PDA

View Full Version : Six Moon Designs: Starlite or Traveler

brotheral
09-23-2009, 07:51
I know getting the right pack is a personal thing. I'd just like to get some feedback from anyone that's used either of these packs.. or something you feel is comparable in weight, comfort, and function. When I start looking, I always seem drawn to Six Moon Designs. Expect I'll hear from "Fallingwater" :D !?

bigcranky
09-23-2009, 08:40
I have used a Starlite since 2004. It's the best pack that I have tried for lightweight long distance hiking. If you get one, I would urge you to get the optional aluminum stays and use them.

The pack has been quite durable. Last winter, after 4+ years of use, I sent it back to SMD to have some seams separation fixed, which they did for no charge. I expect it will last at least another 4 years.

If you search "starlite" on Whiteblaze you'll find some relevant posts.

bulldog49
09-23-2009, 10:23
I have the Starlight as well and love it. Works really well using my sleeping pad as part of the support and functions equally well as an overnight pack or for carrying a weeks supplies. I especially like all the exterior storage space so I'm not digging into my pack while I'm on the trail.

brooklynkayak
09-23-2009, 10:38
I have the Starlite and don't use the stays anymore. I have a foam sit pad in the inside pocket (against the back) and use my sleeping pad for added rigidity/support.

The mesh is something I could never live without. Store wet items in the mesh pockets helps keep the hiker funk away from the inside and makes it easy to get at things you use regularly.

It is light and because it is light, it would probably be a bad choice for bushwhacking as the material probably wouldn't hold up to much snagging on thorns and such. I usually stick to trails so I prefer the light material, even if I might have to do some light repairs from time to time.

It is a great design. I have no desire to replace this pack.

doodah man
09-23-2009, 18:46
Brotheral,<O:p</O:p
I have both packs. They have the exact same suspension so the comfort is the same. (very good). I used the Starlight with the drybag top in wet conditions and the Traveler when things are expected to be dry. The panel loading Traveler is easier to get to stuff. I don't have any evidence that the Starlight is dryer, but the zippers on the Traveler look like they would be more susceptible to letting water in. doodah-man

Chaco Taco
11-30-2009, 23:59
Do any of you know of any ladies that have carried any of these packs. thinking of investing in one for my lady. I like the outside storage. She hates diggin in her pack for stuff

brooklynkayak
12-06-2009, 14:19
Do any of you know of any ladies that have carried any of these packs. thinking of investing in one for my lady. I like the outside storage. She hates diggin in her pack for stuff

I ended up with the Starlite because my wife didn't like it as much as my old pack.
My old pack fit her perfectly without much adjusting.

I couldn't get her to get adjusted the Starlite to fit her.

I think if she had it adjusted correctly with the sleeping pad support she would have liked it much better, but she doesn't like fiddling with gear and the Starlite has a lot of adjustment options, like the torso size adjustment that I like. She wouldn't mess with. She said that if I like it so much, we should trade so we did.

It is a big pack and has more room than I ever use, but I rarely do any trips where I have to carry more than a few days worth of food.

juma
04-10-2010, 07:42
I have the starlite but like it better with a ULA belt which is a couple of ounces more.