PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Never Winter 30

XCskiNYC
09-21-2009, 23:33
This bag is on sale now for $140. The sale bag is identified as the "old" model and the specs say it's 1 lb 15 ozs whereas the current specs on the model at Marmot say 2 lbs 3 ozs. Both put the 600-power down fill at 12 ozs.

Marmot's EN rating numbers for Comfort, Lower Limit, and Extreme are 41.4, 32.4, and 4.5, respectively. These numbers are for the new style bag but since it has the same amount of 600-power down fill it seems like insulative capabilities would be similar between new and old models.

http://marmot.com/fall_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/outdoor/never_winter_reg/info/details

The bag would be used for hiking the AT up to end of this Fall in the CT-MA area. Using weather information for Salisbury, CT we get an average low for November of 29 degrees and a record low of 5 degrees. Taking the median between the average and the record gives 17 degrees. I'm not looking for a bag rated that low, more like 30, but the bag should at least allow survival if the temp happens to get down around that low a level.

Is this a good bag for this type of use? I would not mind wearing extra clothing if need be to bring up the insulation.

Is $140 a good price for this bag? Some other bags around this price range I've looked at are the Campmor 20 ($120) and the Kelty Light Year 20 ($130).

Since I'm a warm sleeper the bag should have a full zip so it can be turned into a quilt for use in warmer weather. A second choice would be something like the Kelty with a 3/4-length zipper and a foot zipper.

Besides the price limit, I also have a weight limit in mind: 2 lbs. The bag can be a little over that, but a bag like the Mountain Hardwear Piute which sells for $210 and is rated down to 20 degrees but weighs 2 lbs 10 ozs would be over my max weight limit for a down bag.

Actually, the Campmor is also pushing the weight limit if this review is correct at giving the bag's actual weight (in the long version) as 2 lbs 11 ozs. If the long version is really 2 lbs 11 ozs then the short, with claimed weight of 2 lbs 4 ozs. is probably 2 lbs 9 ozs.

http://www.trailquest.net/gear.html#downbag

So wadda ya think? Good for Fall in the Berkshires?

skinewmexico
09-22-2009, 00:05
Can't help you. I ordered one on SAC a few years ago for $79, but they sent me a Never Summer instead. I do think Marmot makes great bags though.

A little over your weight limit, but what about one of these (probably a lot warmer than your're looking for)? http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html

I have a couple of their original V-bags that were factory seconds (had some underfilled tubes). I opened up the underfilled baffles and added some 800 fill down, and the things are almost too warm to ever use.

Wags
09-22-2009, 17:55
i have the MH piute you mentioned. it is kind of bulky and is 2# 12oz. however i wouldn't hesitate to take it down to 20 degrees. actually true to temp rating and a comfy night's sleep...

i would hesitate to get a 30 degree bag when the highest lows you are expecting are 29. unless you take a liner or extra jacket/pants for extra insulation you're likely to be very cold. also, taking the liner/jacket/pants adds weight that would likely tally up to over the 2#12oz limit you don't want to hit.

good luck finding a 2# bag for $120

XCskiNYC
09-23-2009, 21:04
i have the MH piute you mentioned. it is kind of bulky and is 2# 12oz. however i wouldn't hesitate to take it down to 20 degrees. actually true to temp rating and a comfy night's sleep...

i would hesitate to get a 30 degree bag when the highest lows you are expecting are 29. unless you take a liner or extra jacket/pants for extra insulation you're likely to be very cold. also, taking the liner/jacket/pants adds weight that would likely tally up to over the 2#12oz limit you don't want to hit.

good luck finding a 2# bag for $120

The Piute looks like a real good bag. It's just that my present sleeping bag weight is 1#8 and my preference would be to not go too much over that. But a bag like the Piute with a large amount of 600-power down fill and a relatively lower price tag would definitely be an option.

Come on people. Give me some help here. Some of you must have hiked the NY-CT border to MA-VT border area in Oct/Nov/Dec. What kind of bag did you use? Were you warm?

What about this Marmot Never Winter? It's got 12 ozs of 600-power down fill and the total weight is a bit over 2 pounds. That's not a whole lot of insulation, is it?