PDA

View Full Version : April 2009 Thru Hikers

Czechtrecker
09-19-2009, 00:46
I was doing a section hike in the Whites last weekend, Ethan Pond to Liberty Spring and passed quite a number of thru hikers that started in April of this year. Most of them didn't seem to be in the mood to talk, but I did chat briefly with Bottom Bunk, Speed Stick, 10 X 10, and Jacob between Garfield and Lafayette. All were in good spirits and making good time.

Pedaling Fool
09-19-2009, 08:34
This reminds me when I got to that area in late 2006 as a NOBO’er and was passing all the SOBO’ers. They were leaving entries in the journals busting on us about how uncivil the NOBO’ers were. They claimed we seemed to be on a "mission" and we weren’t really enjoying our hike and how they were better than us because they were enjoying their time on the trail. They were claiming that there was no way they would become as miserable as we were, they talked as if we were two separate species.

All this reminded me of the two SOBO’ers I had passed in NC/TN earlier that year when I was just getting started. It’s rare for NOBO’ers to see SOBO’ers in the beginning of their trip, but these guys some how got slowed down. I remember passing them, saying hello, with a little bit of excitement in my voice, but that excitement wasn’t returned, they seemed to be on a mission; extremely tunnel-visioned and marching inline with military-like determination.

Their presence was noted, with much excitement, by all NOBO’ers and was big talk for a couple days, with everyone saying, "did you see those SOBO’ers…" OR "did you see how fast they were walking…" OR "Those guys seemed miserable...". They were kind of like rock stars to all of us newbies; rock stars that were too good for us, kind of above us. I'm not busting on them, because I think I became them by the Whites, probably well before there.

So regardless which direction you’re headed, toward the end you’re a little burned-out.

Pedaling Fool
09-19-2009, 08:40
All this reminded me of the two SOBO’ers I had passed in NC/TN earlier that year when I was just getting started. It’s rare for NOBO’ers to see SOBO’ers in the beginning of their trip, but these guys some how got slowed down. I remember passing them, saying hello, with a little bit of excitement in my voice, but that excitement wasn’t returned, they seemed to be on a mission; extremely tunnel-visioned and marching inline with military-like determination.
Those guys didn't even stop to talk when I stopped and clearly wanted to talk to them, they just left me there hanging. Yeah, they left me "hanging", that's what I felt like, like when you extend your hand for a handshake and the other person doesn't reciprocate. But no hard feelings, now I understand.:sun

SOBOTORTOISE
09-19-2009, 10:10
I believe it's due to stress created by having to arrive at Katahdin before it closes due to weather. Sobo's know that Springer is never closed.

Chaco Taco
09-20-2009, 10:10
My experience with SOBO's was great. We met a cool group in Vermont. Didnt see too many in NH because sooooo many had dropped out. The rivalry between SOBO and NOBO is so lame! I would love to do a SOBO.

As for meeting NOBO's in NH. It all goes back to the attitude. Alot of thru's feel so much unwarrented animosity towards section hikers. It too is pretty lame. I was the most excitted when we reached VT,NH and I didnt want it to end. I guess that Thru's get tired of talking about the same thing over and over when they see sectioners because they all ask the exact same questions.