted out ahead of me by a few days and set up his brother's house as a temporary hiker hostel, taking in 20-30 hikers while he was there. He stayed in Ashland about a week, shuttling hikers to and around town. He stocked the bathroom and kitchen with everything a hiker could want, and stayed behind for a couple of extra days to clean up.

And then, because he's a badass superhiker, he caught up to me. Or maybe I'm really slow.

whitelightning
09-21-2009, 16:54
I met Lone Wolf last year at Hawk Mtn. shelter. After we chatted for awhile he offered to pick me up anything I needed in town and meet at Gooch Gap the next night. I told him the only thing I really needed was a fuel canister, as I had neglected to start out with a full one. The next day, he gave me one he had in his truck. The next time I saw him was at Dot's and I bought him a beer. It seemed to be the only gratitude he would accept.

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 20:17
I met Lone Wolf last year at Hawk Mtn. shelter. After we chatted for awhile he offered to pick me up anything I needed in town and meet at Gooch Gap the next night. I told him the only thing I really needed was a fuel canister, as I had neglected to start out with a full one. The next day, he gave me one he had in his truck. The next time I saw him was at Dot's and I bought him a beer. It seemed to be the only gratitude he would accept.

Yea he's ok. My finace seems to really like him. No idea why:D

Bare Bear
09-22-2009, 17:33
Two come quickly to mind:
Pastor John from Cumming, Ga who was the most positively motivated and friendly guy whose only sadness was his wife would only let hime hike two weeks a year now due to his age and extremely arthiritic legs. He would hobble and limp into camp hours after everyone else then exclaim and list twenty things that made him so glad to out hiking today! It sure made me a better person for having hiked with him a while. Pastor John is also one of those guys that knows every bird and animal and plant in the forests and can tell you what the pioneers used them for.

Next would be Model T who has written many books about the AT and hiking and non-hiking books about the areas and people along the trail. He was very positive and encourging and gave good advice that I wish I had followed at the time :) but will follow when I thru again. A very interesting man and his friend Ranger Dog (Dawg) as well.

Doctari
09-22-2009, 18:42
Other than the 3 guys who allwed me to accompany them all those years ago: Trip, Sly & Bear. My first seriously wonderful trail personage was Mala. Yep, That one.
It was a small thing he did, but it made my first long trip possible: without preaching or making me feel green (altho I was serously green) he quietly helped me PROPERLY adjust my pack with a few gentle words. He also spent a few hours each night at a few of the GA shelters we shared telling wonderful & funny trail stories. Ask me someday about "Ralph Underbush". I'm just thankful I was laying down when he got to the punchline cause I would have fallen over otherwise. :D

Sadly, I have forgotten the names of all those others that fit the description posted here:
There were ones that helped me push past homesickness on many occasions.
Without me asking got water for me when my knees were so bad I couldn't even stand after making camp. Actually insisted!
Stopped me & made me set up camp & get in my sleeping bag the last time I got really bad Hypothermia, thereby saving my life (I truely believe they did save me). THANKS guys!
Left just the right food at just the right time in hiker boxes.

Sailor (The other one)
09-22-2009, 19:04
Last fall, Mudpie and I did two weeks starting at Three Forks and heading north. We had lots of problems and I tend to be way too cynical, so much so I feared I might be too negative to complete a thru. But the number of hikers and non-hikers who helped us along the way caused a profound change in my outlook. Ever since, I've been much more sure, peacefully sure, that no matter what happens out there either we'll handle it or someone will show up to help us. The whole story is too long to tell here (its in 3 parts titled "There are Angels..." on my site), but a real short version includes the two Alabama couples who offered us a ride into Suches without us asking; Joshua from Mountain Crossings, who spotted us trudging toward Woody Gap, whipped his jeep around and gave us a ride out of Suches; Jim the section hiker who who showed up exactly like Mudpie said someone would when we misplaced our water filter and not only let us use his but gave us some Micropur just in case; Everybody we met working at Mountain Crossings and especially Alpine, who gave us a shakedown, and Pirate who volunteered a ride to town to resupply after our mail drop failed to appear; the gang from Grace Church in Alabama; the day hiker who walked over to us at some gap and gave us the most astonishing brownies without ever saying a word; and the unnamed backpacker who helped get us off Blue Mountain and more and all that in just two weeks.

The Weasel
09-22-2009, 19:06
he threw a water balloon at me while i was riding my harley in the TDs parade. not cool. not good.. i almost dumped the bike. he almost got his skinny little behind thumped

Sure he was throwing at you? Was it the only water balloon for the day? Not a great thing, but not necessarily a disqualifier, as not the only dumb thing to do at TD.

TW

Jack Tarlin
09-22-2009, 19:12
Hmmm. If the missile in question was actually aimed at Lone Wolf, it probably wouldn't have contained water. :eek:

Lone Wolf
09-22-2009, 19:49
Sure he was throwing at you? Was it the only water balloon for the day? Not a great thing, but not necessarily a disqualifier, as not the only dumb thing to do at TD.

TWthe SOB looked directly at me, smiled, then pitched it right at me. jerk

yappy
09-22-2009, 19:59
rude dog on the Pct did an amazing thing for me. I slipped in the Sierras above a frozen pond and i was headed fast to get very cold and wet. he actually got IN... I swear he looked like he was getting ready to deliver a baby.. preparing to stop my mad dash into the water. he got soaked. I stopped with my ice ax... but still, wherever you are rude dog we are still bonded !

Chaco Taco
09-22-2009, 21:45
the SOB looked directly at me, smiled, then pitched it right at me. jerk

You are a target unfortunately! Your fame and popularity have earned you spots on peoples hit list's. Next year, hunt the dude down with a posse and soak him with a fire truck hose. You got the pull! I smell retribution! Theme for Traildays, Revenge!!!!!

Chaco Taco
09-22-2009, 21:47
http://www.reddirtkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/apocalypse_now_smell_like_victory.jpg

The Weasel
09-22-2009, 22:30
the SOB looked directly at me, smiled, then pitched it right at me. jerk

Well, to his credit, at least he smiled and hit the target. You wouldn't respect someone who missed at that range, and if he looked enraged, you would have hunted him down right there. :rolleyes:

TW

Lone Wolf
09-22-2009, 22:50
Well, to his credit, at least he smiled and hit the target. You wouldn't respect someone who missed at that range, and if he looked enraged, you would have hunted him down right there. :rolleyes:

TW
he missed. he's blind as hell. he wears coke bottles. good thing he missed. i'da kicked his ass if i dropped the bike.

slow
09-23-2009, 00:15

TW

If not on that over wt slug...WELL.:-?

Gray Blazer
09-23-2009, 09:08
If not on that over wt slug...WELL.:-?

You too? Great minds think alike.

slow
09-24-2009, 22:00
You too? Great minds think alike.

Lets just cook some steaks in FL this Nov... on me for all.:)

Tinker
09-25-2009, 00:39
One of the high points of every hike I have is being able to help other hikers (especially newbies). Extra food, TP, directions, gear suggestions, etc. If I can make hiking more enjoyable for fellow hikers it makes my day.
When I did my Georgia section I met lots of thru-hopefuls. It was just a section hike for me, but I got a chance to look after a hiker who had made some bad gear choices and help him a bit farther up the trail (I don't think he finished).
Helping others is a BIG part of my hiking - in real life I'm a big JERK! :D. ;)

Gray Blazer
09-25-2009, 07:03
Lets just cook some steaks in FL this Nov... on me for all.:)

Now that's a good hiker!

The Weasel
09-25-2009, 10:43
he missed. he's blind as hell. he wears coke bottles. good thing he missed. i'da kicked his ass if i dropped the bike.

Maybe he missed on purpose. Those glasses might actually work. :D

TW

SunnyWalker
09-25-2009, 18:45
On-topic posts on this thread are a delight to read. The characters on the AT and their stories and our experiences are part of the magic of the AT. Much talk here ON WB about the social aspect of the AT. This thread helps us to get a glimpse of that while at home. Thanks very much. I hope a few more post.