PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike to Wesser Bald

Walking School Bus
09-20-2009, 14:57
I'm looking for places we can drive our busload of students for a day hike to wesser Bald? Is that a possible hike for our 8th graders?

bigcranky
09-20-2009, 16:56
There is a road to Tellico Gap. Not sure about a school bus, but I think it will work. It's an easy hike up to Wesser Bald (northbound on the AT), and you could just hike all the way to NOC if the bus driver will go back alone. Get the proper map from NOC and you'll see the road and the trail, and you should be able to get directions from someone there.

daddytwosticks
09-20-2009, 18:55
If you have a good driver who knows how to tackle narrow, gravel roads with tight switchbacks, you should have no problems. You just may have more of an adventure driving there than hiking the trail! Have fun and good luck. :)

bigcranky
09-20-2009, 19:00
At the Southern Ruck a couple of years ago, Ron Haven drove us up there in his bus. Which suggests to me that you might call Ron (his number will be in the guidebooks) for advice.

bigcranky
09-20-2009, 19:02
Sorry, that's probably not enough info. Check the AT guide for Franklin, NC; Ron Haven runs a hotel and shuttle service and is very helpful.

Gray Blazer
09-20-2009, 23:48
Easier for bus...drive to Wesser Creek Trailhead.