PDA

View Full Version : I'm supposed to sleep on this?

rusane
09-20-2009, 20:05
I've decided that it's time to retire the 1/4" thick closed cell foam pad I've had since I was 12. I'm trying to decide between the neoair and the prolite plus (though I'm open to other suggestions). I like not carrying needless ounces - but I like sleeping better. I'm planning on hiking through the winter with what ever pad I do buy - probably the biggest concern. Any thoughts?

Franco
09-20-2009, 20:20
"I'm planning on hiking through the winter with what ever pad I do buy "
Well that excludes the Neo Air unless your winters are at or above freezing...
I have only slept on the Neo down to 39f or so, and that was still nice and warm, but it isn't designed/meant for temps lower than 32f.
Some plan to or have used it with a thin solid foam mat (Evazote and clones) at lower temperatures.
Most Neo users understand the limitations. They are the same guys that have 2 or more sleeping bags and prefer matching the bags specs to the expected temps rather than always having a -20f rated one . Mats should be seen in the same way.
If you are after one that covers a bigger range, than the Proplite Plus will be better suited.
As far as comfort I prefer the Neo to my Prolite 4.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Prolite-4--vs-Neo-Air-1.jpg

bigcranky
09-20-2009, 20:28
I bought the Prolite 4 when it first came out -- maybe 5-6 years ago? I've used it in all seasons, in all kinds of weather, and never had a problem. Very comfortable, no leaks, many nights of decent sleep. Much better than my closed cell foam pad.

Haven't tried a Neoair, but why mess with success?

Big Dawg
09-20-2009, 21:05
I bought the Prolite 4 when it first came out -- maybe 5-6 years ago? I've used it in all seasons, in all kinds of weather, and never had a problem. Very comfortable, no leaks, many nights of decent sleep. Much better than my closed cell foam pad.

Haven't tried a Neoair, but why mess with success?

ditto,,, although the comfy 2" neoair will eventually make it's way into my gear list for warmer trips. i'll probably pull the trigger next year w/ REI's 20% off 1 item sale.

Snowleopard
09-20-2009, 22:54
If you're going to hike in winter in CT or further north, you need good insulation under you. Depending on how cold it is the prolite 4 may work. For colder temps, you should use a thicker foam pad (e.g., ridgerest or z-rest or $6 Walmart blue pad). For a cold winter night in CT, or a normal winter night further north, two pads are recommended.

scope
09-20-2009, 23:20
"Air" pads have a larger volume of air in them (imagine that) that will cool overnite. Yes, your body heat does warm the air, but as you sleep you cool down, just as temps are dropping as well. Learned this with my BA Insul Pad. With temps below 35, I now like to sleep with either my 1" Thermarest on top of the BA pad, or a CCF pad on top of the BA pad, depending on how much bulk I can take.

rusane
09-21-2009, 00:46
For a cold winter night in CT, or a normal winter night further north, two pads are recommended.

Not the answer I was hoping for :-? I will be hiking North, I hope to finnish the pesky commonwealth before spring. Is there really no all-in-one option? Dollars and ounces being a concern. Maybe I buy the prolite plus and my ancient closed cell when it gets really cold?

Franco
09-21-2009, 00:52
A point to remember, with those thick air pads , Boyle's law is much more obvious. More air =greater "deflation" when it cools down. I found that if I blow it up a couple of hours before using it , It takes three full puffs to get it back to the same thickness. After that it is pretty much right for the night. More noticeable than the PO or Exped because there is no fluff in it, just some mylar-like partitions.
( this accounts for some of the reports about deflating when new....)
Franco

Summit
09-21-2009, 07:13
If you're looking for comfort AND warmth, I don't think you can do better than one of these:

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Pad

With more insulating comes more weight. I have the Dual Core 0* one and absolutely love it. I don't like being confined in a zipped up mummy bag and with it, most of the time I sleep with my feet in the box and my bag draped over me like a quilt, even down into the twenties.

Snowleopard
09-21-2009, 07:51
If you're looking for cheap, use the blue foam pads from Walmart -- they'll never spring a leak. It it's cold use two of them. Once it gets below freezing you definitely need more than a worn out 1/4" pad; once down towards 0 you'll need more than one pad. If you want to save weight in real cold weather, cut the pad down shorter (or use a short thermarest) and put spare clothes and your pack underneath you.

babbage
09-21-2009, 08:24
Dirt bag it - one blue pad in the summer, two in winter. You can sit on them, swim with them, drag them under branches and over rocks. They never pop. Roll it up and go -- and when folks see that big blue roll tied on your pack they will know its a dirt bagger coming their way.

skinewmexico
09-21-2009, 10:27
I've been really happy with my POE Ether Thermo 6 down into the upper 20s. I think if it was going to get colder, I'd throw a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad on top of it. I can't sleep without an air mattress any more.

Jonnycat
09-21-2009, 10:43
I've been really happy with my POE Ether Thermo 6 down into the upper 20s. I think if it was going to get colder, I'd throw a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad on top of it. I can't sleep without an air mattress any more.

I'm still using my POE Max Thermo (predecessor to the Ether Thermo), and also wouldn't want to sleep without the nice cushion underneath myself (especially my shoulders and hips).

rpenczek
09-21-2009, 11:28
Had a Prolite 4, changed to a BA Insulated Air (15 degree). I still carry a closed cell shorty (torso only) to use as a sit upon and to put under my BA if the ground is rocky.

I camp year round with my Boy Scouts in Central, IN and generally in January and February we are in the teens and single digets overnight.

The Prolite 4 is nowhere near as comfortable as my BA pad and the BA pad is less bulk. I am not sure if it is heavier or lighter than the Prolite, but I would never trade back.

Summit
09-21-2009, 12:45
Blue pads and ThermaRests are adequate until about age 40. After that, BAs are becoming the sleeping cushions of choice. As rpenczek said, once you've been there you'll never go back!

sheepdog
09-21-2009, 14:17
If you use the same pad for winter and summer, in the summer you will be carrying too much weight. I use a 3/4 length self inflating thermarest in the summer. I put that on top of a closed cell foam, full lenth pad in the winter.

rusane
09-21-2009, 20:54
My new Prolite Plus is self-inflating! Thank-you all for your suggestions. I plan on trying the Thermarest by it's lonesome at first. If it proves too cold I'll bring the ancient and beat up closed cell as well. I'll make sure to carry the cheapo on the outside to preserve the 'dirt-bagger' look, and to use my tent fly in camp lest anyone see my secret air-mattress. As for age; its a state of mind, and mine thinks I'm old - my back agrees.

Thanks again.

Blissful
09-21-2009, 21:04
I love my BA insulated air core, though it tends to leak after a while.

Summit
09-21-2009, 22:09
I love my BA insulated air core, though it tends to leak after a while.At the valve or a pin hole somewhere? If not the valve, blow it up real tight and submerge it in the tub. Have something to mark the spot and use the patch kit that comes with it. Pretty easy to fix.

skinewmexico
09-22-2009, 00:14
I'm still using my POE Max Thermo (predecessor to the Ether Thermo), and also wouldn't want to sleep without the nice cushion underneath myself (especially my shoulders and hips).

OK, you caught me. I've been using the original Max Thermo for 4 years. Youngest son gets the Ether Thermo.

highfisher
09-22-2009, 14:00
I used the trusty wally pad forever, but like most have upgraded to thermarest for the bones plus half of old blue just in case.cheap insur...