PDA

View Full Version : this happen to anyone?

johnny quest
08-02-2004, 01:22
this weekend me and the boy, race bannon, were out at dinosaur valley. i slep great in my hh explorer. but i woke up in the morning with one knee sore and achy. seems i slept so sound that i lay all night with my leg straight and hyper extended in the curve of the hammock. i walked it off but i wonder if that happens to anyone.

woodhippie
08-02-2004, 07:29
Hey

Wow those hammocks must be some kinda great sleeping devices. My only experience with them was watching a friend of mine un-hyper extend when a Boar Racoon decided to use it with him in it as a trampolene late one night.

see ya in the woods

Woodhippie

Youngblood
08-02-2004, 07:49
this weekend me and the boy, race bannon, were out at dinosaur valley. i slep great in my hh explorer. but i woke up in the morning with one knee sore and achy. seems i slept so sound that i lay all night with my leg straight and hyper extended in the curve of the hammock. i walked it off but i wonder if that happens to anyone.

Yeah, I sometimes put a stuff sack or something under my leg(s) to keep my knee(s) from hyper extending. Other times when I am laying on a slight diagonal, I sometimes sleep with my legs crossed to relief the hyper extention on one knee or move around on occasions to find a more comfortable position. I don't think everyone has that problem, but if you do you need to get a little creative.

Youngblood

johnny quest
08-02-2004, 13:42
whoa, feller! i certainly dont imply there is something wrong with the hammock! i have to say that i sleep better in that hammock than i do in my own bed. hammocks are the way to go, the wave of the future, the ying of the yang, the hot tamale! i blame my leg if anything. so lets be clear that there will be no negative hammock comments on this thread!!! :jump

JP
08-02-2004, 13:51
Almost happened . I was positioned wrong but woke up and shifted befor I had problems. I agree , now that I am in my sunset years I sleep beter in a hammock, but I still lay on a good bed of pineneedles if I find them.

FatMan
08-04-2004, 20:30
My left knee hyper-extended sometime this weekend up on the Chattooga River/ Foothills/ Bartram trails and I have no idea when it happened. Made for some disturbing pain that didn't go away. In fact I still had some minor pain today when I took my daily walk at work. Now I have to wonder if it happened while I was asleep. I have been using my HH for three trips now and have never slept better. But now I have concerns. If it happens again I will try Youngblood's tip of placing something under my knees. And if that doesn't work I guess it will be back to the hard ground for me.

johnny quest
08-05-2004, 10:35
no, the quality of my sleep in the hennessey more than gives me impetus to find a solution to this small problem. we can defeat this glitch, fellow hammockeers!

steve hiker
08-05-2004, 10:44
What do you mean by your leg hyper-extending? Does the hammock grab your leg and pull it out of socket? I've never slept in a hammock before so I have no idea.

johnny quest
08-05-2004, 10:51
no, the hammock is a nonviolent accessory. it would never do such a thing. and if you have never slept in a hammock let me recommend it. you will be changed. but on to the problem of which i speak, grasshopper:
hyperextending (as i understand it) is when the knee trys to bend the opposite way from which the good lord intended. i have done it before when twisting my ankle or misstepping. what i have had happen in the hammock is that i sleep SO DARN COMFORTABLY that i lay on my back (how i normally sleep anyway) all night without much moving. the legs lay pretty straight and at least in my case, one knee lay a little too straight. i woke up stiff. and not in a good way.

this by no means denigrates the hammock. it may even be a quirk that i have only. that is why i started this thread. to find out.

Youngblood
08-05-2004, 11:10
What do you mean by your leg hyper-extending? Does the hammock grab your leg and pull it out of socket? I've never slept in a hammock before so I have no idea.

Steve, the closest thing I can think of to give you an idea of what it is, is by this example. Say you are slouching on a couch and put your heels on a coffee table. It is pretty comfortable for a while, but then you may notice that you knee is being gently hyper extended. Well, if this is uncomfortable, you usually repostion yourself to relieve the slight discomfort. You may simple take your feet down or move the coffee table closer or whatever. The situation in the hammock is very similiar but when you fall asleep and stay in one position for many hours, you want that postion to be one where you are not getting this gentle hyper extention on your knee(s) if it is a discomfort to you.

Youngblood

johnny quest
08-05-2004, 11:16
yeah, what he said! but dont hate the hammock!

MedicineMan
08-16-2004, 01:23
but not again since switching to the longer Light Racer (you know the one they dont recommend for extended trips)...the extra length I'm thinking lets me go a-sym even more and maybe my imagination but i think its a bit wider allowing more 'indian sitting' with leg position while sleeping....another thing to strongly stress, make SURE that your head position is lower than your legs, i think this has more to do with preventing the hyperextension than anything else......

and yes the modern hammock is revolutionary for backcountry pursuits, whether hiking or paddling, i truly look forward to climbing in at the end of the day

tlbj6142
08-16-2004, 08:55
This happens to me if I slide down in the hammock too far toward the foot end. Might want to pull yourself up toward the head end a bit more.

I also find that if I keep my right knee slight bent and leading against the side of the hammock it is less likely to occur.

MedicineMan
08-16-2004, 22:50
and stress to new users that the hammock needs to slope downhill toward the head....even if just an inch....

in my a-sym I put one of these:

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=2720&sku=320717&mbrid=502987

at $1.59 you cant loose much and it doesnt even weight 1/2ounce

in the Light Racer I've learned to walk away 5-10feet and look to see if it is sloping the way I want...

a clue for new HH users,,,put some color on either the foot or head end so you can tell which is which, especially good if you are using Snakeskins or PYthons and the entrance (foot) side is covered up when you are stringing the hammock up.

also, if you slope the hammock to your head end you will sleep better and drain more lymph out of your legs,,,just dont do anything drastic, a hammock is not the place for inversion:

http://www.inversion-table-direct.com/

but it would sure be nice to figure out a way to invert while on the trail

Youngblood
08-17-2004, 08:45
...also, if you slope the hammock to your head end you will sleep better and drain more lymph out of your legs,,,just dont do anything drastic, a hammock is not the place for inversion:

http://www.inversion-table-direct.com/

but it would sure be nice to figure out a way to invert while on the trail

MM, I think the ultimate ultralight hammock would be to use a rope thown over a limb to hang yourself by your feet. All you would need would be a sleeping bag with a drawstring at the feet and an umbrella. Would really assist your lymphatic system and also stretch out your spine. Wouldn't need as much space either... would allow one to have a really neat trail name. :jump

Youngblood

peter_pan
08-17-2004, 17:49
MM, I put a 3" piece of poly thread thru the very end of the head cord....lighter than tape or nail polish and lasts longer. :jump

MedicineMan
08-17-2004, 22:16
Well I've been inverting for quite a while now, started back at UGA, watched a housemate do setups that way and tried vainly, but now can rip off 10-13 of them without to much problem.
Inverting is another tool to add to the body plan though not for everyone, my coworker across the desk from where I am now is 6'9" and most inversion tables are too small for him :)

Rain Man
08-18-2004, 11:19
MM, I think the ultimate ultralight hammock would be to use a rope thown over a limb to hang yourself by your feet. All you would need would be a sleeping bag with a drawstring at the feet and an umbrella. Would really assist your lymphatic system and also stretch out your spine. Wouldn't need as much space either... would allow one to have a really neat trail name.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

:jump

It'd be easier to keep an eye out when you hear noises in the night, too!

Rain Man

Youngblood
08-18-2004, 14:35
Well I've been inverting for quite a while now, started back at UGA, watched a housemate do setups that way and tried vainly, but now can rip off 10-13 of them without to much problem.
Inverting is another tool to add to the body plan though not for everyone, my coworker across the desk from where I am now is 6'9" and most inversion tables are too small for him :)

MM, I bought my daughter an inversion table years ago. But I have and prefer the Ez Up Inversion Rack with the Spyder Hang Up Boots. I have the rack attached to the basement door frame. Might be able to rig them up for someone 6'9".

http://www.gravity-boots.com/Catalog/Gravity_Boots_Megastore/HangUps_SL_Spyder_Gravity_Boots

http://www.megafitness.com/gravityboots.html?GCID=C1766x005

neo
12-29-2004, 14:58
i sleep much better in my hh hammock,than i do at home,funny thing about sleeping in my hammock is i wake up in martial art combat positions:sun neo

weary
12-29-2004, 15:40
Steve, the closest thing I can think of to give you an idea of what it is, is by this example. Say you are slouching on a couch and put your heels on a coffee table. It is pretty comfortable for a while, but then you may notice that you knee is being gently hyper extended. Well, if this is uncomfortable, you usually repostion yourself to relieve the slight discomfort. You may simple take your feet down or move the coffee table closer or whatever. The situation in the hammock is very similiar but when you fall asleep and stay in one position for many hours, you want that postion to be one where you are not getting this gentle hyper extention on your knee(s) if it is a discomfort to you. Youngblood
I've never slept in a hammock, but I had the same thing happen after sampling some bourbon once. I blamed it on some kind of impurity in the bourbon.

Weary

LetMeDangle
01-07-2005, 13:49
I have this same issue. I've been doing the padding under the knee thing, but I've been contemplating getting an Asym hammock, possibly an Explorer UltraLite Asym for the added length to stretch out. I'm wondering whether any other 6 foot or taller folks have tried the longer Asyms and whether they prevent knee hyperextension.

Goalkeeper31
01-07-2005, 16:23
My experience is that the longer ASym (in my case the Explorer over the Backpacker) was better for my overall comfort. I'm 6'1 and I found that I could use the Backpacker fine, but found later the Explorer to be better for me.

Look at this other thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4799

Hope that helps...

Mike

The Hammocker
01-30-2005, 19:07
I never have a problem, then again I am duble jointed.:banana