PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors in Maine?

volleypc
09-19-2009, 08:02
Looking for inside information about the tree conditions in Maine? Are any of you starting to see any color?

attroll
09-19-2009, 08:15
I am looking out my window now and the colors out back are just starting to change.

emerald
09-19-2009, 12:47
To read the report, for foliage updates or to subscribe them, a foliage forum, a kids' page, FAQ, where and when to view foliage, a foliage gallery and plenty more, point your browser to www.mainefoliage.com (http://www.mainefoliage.com) provided by Maine's Department of Conservation.

walkin' wally
09-20-2009, 20:51
I have been up to the Nahmakanta-Debsconeag area the last few days and the colors are starting now but still are about 85% green.

Just a Hiker
09-20-2009, 20:57
We've had a wet year here in Maine so the colors will be early......the Maples are already changing.

jamarshall
09-21-2009, 19:11
Just spent a week at Abol Bridge and the color there is spotty. A few maples, mostly near the water. A lot more color in the Rangeley area, but not peak yet.

Uncle Tom
09-23-2009, 06:33
I just got back from sectioning 46 miles from Route 17 to 27,( Map 6) came out 9/22. Not much color, I'd say 30 % is accurate.

Bluebearee
10-03-2009, 17:54
Just back from BSP where colors are about at peak - lesser so down here on the mid-coast of Maine. Typically Columbus Day w/e is peak, but that does depend where you are in Maine.

superman
10-03-2009, 18:18
After reading these posts about maine I wondered where NH stood. I'm looking out my window at a lot of color. http://foliage.visitnh.gov.ns1www.silvertech.net/index-flash.html

woodsy
10-03-2009, 18:50
Looking for inside information about the tree conditions in Maine? Are any of you starting to see any color?
Its peaking, most everywhere now.
Was up in the Bigelows last week, Beautiful.

walkin' wally
10-05-2009, 06:53
Just got back from Monson/Greenville yesterday and the colors are about peak there now.:sun

warraghiyagey
10-05-2009, 07:32
Just got back from Monson/Greenville yesterday and the colors are about peak there now.:sun
Sweet, we'll be up there Friday. . . :sun

Tinker
10-05-2009, 08:48
From Mt. Washington in NH it appeared that the colors were just starting to change as of last Monday (the 28th).

Chaco Taco
10-05-2009, 14:04
I would imagine that right now Maine is stunning. We summited almost a year ago and it was killer right about now. Never seen anything so beautiful than Maine in fall:D

boarstone
10-13-2009, 19:22
Up in Monson/Greenville today, still some tree color but leaves are falling and we had snow all day today! didn't stay on the ground but did cling to the trees for awhile.

weary
10-13-2009, 19:39
Up in Monson/Greenville today, still some tree color but leaves are falling and we had snow all day today! didn't stay on the ground but did cling to the trees for awhile.
Yeah. And more snow is predicted for the high country tonight. It's a reminder of why wise folks urge thru hikers get to Maine early. Baxter Park camping rights expire Thursday. After then you must bivouac outside the park (I recommend Millinocket. The beds are softer there)

Don't give up summiting. The weather usually clears before these early storms close the mountain until winter hiking begins in December. (with numerous additional restrictions) But after Thursday hikers face the added hassle of getting to and from the mountain that thru hikers have been chasing for many, many weeks.

Weary