PDA

View Full Version : Critique of My Plan for GA Section Hike?

Lucinda
08-01-2004, 12:49
Hello Veteran Hikers,

I've been backpacking a lot through GA and NC and now I'd like to tackle some section hiking (it's about time!!). A thru hike of the AT is great fantasy material, but there's no way I'd give up my job in Atlanta. I'm thinking of hiking the 70-odd miles in GA in October with my hiking pal with the following itinerary. We'll be using hammocks. Please let me know what you think.

1) Stay over night in at the Hiker's Hostel near Dahlonega and start hiking on a Monday. I'm hoping I can leave my car there until I get back a week later. If I can't, what are my options for getting to Springer? How expensive is it to get from midtown Atlanta to Springer? Any shuttle recommendations?

2) First night out stay near Hawk Mountain Shelter.

3) Tuesday night stay near Woody Gap.

4) Wednesday night stay at Neels Gap Blood Mountain cabins or the hostel at Mountain Crossings. Any advice on one or the other? I'd prefer the cabin and I'm hoping availability won't be a problem.

5) Thursday night stay near Low Gap Shelter.

6) Friday night stay near Tray Mountain Shelter.

7) Saturday night reach Dick's Creek Gap and then stay somewhere in Hiawassee. Seems like there lots of accommodation options here...any particular recommendations? Availability may be a problem in October. I'd like to stay at Blueberry Patch, but I heard that it's closed except to southbound hikers. Why would that be?

8) Shuttle back to Dick's Creek Gap and finish up to the state line. What are your recommendations for getting a shuttle back to the Hiker's Hostel in Dahlonega? What would you recommend if I had to get back all the way from the state line to Atlanta?

Thanks in advance for your help! Any other advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

SGT Rock
08-01-2004, 13:11
My reccomendation:

1. Drive to Amicolola and pay the $2 entrance fee, then park across the street from the visitors center. The $2 will cover you for your entire hike, and your car will be right at the end of the trail. There is a shelter and a shower area within walking distance. Both are free.

2. Arrange a shuttle to pick you up and take you to Dick's Creek Gap and start your hike. Do the section up to bly gap and back then go south to Springer and finish with the approach trail back to your car which is safe and sound with everything you need to clean up and change out of nasty hiking clothes. Well, hike as you please, but the good thing is at the end, your car is right there where you need it to be.

Lucinda
08-01-2004, 13:38
Sarge,

That is a great idea. Any recommendations on who could run a shuttle from Amicalola to Dick's Creek Gap early on a Saturday morning? Your plan would allow us to start out on Saturday rather than Monday. I haven't used the shuttles before. Do they always remember to pick you up and are they fairly timely? I'm just afraid something would go wrong, the shuttle would miss us and we wouldn't get to where we needed to be!!

SGT Rock
08-01-2004, 13:47
I don't know any shuttle names, but if you go to the ATCs website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/), they have a PDF file with all the known shuttles for each state that care to list themselves. They guy who did my shuttle for me is Hacksaw (Joe Tallant), but he doesn't do them anymore because of health problems. Here is a link to the shuttle list: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/cars.html

Hikerhead
08-01-2004, 14:33
You might want to call Gene Hamilton in Hiawassee, just below Dicks Creek Gap. His name/number is on the list Sgt Rock spoke of.

Youngblood
08-01-2004, 15:29
Hello Veteran Hikers,

I've been backpacking a lot through GA and NC and now I'd like to tackle some section hiking (it's about time!!). A thru hike of the AT is great fantasy material, but there's no way I'd give up my job in Atlanta. I'm thinking of hiking the 70-odd miles in GA in October with my hiking pal with the following itinerary. We'll be using hammocks. Please let me know what you think.

1) Stay over night in at the Hiker's Hostel near Dahlonega and start hiking on a Monday. I'm hoping I can leave my car there until I get back a week later. If I can't, what are my options for getting to Springer? How expensive is it to get from midtown Atlanta to Springer? Any shuttle recommendations?

4) Wednesday night stay at Neels Gap Blood Mountain cabins or the hostel at Mountain Crossings. Any advice on one or the other? I'd prefer the cabin and I'm hoping availability won't be a problem.

7) Saturday night reach Dick's Creek Gap and then stay somewhere in Hiawassee. Seems like there lots of accommodation options here...any particular recommendations? Availability may be a problem in October. I'd like to stay at Blueberry Patch, but I heard that it's closed except to southbound hikers. Why would that be?

8) Shuttle back to Dick's Creek Gap and finish up to the state line. What are your recommendations for getting a shuttle back to the Hiker's Hostel in Dahlonega? What would you recommend if I had to get back all the way from the state line to Atlanta?

Thanks in advance for your help! Any other advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Lucinda,

I have hiked the Georgia section a few times and posted some general comments a few months ago in this message, http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=42397&highlight=Georgia+section+hike#post42397 .

I did notice that the mileage between Low Gap Shelter and Tray Mountain Shelter was a good bit more than what your other days would be. I haven't talked to Josh & Leigh at the Hikers Hostel in a few months, but I think the do allow people to leave vehicles there with their permission, of course. I saw a group of backpackers at Dicks Creek Gap last weekend waiting for Josh or Leigh to pick them up after their Georgia section hike, so I guess that answers that question. I have used Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap for both resupply and an overnight stay with shower and got a ride into Blairsville for dinner.

On my last GA section hike, we used Deep Gap in North Carolina as the northern end point and the parking lot near Springer Mountain as the southern start point. We used our own vehicles for the shuttle. We used Deep Gap in NC because we thought we might want to continue the section hike into NC and didn't want to have to backtrack twice around Bly Gap. I posted some photos and a mini trip report on Georgiahikes.com. You will also find discussions that led up to the final hike plans.

Hope this helps,
Youngblood

Rain Man
08-01-2004, 18:20

7) Saturday night reach Dick's Creek Gap and then stay somewhere in Hiawassee.

If your first day includes the approach trail, then that's a long day to Hawk Mtn Shelter, unless you're in pretty good shape. 16 miles or so.

In Hiawassee, one of the name-brand motels has a hot tub. Some of the Trail Journals reports from this year's thru-hiker crop wrote about it. Worth checking out.

Rain Man

Lucinda
08-01-2004, 19:15
Youngblood,

Your point about the long stretch to Tray Mountain is well taken. We might be able to squeeze another couple of miles out the night before and camp along the trail (I just don't want to go too far off the trail during hunting season). It's not necessary for us to stay at the shelters.

Rain Man,

My original plan was to start at Springer, thus avoiding the Approach Trail. But now I'm thinking I might try Sgt. Rock's idea of hiking southbound. So the last day would be soley the Approach Trail which is pretty easy when you're going downhill!!

The hot tub idea is definitely worth pursuing.....

Chappy
08-03-2004, 08:35
Sarge,

That is a great idea. Any recommendations on who could run a shuttle from Amicalola to Dick's Creek Gap early on a Saturday morning? Your plan would allow us to start out on Saturday rather than Monday. I haven't used the shuttles before. Do they always remember to pick you up and are they fairly timely? I'm just afraid something would go wrong, the shuttle would miss us and we wouldn't get to where we needed to be!!

I've used Fred and Joyce Woodward, Blairsville, GA, 706-745-5188. Always on time and on target!

orangebug
08-03-2004, 08:59
... I might try Sgt. Rock's idea of hiking southbound. So the last day would be soley the Approach Trail which is pretty easy when you're going downhill!!

What makes me think that these are famous last words?

Be real gentle on yourself regarding NoGA hills and distances. These can be a real challenge. The long (almost) roadless section from Dick's Creek Gap to Unicoi Gap is one of the hardest hikes you can face, at least without having to scramble and crawl over boulders.

Regarding hiking season, please include some blaze orange in your apparel, especially a hat, pack cover or vest. Be most aware of your surroundings between Blood Mtn and Woody Gap, as there are back roads used by hunters, and this was the area of a near tragedy two years ago. I have seen hunters on the trail between Dicks Creek and Bly Gap. Just try to avoid having a white cap or an exposed white tail. I have a hunter friend who talks of nearly shooting a fellow hunter who was toileting on a ridge.

Have fun. It is a great section.

Bill...

Rain Man
08-03-2004, 10:21
.... So the last day would be soley the Approach Trail which is pretty easy when you're going downhill!!...

Going downhill is easy, eh? I trust that's your experience, because for me it's just the opposite. Going downhill causes my body more pain than going uphill.
:D
Rain Man

Lucinda
08-03-2004, 10:51
Yes, I went downhill from Springer in February 2003. I had stayed at the Hike Inn the night before, went up to Springer from there and then came back along the Approach trail. It was amazing because all the trees had iced over. As I walked along, ice would come crashing to the ground as the temps got warmer. I got some great pics. I'm definitely a winter hiker

Rain Man
08-03-2004, 12:54
Yes, I went downhill from Springer in February 2003. I had stayed at the Hike Inn the night before, went up to Springer from there and then came back along the Approach trail. It was amazing because all the trees had iced over. As I walked along, ice would come crashing to the ground as the temps got warmer. I got some great pics. I'm definitely a winter hiker

Then cool and double-cool!!!
:sun
Rain Man

markellag
08-30-2004, 15:41
I plan a similar trip. I will begin Saturday, Sept 11, being shuttled from Hiker Hostel to Blue Ridge Gap, near NC-GA border, from Hiker Hostel. Leave car at Amicalola. hike to Amicalola the week of Sept 11 thru 18.

Hello Veteran Hikers,