PDA

View Full Version : Rain on the AT in NE GA

cowpoke
09-21-2009, 17:12
OK...don't pound me to hard...but getting ready to head-out for section hike in GA and just saw weather channel and NE GA is getting flooded...anyone know what conditions are like on the trail...might be a stupid question so sorry...but I'm fairly new to this and still working on my backpacking skills. Thanks and cheers, bill

dreamsoftrails
09-21-2009, 17:14
when are you leaving?

royalusa
09-21-2009, 17:14
What section of GA are you doing? All of GA?

Cool AT Breeze
09-21-2009, 17:18
Not a stupid queston. I would not hike right now, the trail is like a river. Most hikers are off the trail now waiting it out. Those that arn't off, are very wet.

toccoaspinner
09-21-2009, 17:44
I left last monday the 14th and made it to Neels Gap. I came home to wait out the storm to finish the last half of GA. I'm going back on the 27th or 28th. The folks at Mountain Crossings (Neels Gap store) were suggesting not to hike during this mess.

toccoaspinner
09-21-2009, 17:46
Hey Cool Breeze! I met you at the store last Friday! Alpine was hooking me up w/ all kinds of new gear and you were quite helpful too! This is Mr. Clean by the way.

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 17:47
Aint supposed to stop til Sunday

Chaco Taco
09-21-2009, 17:48
Not a stupid queston. I would not hike right now, the trail is like a river. Most hikers are off the trail now waiting it out. Those that arn't off, are very wet.

FLick Bilge Rat in the nads for me:D

Boliche
09-21-2009, 18:11
It is now reported that North GA has a 100 year rain fall going for it. Rain to continue for at least another 2 days.

cowpoke
09-21-2009, 18:20
Was going to walk south from Woody Gap to Springer and then jump up to Unicoi Gap and walk to Dick's Creek Gap...starting this coming Saturday..26th...that's the current plan but my decide to delay a day or two...thanks all for the responses...cheers, bill

energy_turtle
09-21-2009, 18:24
this has me seriously angry...I've been planning to begin doing all of GA starting this Sunday for nearly two months, planning the time off with work, etc. Not going to be happy if I have to cancel.

royalusa
09-21-2009, 18:41
Don't think about canceling your trip (at least yet). Trails can drain quickly.

Mocs123
09-21-2009, 19:03
I just got back from a weekend trip going from Neel Gap to Amicalola Falls State Park. Sure it rained the entire time but it is still backpacking. If you wait for good weather you will never go. I had no problem finding water although I did have a NOBO hiker tell me Woods Hole shelter's spring was dry. I wasn't going to go 1\2 a mile off the trail to the shelter anyway, but good to know. Water was overly plentiful in that section. I carried just one liter at a time instead of the normal two.

mister krabs
09-21-2009, 20:21
My backyard in atlanta is a lake, burnt fork creek is over it's banks and trying to get back into the basement. but the rain is supposed to stop by this weekend.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2009, 20:27
it's just water. rain. life. smart folks don't live near river banks and new orleans

dreamsoftrails
09-21-2009, 20:40
Was going to walk south from Woody Gap to Springer and then jump up to Unicoi Gap and walk to Dick's Creek Gap...starting this coming Saturday..26th...that's the current plan but my decide to delay a day or two...thanks all for the responses...cheers, bill
you're good, you got plenty of time for the rain to go away. you would be in a unique position to evaluate what massive rain fail does to trails and water sources, and the dirt pits that surround all shelters.

Egads
09-21-2009, 20:50
it's just water. rain. life. smart folks don't live near river banks and new orleans

Unfortunately, you & I pay for stupidity by subsidizing the federal flood insurance program...We pay the taxes & the risk takers reap the rewards, thats stupid.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2009, 20:51
Unfortunately, you & I pay for stupidity by subsidizing the federal flood insurance program...We pay the taxes & the risk takers reap the rewards, thats stupid.

i'm goin' on wefare then. i was told earlier in another thread that i should

dmax
09-21-2009, 20:55
I'm headed to Springer on Sat and spending the night. My son is flying in from Chicago and I'm sending him off on his hike. Springer - Erwin, sounds like he better take his swimming trunks! 19 and young. He should have a great time!!!

jorhawle
09-21-2009, 20:56
I'm hiking the AT through the Smokies from Wednesday-Sunday...should I expect similar weather and conditions?

Lone Wolf
09-21-2009, 20:59
I'm hiking the AT through the Smokies from Wednesday-Sunday...should I expect similar weather and conditions?
google the weather. the yums yums on here don't know

energy_turtle
09-21-2009, 21:11

I was thinking more about serious flood damage etc. that might make some areas impossible to pass through. We've had 20" of rain in the past 3-4 days and even schools have closed due to flooded roads. NE GA has gotten everything we are getting in Atlanta.

Plus packing up a wet, muddy campsite every day for a week blows.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2009, 21:14

uhhhhh....after 1 day i'd be lookin' for a motel or goin' home. why walk day after day in rain then moan about it?

dmax
09-21-2009, 21:16
I'm planning on shrimp on the fire for Saturday night. If you make it Energy Turtle you'll be welcome to some!!! You'll be able to spot us...we'll be the wet ones.:D

Egads
09-21-2009, 21:17
I was thinking more about serious flood damage etc. that might make some areas impossible to pass through. We've had 20" of rain in the past 3-4 days and even schools have closed due to flooded roads. NE GA has gotten everything we are getting in Atlanta.

Might be some mudslides and blow downs. Biggest danger now would be river crossings.

I climbed over 40 foot walls of trees & limbs washed down the Jacks River in the Cohuttas after Hurricane Opel a few years ago. The trail was washed out with nowhere to hike except in the river bed. That was one of the toughest hikes I've ever done.

rainmaker
09-21-2009, 23:16

I began my hike from Fontana to Standing Bear last week. On Monday it drizzled, on Tuesday it rained off and on, on Wednesday it poured almost all day and throughout the night. The precipitation forecast for Thursday was 100% and 70% for Friday and Saturday. Having hiked the Smokies before I saw no sense in staying out and being wet and miserable. I came home. I suppose my trailname is still appropriate. BTW, plenty of bears on the move at least from Fontana to Derrick Knob.

MikenSalem
09-21-2009, 23:40
I'm about 20 miles from Clayton GA maybe...
Once the ground gets this soggy if the end of the rain includes a windy day or the thunderstorms come, which we haven't had any this week, the blow downs could be frequent. Most of the water sources will require filtering so keep a clean danna' to catch the crud.

Trailweaver
09-22-2009, 01:22
I just got back from that area (hiked last weekend) and I can tell you the trail is very slick and muddy. It has rained almost constantly since I returned, so it's bound to be worse. The section I hiked was very rocky, and the rocks are dangerous when wet.

On the upside. . . I didn't have to carry as much water as I normally do - there were creeks running everywhere.

Jeff
09-22-2009, 08:09
I just got back from that area (hiked last weekend) and I can tell you the trail is very slick and muddy. It has rained almost constantly since I returned, so it's bound to be worse. The section I hiked was very rocky, and the rocks are dangerous when wet.

On the upside. . . I didn't have to carry as much water as I normally do - there were creeks running everywhere.

You are describing a typical summer hike in Vermont. It's all fun!!!!:sun

warraghiyagey
09-22-2009, 08:14
Except it's frickin cold up there. . . :mad:

Darwin again
09-22-2009, 09:40
FLick Bilge Rat in the nads for me:D

You southerners love you some nad flicking, don't you?

kanga
09-22-2009, 10:03
i'd wait for a good day of wind to pass through. there's been so much rain that the root systems are waterlogged and that makes for a lot of widowmakers. let 'em fall down first.

toccoaspinner
09-22-2009, 10:57
I'll be heading out north again from Neels Gap on Sunday (27th) and finishing at Plumorchard Gap on Friday. Trail name is Mr. Clean. If you meet me, you'll know why.

energy_turtle
09-22-2009, 16:31
I'll be heading out north again from Neels Gap on Sunday (27th) and finishing at Plumorchard Gap on Friday. Trail name is Mr. Clean. If you meet me, you'll know why.

I'm starting southbound on the same day from Dicks Creek Gap down to AFSP.

Bare Bear
09-22-2009, 17:13
I just spoke to a friend in Ellijay which is about 20 miles west of Springer and he says it is drying now but to watch the forecast. Why not call Neels Gap? They could give a 'right now' forecast. Heck even if it rains some, it beats sitting home and you do not want to hike this section in dry times, trust me on that one :)

toccoaspinner
09-22-2009, 18:41
I'm starting southbound on the same day from Dicks Creek Gap down to AFSP.

Hey Turtle, I'm sure we'll pass one another then. I've got a bald head and a beard right now. Not hard to miss.

Tennessee Viking
09-22-2009, 18:47
There is probably so much rain in GA right now...that Blood Mountain summit probably has a trickling spring right now.

mister krabs
09-22-2009, 20:22
Well, it was sunny all day today and things have dried out somewhat. Weatherman says there's a high pressure "wedge" that should keep the rain off till the end of the weekend with a cold front headed our way. That front might cause some more weather as it comes in, but not the tropical type that we've been having for the last two weeks.

energy_turtle
09-22-2009, 20:46
I just spoke to a friend in Ellijay which is about 20 miles west of Springer and he says it is drying now but to watch the forecast. Why not call Neels Gap? They could give a 'right now' forecast. Heck even if it rains some, it beats sitting home and you do not want to hike this section in dry times, trust me on that one :)

I called Mountain Crossings today actually, and they said it's wet but they haven't heard any reports of serious trail damage thus far. Some blowdowns.

Mother Nature
09-22-2009, 20:47

I am very glad that the weather was NOT that way when I was there, Jeff! :sun

But I did come home to GA to find things on my dirt road pretty "interesting" and very wet. The creek was roaring at road level when we arrived home Sunday.

energy_turtle
09-22-2009, 23:18
Hey Turtle, I'm sure we'll pass one another then. I've got a bald head and a beard right now. Not hard to miss.

I've got closely buzzed hair and a black and gray GG Latitude Vapor pack w/lime green stripes down the back.

Gramps
09-23-2009, 00:18
How ironic! A year ago NE and central GA was suffering through the worst drought ever and Metro Atlanta was in serious danger of running out of drinking water. Now it's got too much water:-?

energy_turtle
09-23-2009, 00:44
How ironic! A year ago NE and central GA was suffering through the worst drought ever and Metro Atlanta was in serious danger of running out of drinking water. Now it's got too much water:-?

like raaayaaaaaiiiiiiin, on your...nevermind

toccoaspinner
09-23-2009, 13:32
like raaayaaaaaiiiiiiin, on your...nevermind

Clint Black?

cowpoke
09-23-2009, 16:54
I exchanged emails with Josh at the HikerHostel,,staying there before we head up to Unicoi Gap...he said streams between Springer and Woody Gap were high but passable, especially Stover Creek...but you will get wet!...and I'm sure we will. We'll start south from Woody Gap this coming Saturday morning...should be raining again by then! See ya'll on the trail...cheers

royalusa
09-23-2009, 17:28
Today I walked the AT between Flatrock Gap (AT mile 29.7) and Dan Gap (AT mile 22.4). 99% of the trail was in excellent condition. 1% has some runoff but it's all less than an 1/2 inch deep - so a non-event. There were 4 blowdowns just north of Dockery Lake Trail Junction (AT mile 23.0), but it was easy to climb over all of them and still avoid the poison ivy. Not sure when the 4 blowdowns happened - I can only say they were not there in mid June.

Most of the trail did not even seem to be saturated with moisure. I think it'll handle a few more potential showers this week with no problem.

cowboy nichols
09-23-2009, 17:49
Don't mess with Mother Nature!!!

matUSCG
09-23-2009, 21:56
I'm heading up next weekend hope the weather improves, going for a 1 week hike.

dreamsoftrails
09-23-2009, 22:14
Clint Black?
i think alanis morsette. don't laught at me for knowing that.

cowpoke
09-23-2009, 22:18
:welcome

Welcome aboard Whiteblaze...great site...hope to see you on the trail...looks like rain Sat and Sun but after that looks great...don't think a little water will bother a Coast Guard Warrior....have a great hike!

toccoaspinner
09-24-2009, 00:24

Where are you starting out at, what direction and what day?

toccoaspinner
09-24-2009, 00:24
i think alanis morsette. don't laught at me for knowing that.

Free ride when you're already there?

matUSCG
09-25-2009, 23:44
We are going to try and arrive at the hiker hostile early Friday morning and get a shuttle to springer. Our goal is to make it to Neels Gap take a town day then continue on as far as we can get until the next Friday.

toccoaspinner
09-25-2009, 23:58
We are going to try and arrive at the hiker hostile early Friday morning and get a shuttle to springer. Our goal is to make it to Neels Gap take a town day then continue on as far as we can get until the next Friday.

You won't have a problem finding a shuttle. There's a guy named "Cool Breeze" that's usually there. He can take you to Springer. I'll be at Neels Gap around 9am Friday and heading north from there. It's going to be a wild day at Neels Gap. The Dahlonega 6 Gap Century bike ride is that day. It attracts about 3000 cyclist from around this part of the country and the first climb is to the top Blood Mnt and Neels Gap is the first stop. Cyclist shouldn't make it to Neels Gap until around 9am.