PDA

View Full Version : Camera battery ?

mudhead
09-23-2009, 05:38
So I got up in the air, whipped out the camera, and got "battery exhausted."

Put it inside the inner windshirt to warm and it worked for awhile. NiCad rechargeables.

Will Lithium rechargeables prevent this? Enough to justify the $? I need to come up with a better strategy for carrying the camera so I don't freeze the screen, too.

Gray Blazer
09-23-2009, 09:07
I learned early with these digitals that they will run out of juice right when you are taking an amazing shot. I always bring extra batteries, two sets. My Canon is better on the batteries than my Kodak.

WalkingStick75
09-23-2009, 09:17
I quit using Ni-cads in my camera and only use Lithiums they last a lot longer, my spare is actually used in my Pocket-Mail which uses very little power. When the camera batteries are low I switch them.

Franco
09-23-2009, 18:09
If your camera takes AA you can use Lithium disposable (they do work well below freezing and last about 3x more than NimAh) . There are no Lithium rechargeable, nor Lithium Ion for that matter, in AA.
The alternative is the Sanyo Eneloop, they work down to about -15c (5f)
Don't let the low amperage, 2000mAh, fool you. They keep their voltage for longer than most, therefore you can squeeze all of their power out of them. They also remain charged for much longer. Up to 85% of their power is retained after 1 year. Most rechargeable self discharge in weeks.
Franco
http://www.thebatterywizard.com/prod57.htm (http://www.thebatterywizard.com/prod57.htm)

Rain Man
09-23-2009, 21:58
Lithiums are definitely worth the expense, IMHO, if your camera uses AAs.

Rain:sunMan

mudhead
09-24-2009, 08:23
If your camera takes AA you can use Lithium disposable (they do work well below freezing and last about 3x more than NimAh) . There are no Lithium rechargeable, nor Lithium Ion for that matter, in AA.
The alternative is the Sanyo Eneloop, they work down to about -15c (5f)
Don't let the low amperage, 2000mAh, fool you. They keep their voltage for longer than most, therefore you can squeeze all of their power out of them. They also remain charged for much longer. Up to 85% of their power is retained after 1 year. Most rechargeable self discharge in weeks.
Franco
http://www.thebatterywizard.com/prod57.htm (http://www.thebatterywizard.com/prod57.htm)

OK. For this camera Lithium AA disposables will be the ticket. Would rather not find the screen frozen. Probably pressed my luck on this already.

Thanks for the link. The Eneloop will be the thing to get when I upgrade the camera. Decent pricing on the "packages."

Manwich
09-24-2009, 08:51
Seconded Lithiums being worth it. plus they're like 12 grams lighter.

buz
09-24-2009, 09:29
Third or fourth the lithiums in my Canon camera. They last incredibly long. That being said, I always have a spare set in my little case along with spare card, because when the shot is the killer one you got to have,........................... Murphy shows up.

Manwich
09-24-2009, 09:42
Murphy shows up.

Murphy showing up to nape charlie is always a good photograph.

The Old Fhart
09-24-2009, 10:19
Non-rechargeable lithium batteries have a chemistry that results in a higher initial voltage and have been known to burn out LED headlamps and other pieces of electronic equipment not designed to use them. Check your manual or email the company to see if your specific camera model will work with these batteries before you stick them in the camera. Probably most newer cameras can use the non-rechargeable lithiums and they will work to low temps.

The problem you may still have is the camera itself won't work at low temps. On some of the winter photo Edu-Trips we have at the Mt. Washington Observatory, shooters use the chemical hand warmer packs and wrap their cameras up to keep the cameras working. I had a video camera that the little monitor/viewer would die first then after another 10 minutes the imager would quit and I'd lose the picture, but the sound kept working.

Franco-"There are no Lithium rechargeable, nor Lithium Ion for that matter, in AA."Not so. The AA size lithium-ion batteries I can use in my 3-watt LED lamp are number 14500 and they're getting fairly common. The converter/regulator circuit in the light is designed to operate from 0.8VDC to 4.2VDC. These batteries are 3.7 volts per cell (http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion14500cylindricalrechargeablecell37v750mahaasize 277wh-ullisted.aspx), almost 3 times what a NiCd puts out and would definitely fry anything you'd put them in if it wasn't specifically designed for them.

faarside
09-24-2009, 13:05
Lithium [Energizer] for sure. I have been using them in all of my AA and AAA applications, on and off the Trail. They are lighter, last longer, and are better in a wider range of temps. NiCads are heavy by comparison, and have recharge "memory" issues among other negatives.

mudhead
09-24-2009, 13:54
Keeping the camera warm will be an issue I will address. Inside the jacket storage seems practical. Sort of.

Just for kicks, I would enjoy a link to a 3 watt LED headlamp. I seem to get a bunch of deer in the headlight looks during daylight. Imagine what I could do with a laser like that.

garlic08
09-24-2009, 14:10
"It's much better now that I'm using lithium." Of course, my friend Pickle was referring to his camera batteries, but the other people on the summit didn't know that and started packing up and moving away from him. Remember that line next time you want a shelter to yourself.

mudhead
09-24-2009, 14:13
Way cool. .

Franco
09-24-2009, 18:53
"Not so. The AA size lithium-ion batteries I can use in my 3-watt LED lamp are number 14500 "
Yes I know that. I have a Fenix torch.
We were discussing batt that can be used inside a camera, not that fit inside one. But good warning at the same time just in case someone is tempted...
Back to the one-use Energiser AA lithium. They also have a very long shelf life, about 10 years, so good to keep as back up.

Anyway...
Many of my customers had success in low temps simply by keeping the camera on an inside pocket. Make sure you switch it on and take your pics before it fogs up.
As for the hand warmer... recently I have purchased a Zippo hand warmer, provably made by Hakking in Japan (they call theirs "Peacock").
This runs on lighter fluid ( I use Shellite (white spirit/nafta)).
1/4oz of fuel last over six hours. I have not used it in the real world as yet but seems to me to be about right (not too hot, just enough) for the purpose.
Franco

The Old Fhart
09-24-2009, 21:04
Franco-"There are no Lithium rechargeable, nor Lithium Ion for that matter, in AA."

Franco-"We were discussing batt that can be used inside a camera, not that fit inside one."
So which one of your statements is correct?:-?

As I pointed out, a non-rechargeable lithium AA may also not work in a number of electronic devices either even though they will fit. Berore you use those batteries, make sure that your camera can use them. Their 5-10 year shelf life is no good if your camera is destroyed in milliseconds when you use those batteries.

Franco
09-24-2009, 21:39
Oh dear...
There are no 25c coins .
The above statement is right if you are shopping in Australia, however wrong if you happen to be in the USA.

This thread is about AA batteries that can be used inside a camera , not that FIT but should not be used. Therefore in relation to the OP's request, my comment was correct.
However you are correct that there are AA sized (but not compatible....) Lithium Ion batteries, totally irrelevant to this thread.
Cameras have enough problems coping with voltages between 1.2 (Ni-Cads) and 1.7 (Lithium) let alone surviving 3.6v...

Franco

The Old Fhart
09-24-2009, 22:31
Franco-"This thread is about AA batteries that can be used inside a camera , not that FIT but should not be used. Therefore in relation to the OP's request, my comment was correct."You have totally missed the point. The lithium Energizer which even you admit is a AA will fit in a camera but there are cameras that are not designed to operate on these batteries and will be destroyed by using them. You seem to be ignoring this simple fact which is more relevant than your numismatic interests.;)

Franco
09-24-2009, 23:41
If you want to be pedantic..

Franco-"There are no Lithium rechargeable, nor Lithium Ion for that matter, in AA."

Franco-"We were discussing batt that can be used inside a camera, not that fit inside one." So which one of your statements is correct?:-?

"There are no lithium rechargeable (not in AA...)
The only AA sized batteries in Lithium are the Energisers, one use, 1.7v. So yes you do need to check that your camera can use them

Nor Lithium Ion for that matter in AA (correct in relation to this thread, as in NOT around 1.5 v )
The LIFePo 14500 is a Li-Ion battery ( lithium iron phosphate- LFP)
The Energiser (one use) is a Lithium battery.
Franco
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lithium battery

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#searchInput)
Not to be confused with Lithium-ion battery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery).
Lithium batteries are disposable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable) (primary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_cell)) batteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity)) that have lithium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium) metal or lithium compounds as an anode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anode)

The Old Fhart
09-25-2009, 07:19

Franco-"The only AA sized batteries in Lithium are the Energisers, one use, 1.7v."I fail to see why you continue arguing with yourself when you acknowledge that the 14500 lithium-ion battery is a AA sized battery. :-?

Just admit you made a mistake instead of continually trying to rationalize your conflicting statements. This web site (http://www.precise-english.com/) might be of help.;)

woodsy
09-25-2009, 09:10
I'll fith the lithium energizer batteries(the silver ones, non-rechargable ) for suitable digital cameras .
They are worth the xtra $$ for long life and cold conditions. Don't want to miss those special shots.
Been out in cold down to zero or more and have been able to get pictures .
Some tips:
Be quick, don't leave the camera on any longer than necessary to get the picture,
do your edits and reviews back at home. The LCD on is sucking valuable juice especially in cold conditions.
Like others have said, keeping the camera warm with body heat helps a lot.
Lithium batteries showing a weak signal on the camera still have a good amount of life in them with some down time between shots.
Never leave home without a spare set.

LIhikers
09-26-2009, 17:33

Put it inside the inner windshirt to warm and it worked for awhile. NiCad rechargeables.

Will Lithium rechargeables prevent this? Enough to justify the $? I need to come up with a better strategy for carrying the camera so I don't freeze the screen, too.

I've used my Cannon digital, A630, camera on camping trips where the temperature was 25 BELOW zero fahrenheit without much problem. At night I took it into the sleeping bag to keep it warm and during the day it stayed in a pocket inside my outermost, insulation layer. When I would take it out of the pocket to use it , it stayed warm enough because its' mass held enough heat for it to function properly.

Franco
09-27-2009, 05:10
From The Old Phart to me :This web site might be of help.
(Precise English , ensuring your text is clear,consistent and error free)

Thank you for your concern regarding my poor usage of the English language. I could and should do better.
As is often the case however , when one is overly concerned with someone else's use of the English language, he ends up highlighting his own mistakes.
Nevertheless, in spite of my lack of clear expression, I can understand what you were trying to say in the following sentences, convoluted structure and grammatical errors notwithstanding :

"I had a video camera that the little monitor/viewer would die first then after another 10 minutes the imager would quit and I'd lose the picture, but the sound kept working. "

"The AA size lithium-ion batteries I can use in my 3-watt LED lamp are number 14500 and they're getting fairly common"

"almost 3 times what a NiCd puts out and would definitely fry anything you'd put them in if it wasn't specifically designed for them."

" a non-rechargeable lithium AA may also not work in a number of electronic devices either even though they will fit."
( would you like a comma ...)

"Probably most newer cameras can use the non-rechargeable lithiums and they will work to low temps. "

"more relevant than your numismatic interests "

"the 14500 lithium-ion battery is a AA sized battery."

Franco
BTW, the OP clearly understood the difference between what can be and what should be inserted in his camera.

The Old Fhart
09-27-2009, 09:45
Franco-"BTW, the OP clearly understood the difference between what can be and what should be inserted in his camera."
Once again you either missed the point or are trying to misrepresent what was said. What the OP asked was: "Will Lithium rechargeables prevent this?" I have been answering that question while you are babbling about non-rechargeable lithiums and who knows what. It is also sad that you lack the ability to spell my name correctly, but I'm not surprised.:rolleyes:

Back to the serious posters in this thread, putting a camera inside your jacket could be a recipe for disaster. Your sweat has salts and other impurities in it that can short out the circuit board in your camera and destroy it. Just so Franco won't misconstrue my use of the word 'destroy' to mean explode, I mean that it will no longer operate. A friend of mine lost his Canon digital that way.

If you want to try to keep the camera warm, or just protected from the elements, by putting it inside your jacket, first seal it inside a water and vapor proof bag to prevent sweat damage. If it is really cold outside you probably will still have the camera frost up when you take it out. If you have a small camera pack you can have on your sternum strap to keep the camera warm enough to function but not so warm that it will frost up when you take it out, that will probably work better.

freefall
09-27-2009, 20:09
One thing I do to help battery life:

When I get done with my camera, I store it with some old Ni-cad rechargeables installed instead of the lithiums. They have enough juice to keep the internal clock/ settings current but not enough to take a picture.

I know its not much, but it helps.

mudhead
09-28-2009, 05:57
One thing I do to help battery life:

When I get done with my camera, I store it with some old Ni-cad rechargeables installed instead of the lithiums. They have enough juice to keep the internal clock/ settings current but not enough to take a picture.

I know its not much, but it helps.

Thanks. :)

XCskiNYC
10-01-2009, 00:35

NiMH rechargeables perform better than NiCad. Many of the NiMH chargers will also charge NiCad's so if you get a NiMH charger you can keep charging your NiCads in it.

But if you want to go with rechargeable batts I'd suggest going with NiMH.

The mAh number tells you the total amount of power the battery will put out (i.e., for example, how many minutes or hours it will power a flashlight of a given size). An AA NiMH rated at 2600 mAh will power a device for more minutes than an AA NiMH battery rated at 2200 mAh.

Here's a pretty good charger. It has its own power plug and internal power supply instead of just a wall-wart (or some just plug directly into the wall). It will also charge 9-volt, C, and D-size NiMH rechargeable batteries if you ever get into those. You can buy this charger at K-Mart and probably other big box stores:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CHFC-Family-Battery-Charger/dp/B000P6L99A/ref=pd_sim_hpc_28

Duracell and Energizer NiMH batts are good but generics are usually pretty good also. I use generic NiMH rechargeables for my GPS and camera as well as Energizers. Remember to keep an eye on the mAh rating when shopping for NiMH batteries.

This is an example of some generics that sell at 8 for $16, about half of what the big brand names usually go for. I have not used these but the customer ratings on Amazon are okay:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-capacity-Rechargeable-battery-package/dp/B001B31O6O/ref=pd_sim_e_5