PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Sections?

Enoch02
09-21-2009, 08:01
Good morning all! I'm having trouble finding some information, so I'm going the "no such thing as a stupid question" route.

I'm planning a 2010 NOBO thru attempt, and considering bringing my sweet, none-too-bright Siberian Husky (Conall) with me. He loves to walk with me, even despite the Florida heat, and we've done a lot of training and planning. My hang-up is leashing. He needs to be on one at all times. It's not that I don't trust him; it's just that I don't trust him. Huskies are bred to run, and I don't want to lose him to a sudden burst of energy.

So, my questions:

1. How reasonable is it to keep a dog leashed for the length of the AT?

2. What places will present challenges (impossibilities?) for a leashed dog? I'm thinking about vertical climbs (truly vertical, not steep - rebar rungs, hand-over-hand, etc.). I can haul him up by his harness and rope for 5 feet or so, but more than that would be stressful for him.

3. Are those places encountered frequently, and are they easily gotten around if necessary?

Thanks for any information/ideas/help/suggestions!

Hikes in Rain
09-21-2009, 08:24
You can't take the furry four-legged child with minor speach impediment through the Smokies, so he'll been to be either kenneled or transported around somehow. Perhaps the Shennendoah, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps other places, as well.

As far as difficult stretches for dogs, I recall the scramble up Albert Mountain a little over the North Carolina border as perhaps tough, and I'm sure the eight or so feet of vertical scramble over Big Firescald in the Southern Balds would be an issue, as well. However, both of those sections have bypass trails.

I have no doubt there are others, but I'll let those with more experience of them chime in.

Enoch02
09-21-2009, 08:51
He can't be with me trough the Smokies or in Baxter State Park, but there are kenneling options open to us. I think there's a kennel that offers pick-up and drop-off service for the Smokies, even. I'm not too worried - he'll deserve the rest anyway. It's just the places he can't walk on his own 4 feet that I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for the tips!

karoberts
09-21-2009, 09:09
Henry and I had trouble on Dragon's Tooth in Virginia and at the Superfund sight in Pennsylvania.

max patch
09-21-2009, 09:37
I'd like to hear from a dog how they made it down Mt Moosilauke going nobo.

bulldog49
09-21-2009, 14:02
Dragon's Tooth seems impossible with a dog on leash to me.

The Weasel
09-21-2009, 14:21
Albert Mountain is probably impossible for him, but there is a go-around. If you want to be 'pure' perhaps you can find someone to wait with him while you go up the scramble and then go ahead and circle back.

As for the Smokies and Baxter, you'll have to kennel.

TW

kanga
09-21-2009, 14:24
You can't take the furry four-legged child with minor speach impediment through the Smokies, so he'll been to be either kenneled or transported around somehow. Perhaps the Shennendoah, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps other places, as well.

As far as difficult stretches for dogs, I recall the scramble up Albert Mountain a little over the North Carolina border as perhaps tough, and I'm sure the eight or so feet of vertical scramble over Big Firescald in the Southern Balds would be an issue, as well. However, both of those sections have bypass trails.

I have no doubt there are others, but I'll let those with more experience of them chime in.
albert's been rerouted. no trouble for a dog now. even before it would have been fine. had to give my blue heeler a push a couple of times but that was it.

Mags
09-21-2009, 14:26
Check out this link from the ATC:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805495/k.9C34/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

bigcranky
09-21-2009, 14:35
Agree on Dragon's Tooth, but the hard part is only a very short steep section of rock scrambling. With a long enough leash you should be able to let him climb down, then have a friend hold the leash while you climb down after him.

BTW keeping him leashed is a really good idea.

The Weasel
09-21-2009, 14:43
Enoch:

On the leashing aspect: When I backpack now with my dog, who is also very active, he is happy to be with me, and gets adequate exercise. But that's only for a few days. Even so, it is a pain for me, sometimes, knowing that I have to hold his leash every moment unless we are stopped and I can tie him. And it's rough on him. It also keeps me from going into some places (lodging/hostels, restaurants, groceries) since I don't want to risk tying him to a pole and come out to find him gone. To have to have both of us for 5 months is almost unthinkable. I know others have done it, but for him to go that long without a good run, well...

Good luck.

TW

Snowleopard
09-21-2009, 14:56
Just be sure that your dog's paws can tolerate walking on sharp rock. Dogs have been rescued from the White Mountains when their paws have been shredded by the rock.

Omega Man
12-08-2009, 03:16
Dumb question: Why is it illegal for dogs to enter Baxter and The Smokies? Going NOBO, how many miles can I go before I'm forced to dump my dog?

emerald
12-08-2009, 06:18
Why is it illegal for dogs to enter Baxter?

Percival Baxter's position is explained on BSP's website. Click on Thru-Hiking in Baxter State Park (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html) and scroll down to Can I Bring my Pet?

sofaking
12-08-2009, 08:20
I'd like to hear from a dog how they made it down Mt Moosilauke going nobo.

one of our group last year had her dog with her coming down moosilauke, and it took three of us to relay him down some of the rebar and suicide- stepped areas. it wasnt too difficult and the dog didnt seem to mind.

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2009, 12:18
Agree on Dragon's Tooth, but the hard part is only a very short steep section of rock scrambling. With a long enough leash you should be able to let him climb down, then have a friend hold the leash while you climb down after him.

BTW keeping him leashed is a really good idea.
this is a dangerous little stretch going down hill, going northbound! theres a real bad spot near the bottom,its much safer for the dog to have the leash off and let the dog navigate this on his own so you don't screw him up with the leash. then two minutes later releash him. if you can't trust your dog for two minutes off leash? maybe your dog should stay home!

Spirit Walker
12-08-2009, 13:31
There are a few places in New York that are rock scrambles or ladders and several in NH and southern Maine. Mahoosuc Notch and Kinsman come to mind especially. We have seen people end up carrying their dogs across some of the really steep rock climbs and ladders, but I've also seen dogs that love climbing.

Harley&Me
12-08-2009, 14:08
I hiked with my dog (~75 pound lab/coonhound mix) from Hot Springs, NC to Hanover, NH. I eventually had to send him home because his new pack was the wrong size and was rubbing his elbows raw. He had absolutely no trouble with any of the terrain. His biggest issue was getting lodged between rocks because of his newfound width. With Dragons Tooth in particular, he just bounded down while I slowly eased my way along. There were a few places where I had to find a work around (I remember a particular ladder spot somewhere in Vermont?) but he did great the whole way. He was rarely on a leash (only when crossing roads, in towns, or if I was around other people). Most of the time he just trotted ahead of me. Don't be discouraged by the people online who tell you not to bring your dog. Harley went about 1500 miles on the trail with me and I had no issues with people who didn't like dogs. Just make sure you are in control and the dog is well behaved. Good luck and feel free to check out my blog which has some more answers to dog-hiking related questions:
http://harveyat.blogspot.com

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2009, 15:00
I hiked with my dog (~75 pound lab/coonhound mix) from Hot Springs, NC to Hanover, NH. I eventually had to send him home because his new pack was the wrong size and was rubbing his elbows raw. He had absolutely no trouble with any of the terrain. His biggest issue was getting lodged between rocks because of his newfound width. With Dragons Tooth in particular, he just bounded down while I slowly eased my way along. There were a few places where I had to find a work around (I remember a particular ladder spot somewhere in Vermont?) but he did great the whole way. He was rarely on a leash (only when crossing roads, in towns, or if I was around other people). Most of the time he just trotted ahead of me. Don't be discouraged by the people online who tell you not to bring your dog. Harley went about 1500 miles on the trail with me and I had no issues with people who didn't like dogs. Just make sure you are in control and the dog is well behaved. Good luck and feel free to check out my blog which has some more answers to dog-hiking related questions:
http://harveyat.blogspot.com
glad you had a great hike! but most people will not agree about the dog off leash! im sure you'll hear about it here on WB,even if you had no problem on trail! but not every dog handles the trail well,even if you do everything right, it doesn't guarantee success!

mweinstone
12-08-2009, 15:20
what about the fact that your dog will run more miles off a leash with all the running ahead and side to side and back? this is a threat to the dogs enjoyment of the hike and leashes make children you dont see comming feel safer. respect. dogs are the best thing we got on the trail .

mweinstone
12-08-2009, 15:24
and carry skunk off. nothing is more important than not interfearing with wildlife but it happens and nothing is a worse thing.

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2009, 15:29
what about the fact that your dog will run more miles off a leash with all the running ahead and side to side and back? this is a threat to the dogs enjoyment of the hike and leashes make children you dont see comming feel safer. respect. dogs are the best thing we got on the trail .hiking without my dog never crossed my mind!
i love seeing dogs on the trail!

emerald
12-08-2009, 16:32
and carry skunk off. nothing is more important than not interfearing with wildlife but it happens and nothing is a worse thing.

Canned tomato juice is heavier than a leash a dog will help you transport. If the remaining UL enthusiasts won't tell you, the shelter dwellers will, just before they point you in the direction of your tent.

I like the smell of a skunk on a warm summer night -- up to a point. How much do you?

Phreak
12-08-2009, 16:54
what about the fact that your dog will run more miles off a leash with all the running ahead and side to side and back? this is a threat to the dogs enjoyment of the hike and leashes make children you dont see comming feel safer. respect. dogs are the best thing we got on the trail .
A properly trained dog doesn't run ahead, side to side and back.

Fatman Running
12-08-2009, 17:12
Mahoosuc Notch isn't called the toughest mile on the AT for nothing. I've been through there dozens of times and a couple of times with my dog. You will definitely have trouble through here. Not just with the dog/leash issues but also with just trying to get yourself and pack through. Picture a mile of boulders, some house size, jammed into a narrow notch. Over, under, through, around, roots, wet surfaces and year round ice between some of the rocks with a small stream flowing underneath for part of the way. Lots of fun (but not with a dog/leash). At least you wouldn't have to worry about him running off through here! Just getting wedged in between one of the cracks (you and/or him!). Maine is a tough state in many places with all the roots, rocks and New England style switchbacks (straight up/straight down). Slow walking even without a dog on a leash.

shelterbuilder
12-09-2009, 17:27
Good morning all! I'm having trouble finding some information, so I'm going the "no such thing as a stupid question" route.

I'm planning a 2010 NOBO thru attempt, and considering bringing my sweet, none-too-bright Siberian Husky (Conall) with me. He loves to walk with me, even despite the Florida heat, and we've done a lot of training and planning. My hang-up is leashing. He needs to be on one at all times. It's not that I don't trust him; it's just that I don't trust him. Huskies are bred to run, and I don't want to lose him to a sudden burst of energy.

So, my questions:

1. How reasonable is it to keep a dog leashed for the length of the AT?

2. What places will present challenges (impossibilities?) for a leashed dog? I'm thinking about vertical climbs (truly vertical, not steep - rebar rungs, hand-over-hand, etc.). I can haul him up by his harness and rope for 5 feet or so, but more than that would be stressful for him.

3. Are those places encountered frequently, and are they easily gotten around if necessary?

Thanks for any information/ideas/help/suggestions!

I understand COMPLETELY about not letting the dog off leash for even one second - I have huskies ( they're a sled team) and you CANNOT leave a husky off leash. Period. I haven't thru-hiked (yet), and don't know if I could leave my team for that length of time, but I have done some longer section hikes with one or two of the team "in-tow" (or should I say that I was "in-tow"?). Consider using a sled harness and a 6 to 8 foot lead - this will give the dog the chance to jump over some smaller obstacles (downed trees, small boulders, etc.) and come to a stop while YOU climb over them. The harness will fit under a pack and the lead will come off of the harness at a point over the rump.

I only remember one really bad stream crossing in Vt. (after a 2 week rainstorm) when I had to pick up the dog and carry him across - wish I would have had some way to fasten him to the pack!!!

Good luck.

ChinMusic
12-11-2009, 22:16
Albert Mountain is probably impossible for him, but there is a go-around. If you want to be 'pure' perhaps you can find someone to wait with him while you go up the scramble and then go ahead and circle back.

TW
I just took my dog over Albert today. Even with ice on some of the rocks it was a piece of cake for my little, 31-pound Cockapoo.

Albert is a non issue.

speedykiwi
12-20-2009, 20:06
I just finished a week's trip on the AT in GA with my dog (her first backpacking venture), and although I trust her (for the most part), I kept her leashed mainly because I'm unsure of other people, and I know that not all people like dogs. Plus she is a German Shepherd, and people can be funny about them... However, whenever we crossed a creek (wider than one you can jump/step over), she always seemed to find her own 'special' way to cross, which greatly differed from my 'special' way, so I'd drop the leash, mainly so that I wouldn't get pulled off my footing. She was really good about waiting at the other side though, which was helpful. If other people were around, I'd wait for them to pass, so that Gretchen and I had the creek to ourselves. :)

ChinMusic
12-20-2009, 21:12
I kept her leashed mainly because I'm unsure of other people, and I know that not all people like dogs. Plus she is a German Shepherd, and people can be funny about them...
I've had one person shriek when he saw this beast:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Mugsy/n12.jpg

So it is DEF best to keep the dog close untill you ask.