PDA

View Full Version : Dude, where's my daylight?

Jonnycat
09-20-2009, 10:52
Anyone else noticing how fast the light has changed in just the last few weeks? When the sun finally does come up, it lingers a lot longer around the horizon, too.

I know the change is speedier around the equinoxes, but man, it's like you turn your head for a minute and it's gone.

Kerosene
09-20-2009, 12:06
Most definitely. Since I screwed up my knee, I've been taking bike rides after dinner. Just a few weeks ago I could go until 8:15 (we're near the western edge of the Eastern time zone), and now I have to be back home by 7:30.

I've got a backpacking trip planned for the last week of October, and the shorter days really limit your mileage if you insist on hiking in daylight.

TOW
09-20-2009, 12:17
I was watching the Weather Channel this morning and they were saying that there is some things going on with the weather that has never been recorded before. Pretty weird stuff.....

Jonnycat
09-20-2009, 12:42
Most definitely. Since I screwed up my knee, I've been taking bike rides after dinner. Just a few weeks ago I could go until 8:15 (we're near the western edge of the Eastern time zone), and now I have to be back home by 7:30.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! It's like a couple of weeks makes so much of a difference this time of the year.

Slo-go'en
09-20-2009, 16:15
And if you happen to be on the East side of a ridge or mountain, it gets dark even earlier!

Different Socks
09-20-2009, 16:47
Went hiking in Glacier, Labor Day weekend. Finished my Saturday hike around 1pm. The day was bright, the sun felt strong.
Two days later, I was down in "the Bob" south of Glacier. Got onto the trail to Hdqtrs Pass and noticed a change right off. The sun was not as bright, not as strong. Shadows were longer, the time of day seemed later than it was. It was almost as if the change of season occurred overnight. from that moment on, my mind was set to an "autumn" setting. No more summer, everything was just too different from 48 hours before.

modiyooch
09-20-2009, 16:56
This is why summer is my favorite time of year; and winter is my least favorite (not to mention the cold). I get to play so much longer in the summer.

Grumpy5280
09-20-2009, 16:59
I was watching the Weather Channel this morning and they were saying that there is some things going on with the weather that has never been recorded before. Pretty weird stuff.....

They are known man-made-warming alarmists. Unless you are duped by that stuff and like wallowing in guilt at living on the earth, pay them no mind and get your weather from here http://www.accuweather.com/ or here http://www.wunderground.com/ . Better, quicker, and without the rope-a-dope hysteria.

BTW: Weather has nothing to do with the change of seasons. That is all based on the orbit of the earth, and the tilt of its axis.

Seeker
09-21-2009, 08:00
Anyone else noticing how fast the light has changed in just the last few weeks? When the sun finally does come up, it lingers a lot longer around the horizon, too.

I know the change is speedier around the equinoxes, but man, it's like you turn your head for a minute and it's gone.

has to do with latitude as well... here in LA, it's a very gradual change (which i really like!) and we have less of an extreme at the solstices... when i lived in northern NY, there were 13 hours or so of darkness in winter... down here it's only about 11... nice!

warraghiyagey
09-21-2009, 08:03
It happens every year at this time. . . . this pattern should NOT be a surprise to ummm. . . anybody really . . . .

Darwin again
09-21-2009, 08:51
This change in the length of day is called: Seasonal change.
There are four seasons: 1) Summer 2) Autumn 3) Winter 4) Spring
The seasons are marked by changes in the WEATHER.
Summer is warmer than winter.
Some places, the winter is known as the rainy season and the summer as the dry season. Weather varies by season.

It happens every year.
Nothing to be alarmed about.

Here's a link for anyone who's still confused (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season

shame how far this place has sunk...

Jonnycat
09-21-2009, 09:14

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It happens every year at this time. . . . this pattern should NOT be a surprise to ummm. . . anybody really . . . .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This change in the length of day is called: Seasonal change.
There are four seasons: 1) Summer 2) Autumn 3) Winter 4) Spring
The seasons are marked by changes in the WEATHER.
Summer is warmer than winter.
Some places, the winter is known as the rainy season and the summer as the dry season. Weather varies by season.

It happens every year.
Nothing to be alarmed about.

Here's a link for anyone who's still confused (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season

shame how far this place has sunk...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jonnycat
09-21-2009, 09:19
Went hiking in Glacier, Labor Day weekend. Finished my Saturday hike around 1pm. The day was bright, the sun felt strong.
Two days later, I was down in "the Bob" south of Glacier. Got onto the trail to Hdqtrs Pass and noticed a change right off. The sun was not as bright, not as strong. Shadows were longer, the time of day seemed later than it was. It was almost as if the change of season occurred overnight. from that moment on, my mind was set to an "autumn" setting. No more summer, everything was just too different from 48 hours before.

It's amazing how fast it can hit you; kind of like a switch getting flipped. Probably what goes on in the minds of critters as well.

On a short trip I took last week, I had to wear sunglasses for most of the day when I was out on exposed areas. The low angle of the sun was glancing off of *everything* and driving me nuts!

Pedaling Fool
09-21-2009, 09:19
...shame how far this place has sunk...
Yet, you still hang around:rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
09-21-2009, 09:24
It's amazing how fast it can hit you; kind of like a switch getting flipped. Probably what goes on in the minds of critters as well.

On a short trip I took last week, I had to wear sunglasses for most of the day when I was out on exposed areas. The low angle of the sun was glancing off of *everything* and driving me nuts!
It does seem to happen all at once. I now have to wear my cycling cap to block the low sun; one day it was summer with a high sun, the next day the sun was low and in my eyes.

Spogatz
09-21-2009, 11:02
I am more of a winter person so I am glad to see the changes taking place. I plan on having a good winter hiking season this year.

LIhikers
09-21-2009, 14:32
It's time to put fresh batteries in our headlamps folks!
Happy hiking, it is a 4 season activity after all :)

sheepdog
09-21-2009, 15:07
Mostly happens when you stay up late and get up at the crack of noon.

sheepdog
09-21-2009, 15:08
there goes the neighborhood ;)

Darwin again
09-21-2009, 17:09

Just to check in idiocratization process.
You're still here.
And still on my ignore list.

BRAWNDO: It's got what a body needs!