PDA

View Full Version : October shakedown hike for 2010 thru hikers

attroll
09-22-2009, 09:57
I am working on putting together one more shakedown hike in New England in October. This shakedown hike will be for one week, starting on Monday and ending Sunday sometime. This should be a good shakedown hike. It will be towards the end of October and the temps will be a little low at night, giving us the opportunity to test out our cold weather gear for our upcoming 2010 thru hike.

The hike will be on the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail from Manchester Vermont to either the Inn at the Long Trail on route 4 or to Mountain Meadows Lodge. This will be 49.8 or 53.8 miles depending on which point we end at. For those not familiar with this section, the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail run together on this section. This section does not have a lot of elevations gains or losses. We should have no problem doing 10 mile days. We will have to make it from the start to the finish in six days, a total of 53.8 miles.

Here is a link to the data and profile map for this section www.attroll.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=379&size=big&cat=520 (http://www.attroll.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=379&size=big&cat=520).

The dates for this hike will be 19 October to 25 October 2009. We intend to be at our ending destination on the evening of 24 October in order to be on the road to heading back home on the 25th.

We will also have a vehicle and the finish or have a shuttle arranged. This way we will have a way to get everyone back to their cars in Manchester VT.

On this hike everyone will hike alone unless they choose otherwise. We will meet at the designated shelters at the end of the day or where ever the group decides ahead of time.

If you are interested in attending this hike please contact Attroll.

SawnieRobertson
09-23-2009, 08:58
A T Troll, this is an excellent idea. Wish i weren't so way up north.--Kinnickinic

ShelterLeopard
09-23-2009, 12:46
I might actually have to come do this- any excuse to hike AND be in Vermont, well... can't pass that up. We'll see if I can wangle some time off.

attroll
09-24-2009, 07:58
I might actually have to come do this- any excuse to hike AND be in Vermont, well... can't pass that up. We'll see if I can wangle some time off.
That is great. It looks like we have two other confirms from the facebook page also.

ShelterLeopard
09-24-2009, 18:27
I meant to write "maybe" on facebook, but my computor is really messed up, and I think I may have declined on facebook. But, oh well.

attroll
09-27-2009, 19:02
I meant to write "maybe" on facebook, but my computor is really messed up, and I think I may have declined on facebook. But, oh well.
Let me know once you decide whether you can make it or not.

Razor
09-27-2009, 19:48
Would like to join up after aldha in pa .Will check schedule and get back. The trip will be beautiful and a good plan also. Razor

attroll
09-27-2009, 20:04
Would like to join up after aldha in pa .Will check schedule and get back. The trip will be beautiful and a good plan also. Razor
Great. Keep us posted.

ShelterLeopard
09-27-2009, 23:33
AHHHH. I can't make it! I would love to (Vermont + hiking + October= perfect!) but there is absolutely no way I can get off work. Unless of course, I want to lose my job, which means no money for my thru! Sorry Troll, I'd really love to be there.

attroll
09-28-2009, 08:30
AHHHH. I can't make it! I would love to (Vermont + hiking + October= perfect!) but there is absolutely no way I can get off work. Unless of course, I want to lose my job, which means no money for my thru! Sorry Troll, I'd really love to be there.
No problem. I understand 100%. I had to take vacation time for this. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hobbot
09-28-2009, 22:08
I'd love to, but if I told work I was going to take another week off in addition to 6-months, they might kill me :)

VT is beautiful though, especially at this time of year...I did the Long Trail last fall and have been wanting to go back since.

A suggestion though...do part of the northern section instead...up around camel's hump or lincoln mountain...yes, the terrain is less "flat", but the views make it well worth it. And besides you are all going to see the southern section on your thru-hike anyway.

Tuney
10-06-2009, 09:58
I'm trying to arrange a hike from Neel Gap (Mountain Crossings) to Amicalola Falls sometime between Mid October and Mid November. I'd do it solo but since it's a shakedown and I'm almost 68, I'd be more comfortable if I had company.

I have an RV camp at Cleveland GA, less than 30 minutes from each trail head that we can use as a base camp.

I'm a fairly slow hiker working on improving my speed for next year. So, I'm thinking 3 - 4 days. The attached PDF has the proposed trip plan.
I'm retired so I can be flexible on start and end dates.

attroll
10-06-2009, 13:17
I never thought about posting the trip itinerary. Here is the proposed itinerary. We do not have to stick to this itinerary. It is just a proposal. I do have to be on the road heading home sometime Saturday though.

Tuney
10-06-2009, 15:23
I never thought about posting the trip itinerary. Here is the proposed itinerary. We do not have to stick to this itinerary. It is just a proposal. I do have to be on the road heading home sometime Saturday though.

Leave it to a retired computer geek to try and do everything with a computer. My XYL believes I can't live without my computer.

medicdude332
10-09-2009, 08:52
I've got the time off from work for this, however I'm probably going to be starting my new job right around then - it's going to be a close call for me, probably wont know until a day or two beforehand. :(

attroll
10-09-2009, 09:20
I've got the time off from work for this, however I'm probably going to be starting my new job right around then - it's going to be a close call for me, probably wont know until a day or two beforehand. :(
Everyone seems to be bailing out on this. I have one person that is working on it and one that is iffy and you. There are no actual confirmed people coming yet. If everyone bails I may just do something local in Maine.

medicdude332
10-14-2009, 14:18
I'm IN for this hike (assuming its still taking place) - I just need to leave on Thursday, 10/22. Looking forward to it, really. Anybody else?

DGG
10-14-2009, 19:52
This sounds great. I hope that you -- or another experienced hand -- will consider doing it again next year, when I'll be retired. Can't make it now, unfortunately.

Give us a report about how things go, won't you?

Best wishes,
DGG

attroll
10-16-2009, 11:37
I'm IN for this hike (assuming its still taking place) - I just need to leave on Thursday, 10/22. Looking forward to it, really. Anybody else?
I am still in. I will email you and we can work out the details of where to meet and all that good stuff. We will shorten the hike to be out Thursday. I am looking forward to this. This will be a good cold weather shakedown hike.

attroll
10-16-2009, 14:40
Last minute change of plans.

Seeing that Medicdude332 and myself are the only ones going on this shakedown hike, we have decided to move the hike to Maine.

We are working out the details right now. We will post as soon as we decide. As it looks right now we will have a vehicle at the start and finish. We just need to work out where the start and finish will be. It will most likely be in southern Maine starting in the Andover area. We are looking at the finish being possibly in the Rangeley are.

I will post the details once we get them ironed out.

If anyone finds this more feasible for them or would like to come along please let us know.

More to come.