PDA

View Full Version : OES maccat tarp as a tarp tent?

sylvia_claire
09-21-2009, 12:37
Hello, I have lent my set up to a friend who is going to hike in the catskills this october. this consists of a hammock, tarp, underquilt, overquilt, weather shield, and all stakes, bags, lines... at a total of 6lbs and 5.4 ounces, he would however like to go with a lighter set up so my question for you is does the macCat tarp(deluxe size) make a good tarp tent? would bringing the tarp, a sleeping pad, and one quilt be a good setup? should he take the weather sheild as a floor? We are taking about mid-October in the catskills for a few days.

thank you for your input,

- sylvia

sylvia_claire
09-21-2009, 12:42
he has hiked plenty of times before. his set up was the fairly standard tent, pad, sleeping bag

bigcranky
09-21-2009, 14:32
The Maccat Deluxe will make a fine tarp for solo hiking. He will definitely want a ground sheet -- just a piece of plastic painters drop cloth will be fine. About 3x8 feet is good. Tarp, ground sheet, pad, sleeping bag or quilt should do it (though of course all of this depends on the actual weather and the gear.)

cwayman1
09-22-2009, 00:59
an OES Deluxe should be PLENTY big enough for that... although i don't know why anyone would decide against the hammock ;)

redick1955
09-24-2009, 08:11
I use a Maccat Deluxe over my hammock but when I have to go to ground,it works great

Red Hat
09-24-2009, 11:25
Does he really need the weathershield with the MacCat tarp? That would save a bit... I sure wouldn't give up my hammock to save a pound or so...

winger
09-24-2009, 18:35
IF he is going to leave the hammock at home, as I wouldn't, then no need for the weather shield either.