PDA

View Full Version : what to eat

goneSW
08-02-2004, 20:56
What is a quick meal that wont make you sick in the stomach on hot days while hiking steep areas?

SGT Rock
08-02-2004, 21:00
What is a quick meal that wont make you sick in the stomach on hot days while hiking steep areas?

Instant grits.

Pencil Pusher
08-02-2004, 22:15
Three enchiladas with a quart of egg nog to wash it all down.

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2004, 22:27
organic whole wheat pancake, rehydrated pears, all covered with some honey.

solace
08-02-2004, 22:36
You def DON'T want anything heavy on those hot days.... a good bet is lots of small snacks.. (granola bars, gorp, pop tarts, veggies, ect.) so that you aren't logged down with a BIG meal. I found cereal works great as well... when it gets hot.. save the big meal for supper!

Jersey Bob
08-03-2004, 09:51
at least 10 characters

SalParadise
08-03-2004, 12:13
I wonder if it's not so much the type of food you're eating but just the fact that your body doesn't like exercising on a full stomach. Maybe resting :20 or more before and after you eat might help. An upset stomach may also be a result of slight dehydration.

SGT Rock
08-03-2004, 12:25
I don't like rucking on an empty stomach. I like to have a couple of packets of instant grits before moving along with a goodly supply of water and some caffine before starting, then a couple of breakfast bars or something similar to keep me moving.

stupe
08-03-2004, 21:46
Instant grits....possibly the most versatile food in existance. You can accessorize them with virtually any edible food or condiment. You will never feel the same way about potatoes again.

smokymtnsteve
08-03-2004, 22:20
I eat grits and fish...tuna/salmon..very good with a little added garlic/cilantro/redpepper flakes. and it's just not for breakfast..add black bean soup (onthe side)and corn fritter and you got a good dinner.

then after dinner make yourself a cup of hot soymilk flavored with a blackberry herb tea bag and honey,,,it's good for your tummy.. :D

Pencil Pusher
08-03-2004, 22:47
So Steve, can you get dehydrated soy milk or do you have to lug those jugs around? You should be named smokymtnchef.

smokymtnsteve
08-03-2004, 22:58
soy milk powder ..I get it at my local co-op ...buy it in bulk ..it's cheap

great energy food...supplies your body with better nutrition.

I guess I'm just and old man who needs his warm milk at night..

very good on a cold night you can mix in a little canola oil, ( i carry canola for pancakes and olive oil for fritters and added to noddles dishes, or sautee) the calories from the oil, makes for a good rich drink that will help you keep warm on a cold night. I just love to sit around the campfire with a good hot cup of soymilk.

Furlough
08-04-2004, 08:42
Spitting Weasel,
Try power bars and plenty of fluids. Power Bars now come in a variety of flavors. You can get them at places like Target in bulk assortments. For fluids I like to start my day with coffee followed by plenty of water. My teenage son swears by Gatorade., and I will yogi some off of him in the hot afternoon. (Once I catch up to him) Furlough

grrickar
08-04-2004, 17:27
So Steve, can you get dehydrated soy milk or do you have to lug those jugs around? You should be named smokymtnchef.
I agree. This guy eats better on the trail than I do at home! :)

SmokyMtn, you should write a trail cookbook for us. I'd buy one...

goneSW
08-04-2004, 18:29
power bars are all to pasty for me. they sit in my stomach like a churning taffy.

Cheerio
08-10-2004, 15:28
On really hot days; I take a long break at the hottest part of the day - 2+hours long; and cook dinner. find a good shady spot w/ water & kick back. wait 45 min or so after eating before hiking again; then hike the rest of the day until dusk - generally 7-9pm. I eat my Lunch / snack foods in the evening while hiking. This gives me more energy and i'm not trying to digest much at a time while hiking up a hill. I also found it allowed me to hike more miles in hot humid weather. If you don't have to cook in the evening, you can hike longer while its cooler. My lunch / snack stuff is granola bars; home dried fruit; jerky; and sharp cheddar cheese ( yes, it keeps if you wrap it well and get sharp not mild )
The big key is to also have Gatorade or some electolyte fluid replacement. I found that lemonade just didn't cut it. The sick to the stomach feeling could just be you need gatorade.

tlbj6142
08-10-2004, 16:24
Instant grits....possibly the most versatile food in existance.I've looked for these before and was unable to find them. Any brand names I can look for? Are they typically with the instant oatmeal? Or instant potatoes?

jlb2012
08-10-2004, 17:55
Where I shop they are typically in the same general area as the oatmeal.

Jaybird
08-10-2004, 18:10

carbo-loaded energy bars!

try the new Snickers flavored MARATHON bar...quite tasty & full of carbo-liscious energy packed carbs! (South Beach Diet be Damned!) :D

hangman417
08-11-2004, 08:56
Power bars and Met-Rx bars

TakeABreak
08-16-2004, 18:38
I used, energy bars, tropical trail mix (lots of natural sugars), jerky, crackers, breakfast bars. Snack every hour or so, but don't stuff yourself, it is easier for your digestive system to digest smaller amout more frequently to lots at once.

HikeLite
08-16-2004, 20:20
it is easier for your digestive system to digest smaller amout more frequently to lots at once.

I try to eat something every two hours or so. To me, the dealio with eating smaller, more frequent snacks/meals is to get people away from eating too much at one setting that will not get burned, but instead stored as fat. Your body will digest whatever amount you eat. If it's way too much at each feeding, you will store some in the form of fat.

highway
08-17-2004, 08:01
. I just love to sit around the campfire with a good hot cup of soymilk.

Have you ever considered something a little stronger instead?

A few sips of Absolut comes to mind. It warms the tummy considerably faster and makes you fell a heck of a lot better after a long day! :)

Peaks
08-17-2004, 08:05
Real easy.

I made my own mix of various nuts, dried fruits, and M&M's. When ever I needed a snack, I eat a handful.