PDA

View Full Version : Camping near Harpers Ferry

Don H
09-21-2009, 08:37
I'm planning a trip and am looking for a place to camp near Harpers Ferry. We'll be starting at Gathland S.P. and about 10 miles is a reasonable distance for us. That puts us in or near H.P. My Thru-Hikers Handbook shows a KOA and the Harpers Ferry Hostel as possibilities. Does anyone know if these places allow youth group camping? Are there any campsites along the trail on the MD side?
Thanks!

Skyline
09-21-2009, 09:17
I'm planning a trip and am looking for a place to camp near Harpers Ferry. We'll be starting at Gathland S.P. and about 10 miles is a reasonable distance for us. That puts us in or near H.P. My Thru-Hikers Handbook shows a KOA and the Harpers Ferry Hostel as possibilities. Does anyone know if these places allow youth group camping? Are there any campsites along the trail on the MD side?
Thanks!

KOA (nationally) will take anyone who wants to pay the price, but each individual franchise may have rules about requiring youth groups to supply adult supervision. They may also have rules about a maximum number of people who can occupy a site (necessitating purchase of multiple sites). The Handbook should have a phone number you can call to check policies. You will probably want to time your arrival in HF so you can still catch the free shuttle bus from "town" up to the Visitor Center. The KOA is in that neighborhood. Otherwise, it's a long uphill hike, mostly on roads.

For the hostel, you should ask them directly too. Despite what some of us may know from previous visits, hostels sometimes change policies year-to-year so getting it directly from the operators will insure up-to-date info.

veteran
09-21-2009, 10:24
There is a campsite w/water 2.7mi west of the bridge at Harpers Ferry
on the C&O Canal. It is the Huckleberry Hill Hiker/Biker Campsite.

http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/photos/mile_063_huckleberry.jpg

emerald
09-21-2009, 14:03
Click on Lauriep (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=878724&postcount=20) for her reply of 8-11-2009.

Downhill Trucker
09-22-2009, 04:01
Ive camped at the Harpers Ferry Hostel's front lawn several times. It's on the MD side of the trail and it CAN be accessed via a blue blazed side trail that crosses the train tracks and ascends steeply up to the hostel lawn. In addition to the blue blazes. there is a big Hosteling International sign seen from the C&O Canal by the railroad tracks.

DaleMRCC
09-22-2009, 23:37
Thanks!

I'm the GM at Harpers Ferry KOA and we love to host youth groups. We have a very group oriented property just 1/2 mile off the trail. Our group rates for advanced reservations is $5 per person and we except tax exempt. We have great facilities and activities if you wish a break from the trail. We are rich in civil war history and can provide demonstration with advance notice.

Please go to www.harpersferrykoa.com (http://www.harpersferrykoa.com) for further info.

Thanks Dale Brechlin GM

Don H
09-23-2009, 15:19
Thanks for all the help! Looks like we'll be staying at the H.P. Hostel Saturday night and going into H.P. first thing Sunday morning. We'll stop at ATC HQ to look around and then head home. Next years AT hike will probably start at the KOA since we need a Friday night campsite we can drive to considering we won't get there until 8 PM.

Rambler
09-23-2009, 17:30
Hiker Hostel is a great place to stay. Even if you camp in the yard you have access to showers, the laundry, the kitchen, and more. One path that will get you across the canal, and RR tracks to the road is only a few feet passed (if you are headed south) the highway bridge that goes over the river and the trail. On the road there is a small convenience store that sells ice cream. Walk up the hill to your right and you will soon come to the hostel.