PDA

View Full Version : Carver's Gap to Erwin

10-K
09-19-2009, 12:35
Forgive me father, it has been 1 month since my last hike....

Time to get back out there!

I've got a break October 2-5 and I'm planning on taking my wife on her 3rd hike. For logistical reasons, we need to hike around the Erwin area and the 2 easiest hikes to arrange will be Carver's Gap to Erwin or Devil's Fork Gap to Hot Springs (we've did Devil's Fork Gap to Erwin in August).

So... I'm thinking of the 2 hikes, Carver's Gap to Erwin would be the better choice.

Is the water flowing ok through this section?

bigcranky
09-19-2009, 12:49
Oh, yeah, Carver's Gap to Erwin is a great hike. Roan, Beauty Spot. Mmmmm. Early October would be a good time to do it, too.

Morning Glory
09-19-2009, 14:42
Water is flowing great around here. If you need any shuttle help, let me know.

Jeff
09-19-2009, 14:54
Carver's Gap to Rt 19E is also spectacular and you can end up at Mountain Harbor Hostel/B&B .... one of the nicest, hiker friendly hostels on the trail.

10-K
09-19-2009, 15:02
Carver's Gap to Rt 19E is also spectacular and you can end up at Mountain Harbor Hostel/B&B .... one of the nicest, hiker friendly hostels on the trail.

Yeah, this is a great section. I'm looking for something in the 30-40 mile range though and if I remember right it's only 12-15 miles between Carver's Gap and 19E.

When I went through there I was going SOBO, I also remember thinking it'd be a lot easier NOBO. ;-)

Summit
09-19-2009, 16:55
Mountain Harbor Hostel/B&B .... one of the nicest, hiker friendly hostels on the trail.Absolutely a must stop/detour! Terry and Mary are super folk! Terry was in a car accident a few years ago that caused some brain damage, so he may come across as a little aloof, but he's a great guy with a huge heart! I'll be staying there the 24th of October to start a week hike north to Damascus. Hope we can persuade Mary to fix us five guys her awesome breakfast! ;)

Summit
09-19-2009, 17:12
Yeah, this is a great section. I'm looking for something in the 30-40 mile range though and if I remember right it's only 12-15 miles between Carver's Gap and 19E.

When I went through there I was going SOBO, I also remember thinking it'd be a lot easier NOBO. ;-)You could start at Iron Mt. Gap (TN route 107) for a 28 mile hike to 19E or USFS 230 to Beauty Spot for a 36 mile hike.

If you need a shuttle from 19E, Terry @ Mountain Harbour B&B can shuttle you at reasonable rates (google for phone #).

10-K
09-19-2009, 18:40
You could start at Iron Mt. Gap (TN route 107) for a 28 mile hike to 19E or USFS 230 to Beauty Spot for a 36 mile hike.

If you need a shuttle from 19E, Terry @ Mountain Harbour B&B can shuttle you at reasonable rates (google for phone #).

Beauty Spot... that's between Roan and Indian Grave Gap, right?

Summit
09-19-2009, 20:06
Beauty Spot... that's between Roan and Indian Grave Gap, right?Beauty Spot is less than 2 miles north of Indian Grave Gap.

Cabin Fever
09-19-2009, 21:51
Water can be an issue from Devil's Fork Gap to Allen Gap because you walk several miles on the ridgeline from Big Butt to Camp Creek Bald.

It's very wet from Carvers Gap to Erwin. Been raining off an on here for several days. Clouds have been hovering over Roan for a week. I know since I can see Roan from my couch out of my living room window (just thought I would throw that in there and rub it in).

Micky
09-19-2009, 22:29
Was just on top of Roan yesterday. Water is good. it was raining on and off the whole time I was up there. Can't wait to go back.

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 10:43
It has been raining for 4 days here in Asheville. A must stop is grassy ridge. There is a sign that directs you up now. Its amazing up on top. The trail relo's going into Stan Murray are nice. Mountain Harbour is awesome, stop there. Also, Rainbow Flats is a great place to camp with a nice field. Also, the campsite between the humps is awesome!!!

Not Sunshine
09-21-2009, 10:54
i just went out for a section hike from sams to tanyard (north of hot springs) - the spring at jerry cabin is dry but there's water before and after if you go a couple miles.

enjoy!

Summit
09-21-2009, 12:35
Also, the campsite between the humps is awesome!!!I was thinking next time I do that section of avoiding the always overcrowded "Barn" (Overmountain Shelter) and staying there. It looking real nice a couple of months ago when I passed thru. And, one could skedaddle (southern for walk :D ) up to the top of Hump for a sunset! Thanks for the tip! :)

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 15:50
I was thinking next time I do that section of avoiding the always overcrowded "Barn" (Overmountain Shelter) and staying there. It looking real nice a couple of months ago when I passed thru. And, one could skedaddle (southern for walk :D ) up to the top of Hump for a sunset! Thanks for the tip! :)

Yea Im done with the barn. Its fun if you havent been there but i like the solitude and try to spot good campsites for 2 tents max. Really nice spot between the humps, if you walk out of the woods about 300 yards, you get the view out over the mtns