PDA

View Full Version : Waking up with a sore throat..

ncmtns
08-02-2004, 20:39
What Im finding is I sleep breathing through my mouth resulting in a sore throat in the mornings. Cold dry weather is even worse.. anybody got any solutions besides duct tape? :-?

SGT Rock
08-02-2004, 20:48
A shot of Whiskey in the morning.

Streamweaver
08-02-2004, 21:24
Drop that shot o whusky in a cup of hot tea!! Good fer colds to. Streamweaver

MOWGLI
08-02-2004, 22:01
What Im finding is I sleep breathing through my mouth resulting in a sore throat in the mornings. Cold dry weather is even worse.. anybody got any solutions besides duct tape? :-?

Youngblood taught me to place a bandana over my mouth in cold weather. That helps minimize the moisture loss and the resulting sore throat. It works.

orangebug
08-03-2004, 08:39
Youngblood taught me to place a bandana over my mouth in cold weather. That helps minimize the moisture loss and the resulting sore throat. It works.
Another strategy is to wear a balacava at night to bed. You will stay warmer by reducing heat loss from your head (the most vascular rich areas out side of your chest) and help reduce mouth breathing.

Alligator
08-03-2004, 15:42
Not too hot a tea, or you'll boil the alcohol off! Great suggestions for prevention. I carry N'ice in the winter. Sometimes the throat gets really raw and eating is tough. N'ice helps.

smokymtnsteve
08-03-2004, 16:04
peppermint

A-Train
08-03-2004, 16:08
I had the same problem for awhile. My ex-girlfriend hated it. Your nose might be blocked up. Get checked for allergies

grrickar
08-03-2004, 18:04
Do you sleep on your stomach, side or back mainly? If you sleep mostly on your back and you snore then that will complicate your sore throat. Before I lost some weight I had serious snoring issues. My brother had to wear earplugs when we shared a tent, and he claimed I even snored when on my stomach (although I never stayed up to see if this was the case;) ) Sinus drainage will give you a good case of the sore throat as well, so if you are sniffling throughout the day, chances are your sinuses are draining at night and causing some of this.

Kerosene
08-03-2004, 19:51
The bandanna Mowgli mentions works great!

c.coyle
08-04-2004, 10:23
The bandanna Mowgli mentions works great!

I once fell to sleep with a banana in my mouth. When I woke up, my throat was not sore! :-?

Jaybird
08-04-2004, 10:36
What Im finding is I sleep breathing through my mouth resulting in a sore throat in the mornings.blah,blah,blah,............ :-?

did you swallow a bat in the middle of the nite? :D

Footslogger
08-04-2004, 12:04
Carry hard candy or gummi bears. Pop one in first thing in the morning. Sounds like you need something that will trigger saliva flow and lubricate the lining of the oral cavity and throat.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jeff T
08-05-2004, 12:55
Honey is a natural anti-biotic and it soothes your throat. Try puting some in some herbal tea.

TREE-HUGGER
08-05-2004, 13:53
I once saw a guy useing a light weight dust mask that you use to sand dry wall, wood and that sort of thing. Just has a light weight rubber band to go around your head to hold it on