PDA

View Full Version : What size pack for thru-hike?

Phoenix7
08-01-2004, 23:57
Hello All,

I'm planning on carrying alchohol stove, polyfill bag that compresses fairly small, small tarptent, enough clothes for a rather cold day, but very little duplicate clothing, small cookset, bear cannister, and as little miscellaneous items as I need.
I'm thinking about getting the Osprey Aether 75 (4500 cu. in.). I'd think with the bear cannister I'd need a pack with a frame. Is the pack big enough? too small? too big? Are Osprey packs too hot in the Summer as they hug your' back?

Thx,

Phoenix

Mr. Clean
08-02-2004, 07:30
The Osprey Aether is said to be a good pack. Also, check out trailjournals.com and look at peoples gear lists for other packs that have been used. I suggest that you try on many, many different packs with some weight in them, then when you have it narrowed down, take your gear into the store and see if it will all fit. You can learn a lot about your pack the first time you fill it with your stuff.
I have a Gregory Forrester that I love, but haven't done much long distance hiking, only a night or two at a time. I see your in NH; try Kittery Trading Post (no Osprey, though) and Beans (none there either) for good selections of packs.

The Solemates
08-02-2004, 09:45
A 4500 cubic inch pack is way big enough. I carried a 3900 cubic inch pack on my thru-hike and it was plenty big and I had larger gear than you speak of...white gas stove, 2-man tent, larger sleeping bag, etc. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with a pack closer to the 3000 cubic inch range. On the trail you will learn exactly what you should and should not carry, and your pack will begin to shrink.

About the bear cannister, there is no reason to carry one of these on a thru-hike. They are very heavy and awkward and if you use common sense you will have no problem seeing a bear. We only encountered one on our whole trip...in the dumpster outside of Vernon, NJ. A city bear.

If you do opt for a bear cannister, however, you may need that 4500 to house it.

Footslogger
08-02-2004, 11:10
You'll get as many answers to this question as there are backpacks.

Bottom line is that you need a pack that holds the stuff you intend to carry. That said ...if you do a really thorough job of weeding out the stuff you don't absolutely need you can get down to a pretty small (and light) pack.

I agree in general with the last entry that 4500 cu in is probably more capacity than you need.

Just as a point of reference ...I carried the Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack on my thru last year (at least the second half of it). The Vapor Trail is around 2800 cu in and weighs 2 pounds empty. I was able to load all my gear and clothing plus food for 4 - 5 days and about 2 liters of water. When full it weighed around 25 - 26 pounds.

Lay out your gear, clothing, food and water container. Look over the pile and make some serious decisions about what you REALLY need. Then load it into a pillow case and take it to the local outfitter. Look at the packs that will hold that load without a lot of space left over. Try each one of them on (fully loaded) for about 30 minutes or so ...and then make a decision as to what size and model pack to buy.

Buying a pack right up front based on advice or reputation and then loading your stuff in it is sort of backwards. Just remember that the larger the pack (or the more excess capacity) the easier it is to justify taking stuff you otherwise might leave home. I'm NOT suggesting that you compromise comfort beyond a reasonable level or your safety ...but there are a lot of hikers who carry stuff with them that never gets used.

One area that a lot of hikers tend to cut back on over time is clothing. When you're doing a distance hike it is impossible to carry enough clothing to ALWAYS stay clean ...but there are some hikers who appear to try. The more clothing you carry the more dirty laundry you generate. You're gonna get dirty and you're gonna stink after a day or two on the trail. Wear one/carry one and resign yourself to hitting a town or hostel frequently enough to wash it out.

Anway ...got a little off subject. Just my .02

'Slogger
AT 2003

Phoenix7
08-02-2004, 13:07
Thanks for the replies all. I will definitely have to find as many local outfitters as I can and try as many packs as possible. The Ospreys appeal to me, but its possible that another brand of pack would fit me better. And I'll be sure to bring my gear to the store so I can see how the pack reacts to what I'm carrying.

Thx,

Phoenix

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2004, 14:06
Phoenix---

I'm very big on Osprey, having carried one on my last 7 thrus. GREAT customer service dept. if you ever need them to fix anything.....I've carried an Osprey for over 15,000 miles and needed their repair dep't. exactly once.

You may well be able to get away with a smaller pack; the 75 is more than big enough for most folks; you may be able to get away with the Aether 60 which is smaller and a bit lighter.

For more information, see www.ospreypacks.com

Phoenix7
08-03-2004, 01:54
Thanks Jack. I've been impressed with the Osprey line based on what I've read. I have to wonder though if they are hot as they are designed to hug your' back?

Phoenix

Jaybird
08-03-2004, 05:34
"Yea,...what Jack said!" :D

Hey Jack...i got one of your T-shirts from Outfitter@HF.
Pretty Cool!

SalParadise
08-03-2004, 11:55
The more a pack hugs your back the more comfortable you're going to be overall. The weight is going to be distributed more evenly and you shouldn't have your hip belt or shoulder straps tuging on you. My Osprey might be fractionally hotter than other brands I've worn, but you'll be happier with whatever pack fits you the best. If a pack fits away from your back you'll feel like your shoulder straps are pulling you backwards and your shoulders can get sore from it. Plus hot days on the AT are going to be rough no matter what you're carrying.

sgtjinx
08-03-2004, 13:09
I'm planning my NOBO, and I was going to carry the gear in a Dana Design K2 Longbed. Would that be way to big to carry. Or should I go to a smaller ruck.:-?