PDA

View Full Version : Paging SGT Rock, paging SGT Rock,........

El Toro '94
09-22-2009, 01:03
Could use some info on the BMT. Hear you are HMFIC when it comes to BMT knowledge. Plan on thruhikin BMT SOBO as part of my upcoming semi-yoyo from Greylock>Springer>Big K.
Step off for me is in a month+10, figure on getting to Davenport Gap sometime in early March. Need info on maps and guides if there are any, along with a data book I hear you have put together. Think I have the resupply figured out, but suggestions would be appreciated. You can PM me if you are interested. Or anyone else that is knowledgeable. Thanx everybody.

mister krabs
09-22-2009, 06:39
try him over at hikinghq.net

Tennessee Viking
09-22-2009, 08:27
Could use some info on the BMT. Hear you are HMFIC when it comes to BMT knowledge. Plan on thruhikin BMT SOBO as part of my upcoming semi-yoyo from Greylock>Springer>Big K.
Step off for me is in a month+10, figure on getting to Davenport Gap sometime in early March. Need info on maps and guides if there are any, along with a data book I hear you have put together. Think I have the resupply figured out, but suggestions would be appreciated. You can PM me if you are interested. Or anyone else that is knowledgeable. Thanx everybody.He doesn't get on here a lot lately. But the BMTA has a data book. Hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail by Homan, but it only goes from Springer to the Ocoee. Very good book though.

You might want to look into getting the National Geo Maps.
781 Tellico and Ocoee Rivers Trail Map
784 Fontana & Hiwassee Trail Map
229 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Trail Map

There is a trail veteran that makes some really good maps for the BMT, but the name escapes me.

Bearpaw
09-22-2009, 08:36
There is a trail veteran that makes some really good maps for the BMT, but the name escapes me.

Google Mr. Parkay's Maps. He has full, very detailed 1:24,000 scale maps which his GPS tracks on them. He also offers excellent profiles of the whole trail. Well worth the look.

Hooch
09-22-2009, 08:51
He doesn't get on her a lot lately.......
Well maybe she should try being a little nicer. Just sayin'. :clap:datz

napster
09-22-2009, 08:55
try tipi man he lives near that neck of the woods and prob knows alot about it
n......

Manwich
09-22-2009, 09:21
I had to google "HMFIC," I was pleased i did.

Hooch
09-22-2009, 09:31
I had to google "HMFIC,".......Old term used inthe military, it's been around a while. Has plenty of civilian applications, just not in front of the boss. :eek:

Tennessee Viking
09-22-2009, 10:28
Well maybe she should try being a little nicer. Just sayin'. :clap:datzSorry...I watched the Mountain Talk & Languages of NC documentaries this weekend. I think I picked up some Blue-Ridgenglish.

Mags
09-22-2009, 13:39
I did the BMT this past year and wrote a planning/logistic section.

Check it out:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/Benton-MacKaye-Trail-Thru-Hike-Journal.html#resources-and-planning

It is a great trail. Surprisingly remote feeling!

The Weasel
09-22-2009, 15:55
Sgt Rock's current job makes it very difficult for him to respond to internet inquiries here or at HQ.

TW

El Toro '94
10-06-2009, 17:35
Thanx everyone. Sent you an email MAGS. Stepoff in less than a month:banana:banana:banana. Sure am excited.Planning a menu for a year is more work than I thought it would be. Hard to believe I will be back on the trail after 15 years away.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 17:45
n......

I only intimately know the 40-50 mile section between Unicoi Gap and Joe Brown Hiway near Coker Creek and Hiway 129 at the Slickrock Creek trailhead and Calderwood Lake. Any questions in there, I can help.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 17:48
n......

Thanx everyone. Sent you an email MAGS. Stepoff in less than a month:banana:banana:banana. Sure am excited.Planning a menu for a year is more work than I thought it would be. Hard to believe I will be back on the trail after 15 years away.

Maybe you can give me your dates and we can meet up somewhere near:
Sandy Gap
State Line Ridge
Brookshire Creek
Sugar Mountain
Sycamore Creek
Whiggs Meadow
Beech Gap
Cold Spring Gap
Fodderstack Ridge and Crowders
Farr Gap
Stiffknee
Slickrock Creek

These are some remote places on the BMT and you won't be disappointed.

Sleepy the Arab
10-06-2009, 20:04
Mr. Parkay's profile maps (http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/)

take-a-knee
10-06-2009, 21:24
Toro, don't plan to hitchhike up 5/75 into Blue Ridge. No one will pick you up, it isn't like hitchhiking near the AT. You can mail a resupply to the post office at Cherrylog, south of the BMT there. That BMT data book is most useful.

Cuffs
10-06-2009, 22:55
The BMTA just republished the pocket guide to the trail available at most REI in n Georgia for about $6. I use mine on my section hikes and find it very useful. Can also be ordered from the bmta website.

El Toro '94
10-07-2009, 19:45
Tipi, looks like probably sometime in mid-late March. Maybe early April. Will be headed SOBO. Dates are tentative this far out. Just depends on how long it takes me to walk there from Mass.

Tipi Walter
10-07-2009, 19:53
Tipi, looks like probably sometime in mid-late March. Maybe early April. Will be headed SOBO. Dates are tentative this far out. Just depends on how long it takes me to walk there from Mass.

From Slickrock down to Hiway 68 and the John Muir trail at Hiwassee River, the SOBO route might actually be easier than going the same way north. At least in my recollection. Check Parkey's excellent profile map for the particulars. One of the big climbs is up from Sycamore/Tellico River bridge to the top of Whiggs Meadow, but you'll be going the downhill way.:)

I'll keep a campfire burning down on Slickrock Creek for you.

bsa-troop6
11-04-2009, 22:29
Most of the TN/NC section of the BMT has been logged, brushed out and blazed during this past year. Except we are still not allowed to blaze in the wilderness areas, but this might change in the future. There Cherokee National Forest is considering our request to allow at least some blazing in wilderness. A new trail guide is about to be published on the TN/NC section of the BMT with each 5-10 mile section on a two page spread with a map, profile, access points, water sources and campsites (all with GPS locations) and a description of the section of the trail. The guide will be 48 pages long, printed on waterproof paper in color with lots of nice photos and will be about 4x11 inches in size, easy to fit in your pants pocket or pack side pocket behind your water bottle. When it is published it will be available on the www.bmta.org (http://www.bmta.org/) website and at most REIs and other outdoor stores.

Mags
11-04-2009, 22:35
There Cherokee National Forest is considering our request to allow at least some blazing in wilderness.

Don't do it!

Seriously.

Part of the allure for many people is that the BMT is NOT blazed as much as the AT. I loved no blazes in the wilderness. It wasn't that difficult to pull out a map (and a quick compass check) to get to the right place.

To me, the blaze-less nature of the wilderness sections gave the BMT a character is not seen often on Eastern hiking trails.

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 14:52
I like the BMT less blazed and more wild. Less structures, more wilderness.

The maps mentioned are what I would also recommend.

Also, my BMT Thru-Hikers guide should be out in February I think.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 14:59
I like the BMT less blazed and more wild. Less structures, more wilderness.

The maps mentioned are what I would also recommend.

Also, my BMT Thru-Hikers guide should be out in February I think.

Are you back??????:confused::):sun:D:confused:

TW

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 15:01
Mostly. I've still got some projects in the fire.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 15:06
Mostly. I've still got some projects in the fire.

Christmas IS a season of miracles. Now you're one of them. Thanks for making it a good holiday for us now, too. You and the nice lady and the pebbles all have a joyous holiday.

And post here, please, more than annually!!!

TW

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 15:08
Christmas IS a season of miracles. Now you're one of them. Thanks for making it a good holiday for us now, too. You and the nice lady and the pebbles all have a joyous holiday.

And post here, please, more than annually!!!

TW

I plan on it. Especially here. I have been working on my BMT Thru-Hiker Guidebook and hope to interest a few people in getting involved with the BMT hiking and maintenance.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 16:06
Rock -

Don't jive us. I hope this is a good thing that you can post here, and you should know we've all missed you and Kristi. A lot. I don't get a lot of agreement here from people - some things will never change! - but I know that I speak for every member of WhiteBlaze (and both of the members of Hiking HQ!) when I say it is a wonderful thing that you're posting here again.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 16:09
Well my work schedule is still crazy. But I plan to be around more often.

Disney
12-16-2009, 17:40
Hurray! and Merry Christmas.

Connie
12-20-2009, 03:14
WooHoo!!!!