PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick backpacking advice.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 14:09
Hey, ill make it brief cuz' theres not much time left, 2morrow, i leave on a weeks vacation, and i need 2 no some basic tips for backpacking, gear comments need 2 b on b4 10:00 2nite, everything else b4 mon. morning. will have comp, so can check back on posts. I will use alky stove, granola (bars/straight) 4 lunch/brekky supper=ramen hot cocoa 4 brekky and supper. just any helpful pointers will... well... help (duh), 2 pairs of socks w/ boots. Hope to get on the pinhoti trail in Al. TY in advance, im discombobulated, so it needs descrambling.

jmhouse
09-23-2009, 14:17
Hey, I'll make it brief because there isn't much time left. Tomorrow I leave on a week long vacation and I need to know some basic tips for backpacking. Gear comments need to be before 10pm tonight, everything else before Monday morning. Will have a computer then so I can check back on posts. I will use an alcohol stove. Granola bars and loose granola for lunch and breakfast. Supper is ramen. Hot cocoa for breakfast and supper. Just any pointers will be helpful. I'll have 2 pairs of socks with boots. Hope to get on the Pinhoti Trail in AL. Thank you in advance.

Hopefully that helped to descramble.

Now, the info provided is kind of lacking. I guess you have some sort of pot to use with that stove? That food might be good the first couple days but I bet you'll be hungry and tired of it real quick.

JaxHiker
09-23-2009, 14:21
My head hurts after trying to decipher that teenspeak.

Not sure what kind of mileage you're looking at but imho ramen doesn't have much nutritional value. I can't tell. Are you eating ramen for breakfast and supper? For breakfast (ie brekky) I usually do 2 pouches of oatmeal (pour the water right into the pouch). Lunch is tuna and crackers or something similar. Last AT hike I did chicken avocado wraps the first day out. Shoot for high calories meals.

Tips
- change your socks often
- powder your feet when you change your socks
- when you think you can't go on anymore have faith...it'll get better :-)
- make sure you have a windscreen for your alky stove
- carry moleskin in case you get blisters
- two pairs of socks ain't enough for a week
- if you wear convertible pants you can wear the pants for protection but unzip the legs a few inches for air flow
- have fun

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 14:47
Well, i forgot to mention that i havent ever gone backpacking before, the trip will be 3 nights, 3 days or so, and socks are two pairs in boot, 4 pairs extra (3 sets in all). I dont he the money for anything but base gear, duct tape should suffice for moleskin right? windscreen, check, convertibles, check, powder? the translation was good, jmhouse, just use that as what i said.

Namaste
09-23-2009, 14:57
Don't forget "Leave No Trace".

Jester2000
09-23-2009, 15:13
I second the questioning of Ramen, but I've never felt they had enough calories for me, while others seem to get along fine with them.

Don't know if you have these, but I recommend them, and I've forgotten them in the past:
headlamp, knife, TP, journal w/pen, and, of course, cheese.

John B
09-23-2009, 15:17
I am the certified expert on getting blisters and I can say without hesitation that duct tape works just fine.

I can't do teen math ("4 pairs extra, 3 sets in all" ??? hmmm...???), but it seems that you're carrying alotta socks. I'd wear a pair and carry a pair. That should be enough for 3 days.

JaxHiker
09-23-2009, 15:23
Ok, for 3 days I'll agree with John on the socks. Maybe a list of what you have would help us help you.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 15:45
ok, ill try. here goes:

1 Gregory Z55 Pack (too small, need new 65 liter.)

1 Cook set [alcohol stove, small and medium pots, 8 oz. cup, spork, potable aqua tablets, potable aqua plus tablets to remove iodine taste and color, pie tin for priming of stove (alcohol overspill=lit stove), alcohol can stove, windscreen]

1 Food(listed in first and second posts)

1 First Aid Kit (bandages, antiseptic wipes etc, inhaler, toothbrush, penlight.)

1 thermarest

1 Slumberjack 20* mummy bag

1 NF Backpacking Bivy

1 rain suit (pants, coat)

1 Tarp for bivy vestibule making

2 Nalgenes (one holds dry socks, the other water.)

1 camelbak 3 liter hydration bladder/system

1 knife (appalachian trail brand from Lowe's)

1 collapsible (metal) trowel w/ compass

1 bag of mountain money (TP)

1 ziplock trash bag

7 tent stakes (slim)

25 pounds of gear.

Forced upon me:

1 GPS

1 cell phone

other than that, its just clothes. but to clarify, i will wear 1 tall pair of socks and 1 short pair. (size 12 shoes from walmart, after 10, they dont come in half-sizes) The socks fill in the empty space in the boot to acquit blisters. If 2 pairs are worn at once, then 2 pairs are one set. 4 extra pairs are 2 extra sets. 6 pairs and 3 sets in all. I didnt get across the point of im wearing 2 pairs at a time did i?

DirtBagger
09-23-2009, 16:18
Water, shelter, food. Stay away from big black animals, fast moving water, and snakes that rattle. You'll be fine. Have fun.

Six-Six
09-23-2009, 16:18
Quick thoughts - ditch the rain pants, keep the rain jacket. And those WalMart boots scare me. I hope you don't have big-time problems with your feet in them. I would have said get thee to a pro and buy good hiking shoes. But, time and money is short....
Good luck and enjoy the outing. Don't over-think it - just cruise and enjoy.

Six-Six
09-23-2009, 16:20
Oh, and that Z-55 will do just fine. If you get the 65, you will just fill it with stuff you don't need. The 55 has plenty of places that expand and strap on.

Rocket Jones
09-23-2009, 16:23
Lose one of the pots.

Got a map?

Don't forget to let someone know your route and timeline.

Rocket Jones
09-23-2009, 16:24
Fire! You have a lighter, right? Matches?

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 16:24
1 walmart stuff sack water carrier sack (designed by someone 'round here.)

Six-Six
09-23-2009, 16:25
And you dont need the trowel - use your boot heel or hiking pole or a stick. Be sure to turn off the phone and gps to save batteries and turn them on only when you need to.

Hooch
09-23-2009, 16:26
1 Gregory Z55 Pack (too small, need new 65 liter.)

1 Cook set [alcohol stove, small and medium pots, 8 oz. cup, spork, potable aqua tablets, potable aqua plus tablets to remove iodine taste and color, pie tin for priming of stove (alcohol overspill=lit stove), alcohol can stove, windscreen]Leave one pot behind, you only need one. Leave teh cup behind, you can drink from your nalgene. Leave the pie tin behind and prime stove with a couple drops of alcohol around the rim.

1 Food(listed in first and second posts)

1 First Aid Kit (bandages, antiseptic wipes etc, inhaler, toothbrush, penlight.)

1 thermarest

1 Slumberjack 20* mummy bag

1 NF Backpacking Bivy

1 rain suit (pants, coat)
Leave the pants, they're too hot this time of year.

1 Tarp for bivy vestibule making

2 Nalgenes (one holds dry socks, the other water.)
Put dry socks in a ziplock, much lighter. Exchange the other nalgene for a gatorade bottle, much lighter as well.

1 camelbak 3 liter hydration bladder/system

1 knife (appalachian trail brand from Lowe's)

1 collapsible (metal) trowel w/ compass
Leave behind, you can dig a cathole with a stick or the heel of your boot. You won't need the compass since you have a GPS unit.

1 bag of mountain money (TP)

1 ziplock trash bag

7 tent stakes (slim)

25 pounds of gear.

Forced upon me:

1 GPS

1 cell phone

other than that, its just clothes. but to clarify, i will wear 1 tall pair of socks and 1 short pair. (size 12 shoes from walmart, after 10, they dont come in half-sizes) The socks fill in the empty space in the boot to acquit blisters. If 2 pairs are worn at once, then 2 pairs are one set. 4 extra pairs are 2 extra sets. 6 pairs and 3 sets in all. I didnt get across the point of im wearing 2 pairs at a time did i?

Add a headlamp.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 16:26
and:
1 light kit (lighter, matches, glo-stick)

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 16:30
1 small husky 9 led light w/ 3 extra AAAs (that's how many it runs on.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 16:32
small pot 4 hot cocoa, med. 4 ramen.

Rocket Jones
09-23-2009, 16:42
small pot 4 hot cocoa, med. 4 ramen.
Uh, 2 stoves?

bloodmountainman
09-23-2009, 16:55
Add some tuna or smoked salmon to that Ramen. Protien needed for energy.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 17:07
no, ramen, then cocoa. use small mug 4 cocoa, heat extra water w/ cocoa water to clean ramen pot.

cowboy nichols
09-23-2009, 17:11
Are you going alone? If so be sure to leave a plan with someone.Things happen even to experienced hikers. Have a great time.

JokerJersey
09-23-2009, 17:35
I guess what everyone is saying is that if you only have 1 stove, you can only cook 1 thing at a time so having 2 pots and 1 stove is kinda pointless.

So...if you bring one pot, add extra water to your "Ramen" water, then when it boils, (but before you add the ramen) pour it into your cup for your cocoa. Ramen takes 3 minutes to cook in boiling water...your cocoa should be cool enough by then to not burn the roof of your mouth off. One pot, one time boiling water, one pot to wash/dry.

If you bring 2 pots, you get the stove going, put on one pot of water for your Ramen, wait for it to boil, add ramen, cook, remove from heat, put on the second fresh pot of water for your cocoa, wait till THAT is boiling, remove from heat. And now...your cocoa is too hot and your Ramen will be cold by the time you can drink your cocoa. Plus you have to wash 2 pots.

Doing one and then the other will waste fuel, which means you have to carry more, not to mention the added weight of the 2nd pot. 1 pot + smarter planning = less weight and less cleanup.

Earlier this year, my g/f and I started off backpacking with 2 pots. After 5 trips, we realized we were carrying an extra pot for nothing, since we only had...you guessed it...one stove. We dumped the extra pot about 3 months ago and haven't even noticed it.

HYOH though.

dreamsoftrails
09-23-2009, 17:40
bring peanut butter and crackers, a hunk of cheese with crackers, a summer sausage, and any array of snacks and sweets. i always found this to be the 'easiest' food and calorie rich. bring candy bars and some trail mix as well. the hot ramen will be nice, but you will want some more calories to compliment it.

other than that don't forget to enjoy the hike.

johnnybgood
09-23-2009, 17:43
First Aid Kit: 1) Add Benadryl for bee stings....allergic reactions.
2) Aleve, Ibuprofin for tired muscles & joints.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 18:42
CHEEEEEEEEESSSEEEE!!!!???????????? what type? deli people laughed at my mom when she asked.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 18:45
bought tuna instant lunch and easy mac, three meals, granola would get sorta old anyways.

YoungMoose
09-23-2009, 19:08
Your walmart boots are a little iffy. My friend has a type from walmart. they seem decent but i would never wear them. all of your gear is good but the food. You will get tired of that. I would get bagels for breakfast. Thats what i do sometimes. use the granola for the lunch and the ramen isnt good. i would try to make something better.

YoungMoose
09-23-2009, 19:10
sorry didnt see the cheese. Cheddar cheese is good. also Monteray Jack. Do get it from the deli. get it from the supermarket that has it sealed so there is no air. even if its refigerated dont worry about it cheese doesnt go bad for a good amount of time.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 19:30
ramen for supper 3 nights, 1 night easy mac, granola for breakfast every day, 2 lunches granola (bars/ leftover loose from breakfast) sorta an on-the-go lunch, 2 lunches tuna, hopefully some cheese. water. does it taste really good when your thirsty after cocoa? i imagine it would have to.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 19:32
sorry didnt see the cheese. Cheddar cheese is good. also Monteray Jack. Do get it from the deli. get it from the supermarket that has it sealed so there is no air. even if its refigerated dont worry about it cheese doesnt go bad for a good amount of time.
Is that supposed to be doN'T get it from the deli?

JaxHiker
09-23-2009, 19:46
I like hickory smoked tuna and Ritz crackers. Tuna does get old after a while. Lemon dill tuna isn't too bad either.

Another cheap dinner item is Ohidoan (?) instant potatoes. The buttery are pretty good. Haven't tried the garlic mashed. Cheap, too. Only about $1 at Wally World.

YoungMoose
09-23-2009, 19:46
Is that supposed to be doN'T get it from the deli?I bet you can but i get it just from the supermarket. like kraft cheese. you know how they have it wrapped up. thats what i use. I bet you can get by though if its only 3 days.

Blissful
09-23-2009, 20:01
Why take just ramen? You'll be sick of it and no, it has no nutritional value. Go to the store and get some cheesy Lipton mixes and other fun stuff. Why be miserable but bring some good stuff you can look forward to in your food bag. Bring some raisins. Pop tarts. Oatmeal. Use your granola bars for snacks - you'll need it. And you have to birng some Snickers bars - standard issued hiker food.

Bring a small plastic tube of PB. Tortillas. If you like meat, sausage sticks. Pepperoni. You can have a mini pizza without the sauce with some cheese and pepperoni rolled in a tortilla. Get creative.

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 20:07
blissful-see recent posts, updating food where possible and i dont have a job: no job=no money, my parents are "on vacation" too so they cant afford any extra expenditures. as far as theyre concerned, my $27 boots were big ticket items.

Blissful
09-23-2009, 20:09
Yeah but this is food - it isn't a big ticket item what I mentioned and nutrition is important at your age (and hardly a horrible expenditure unlike some things like fancy bags and tents). I'd find it hard to believe your folks wouldnt want you to eat good. (???)

dreamsoftrails
09-23-2009, 20:12
First Aid Kit: 1) Add Benadryl for bee stings....allergic reactions.
2) Aleve, Ibuprofin for tired muscles & joints.
the dude is 14.... not 41!!!! sorry, had to.

Blissful
09-23-2009, 20:15
Also I assume you're backpacking with someone - so the food costs can be shared - ? I shared meals with my 16yr old on our hike, we split Liptons, Pop tarts, etc.

DAKS
09-23-2009, 20:19
if money is an issue for yer' food, check out the dollar stores assuming there is one in yer' neck of the woods. you can get nuts, candy bars, instant taters, tuna and chicken packets, and raisins etc.

regarding ramen as yer' go to meal. i like to add the instant taters and a bit of parmesan in with them. they might not be full of nutrition, but at least you can make 'em interesting. i also like to add peanut butter, a chicken packet and some hot sauce. tastes just like thai peanut noodles. just cook 'em up without adding the spice packet. you should be able to find all of the above in a dollar store.

have a great time and be sure to give us a trip report when you get back! good luck!

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 20:20
lol, my parents are people i presume- so, i suppose im with someone, but as i mentioned before, i dont have funds.

johnnybgood
09-23-2009, 20:39
the dude is 14.... not 41!!!! sorry, had to.
I realized that too after I posted.

OMG , I really need to pay the man so I can edit. :eek:

TNjed
09-23-2009, 21:12
lose the boots man, just wear tennis shoes, its better than blisters

David@whiteblaze
09-23-2009, 21:27
comfyboots=happyfeet.

Jayboflavin04
09-23-2009, 23:06
Finally get to test out that bivy!!! cool have fun!!!
Drop the extra batteries. Your head lamp should run on those batteries for bout 4 days of normal use. I left my BD headlamp on all-night one time and used it the next night as well.

gravy4601
09-24-2009, 00:07
throw in some vitamins and have a good meal the night before you go on my first section hike i did a few days with only ramens and it kinda sucked even after filling up i had no energy i also like candy bars for a snack on the trail
gorp works great also and it's pretty cheap to make

most of all don't over do yourself and try to pump out alot of miles go slow and just enjoy being out in nature and have fun doing it

sbhikes
09-24-2009, 00:13
Get the cheese in individual wrappers, either the string cheese or if you can find cheddar or jack cheese sticks they melt better. The individually wrapped cheese lasts more than a week. Fig newtons travel well. Chocolate melts unless it's M&Ms. Gummy bears are great. Snag some mayonnaise packets next time you go out for fast food. You can add that to your tuna. Drink powders like Propel, ZipFizz or Crystal Light are really refreshing.

mkmangold
09-24-2009, 00:13
Your walmart boots are a little iffy. My friend has a type from walmart. they seem decent but i would never wear them.

Based on comparison studies, I bought a pair of Ozark hiking shoes from Walmart since they were highly rated. Except for needing some ShooGoo recently to keep the insoles intact, they have held up well.

SassyWindsor
09-24-2009, 00:29
Get "The 1 Minute Backpackers Guide (http://www.articlesbase.com/travel-articles/the-1-minute-backpackers-guide-48003.html)"

hikingshoes
09-24-2009, 00:50
Hope Mom & dad know your going hiking?If not let someone know where your going.
blissful-see recent posts, updating food where possible and i dont have a job: no job=no money, my parents are "on vacation" too so they cant afford any extra expenditures. as far as theyre concerned, my $27 boots were big ticket items.

johnnybgood
09-24-2009, 05:54
Hope Mom & dad know your going hiking?If not let someone know where your going.
Exactly . I assume you have someone to drop you off near the trailhead ?

David@whiteblaze
09-24-2009, 10:14
yeah, well... i am on vacation w/ my parents so, ill assume they know im going (them coming with generally means theyre coming... about the tuna, it's premade tuna salad, a wimpy meal with 1, but 2 is a good quick trail lunch (IMHO). Insoles: I have Plantar Faciitis {[Dont ask(sp.?)] it's low arches} so ive got expensive insoles from "the walking Company" and they wont break up 4 a while. I'm in the car ready to go, and am voiding the deadlines (comment on anything now.).

Jester2000
09-24-2009, 11:03
If David is hiking for only three days, he can take any kind of cheese he wants and it won't go bad. Don't get me started on cheese.

sheepdog
09-24-2009, 13:08
another cheap meal, instant potatoes, stove top stuffing and a foil pack of turkey, maybe even a gravy packet. Put it in a ziplock Freezer bag and add hot water.
have a great hike. definately give us a trip report.

Foyt20
09-24-2009, 15:10
Did you get the new nalgene that is foot shaped? Is it BPA free?

;)

Foyt20
09-24-2009, 15:13
And Have fun :D

David@whiteblaze
09-25-2009, 23:15
If David is hiking for only three days, he can take any kind of cheese he wants and it won't go bad. Don't get me started on cheese.
I bought some mild Cheddar cheese yesterday, so no need 4 further discussion on cheeses. i agree w/ jester though, (again:eek:).

Did you get the new nalgene that is foot shaped? Is it BPA free?

;)
Old Nalgene. no costs. still works... foot shaped? does it come in size 12 or larger?:D

And Have fun :D
At waypoint #1, #2=trailhead sun. night.

Tinker
09-25-2009, 23:24
Bring some beef jerkey. You can eat it as is or cut small pieces off, add it to your ramen water while it's heating and it will soften a bit and add some flavor (but more salt!) to your Ramen. At your age sodium intake probably isn't much of a concern. Just drink plenty of water - much more than you normally do.

David@whiteblaze
09-26-2009, 08:47
Sounds good, although, i live in Central Fl. so to not drink a lot of water and go outside is impossible (if u want 2 return that is.)

David@whiteblaze
09-26-2009, 16:23
picked up some co-jack 2day. have nothing 2 do 4 the next 4 or so hours... need replies...

Mongoose2
09-26-2009, 16:36
David, just wondering how will you treat your water? Why two naglens and a bladder? I would lose the naglenes and just use the bladder. Put your spare socks in a ziplock. Good luck and have a great time!!

David@whiteblaze
09-26-2009, 17:01
potable aqua tabs, 1 nalgene can measure water and hold extra while i wait for the rest to be usable. if i get in a tight spot, i can take my socks out and use the bottle for extra water to make it the rest of the way.

Mongoose2
09-26-2009, 17:10
Ok, I agree with others, one pot, wear broken in tennis shoes ( I hope the boots are not new, they will tear your feet up!) lose the trowel, rain pants, GPS and the naglenes.

Mongoose2
09-26-2009, 17:12
By the way David, I always carry a cell phone and a map.....essentials IMHO.....

sbhikes
09-26-2009, 20:20
You are correct. I was simply impressed at how some individually wrapped cheese lasted 2 weeks in hot weather. It was still good.

On the nalgene thing, I think it is wise to have more than one container to hold your water. But since nalgenes are heavy, substitute consumer plastic bottles like gatorade bottles.

David@whiteblaze
09-27-2009, 08:24
cant drop gps, my parents will fret... mowed the lawn and walked about 5 mi. in boots. The Pinhoti Trail isn't neccisarily (sp.?) "isolated", so... if i want to change out bottles... leaving for talladega 2day. ill be there tonight, but shoud be able to check for new posts. thanks for all the reples, keep on postin'

Mongoose2
09-27-2009, 10:00
Let us know how the trip goes.....good luck!

David@whiteblaze
09-27-2009, 21:33
Behind schedule... Stopped in Birmingham and shoud be on-trail tommorow mornig by ten or so. Keep the replies comin and thaks for all your advice so far.

David@whiteblaze
10-02-2009, 20:13
Day 1:
Thurs. 24
Left home, (my dad) drove to somewhere in Georgia and stayed the night in a hotel.

Day 2:
Fri. 25
(my dad) Drove to Branson, Mo. Stayed the night in a hotel again.

Day 3:
Sat. 26
Hiked 2 mi. in Table Rock State Park on paved trail. Sat at boring (but at times hilarious) old sailors' reunion (U.S.S. Neosho) dinner. My dad and I rocked downstairs at pinball. On the credits for 2 games for each of us, we played about 15 games. Stayed in the same hotel again.

Day 4:
Sun. 27
Drove out of Branson and dropped laptop in water draining form cooler, still doesn't work. Stayed in another hotel.

Day 5:
Mon. 28
Arrived in Talladega Nat'l Forest, swam, set up camp and started eating my packed food. (Undercooked) ramen and (lukewarm) hot cocoa (70% alky dont agree w/ my can stove. Camped at Coleman Lake Recreation Area in my bivy, I couldnt get the front and back far enough apart so it sagged.

Day 6:
Tues. 29
Hiked the Pinhoti from Coleman Lake Trailhead to Pink E. Burns trailhead, about 7 mi. (correct me if you know otherwise.) I had about a 40-pound pack with 4 liters of water and 4 or more days of food. Stopped at the shelter about 1 mi. from the road for lunch. 2 summer sausage and cheddar cheese tortilla-wrap-things 2 peices of beef jerky, a piece of co-jack cheese and 2 granola bars. (Just for the record, I ate around 3 'bama time, or 4 our time.) Supper was more undercooked ramen and a bit more warmed up hot chocolate. (I had hot chocolate and loose granola for breakfast every day as well) Slept on thermarest with sleepiing bag, no tent. Turns out i roll...

Day 7:
Wed. 30
Hiked from Burns trailhead to the Dugger Mtn. shelter (about 6.2 mi.). I was conned into believing (by a map) that there would be a lookout tower that i could eat lunch at. There wasn't and i waited 'till about 4 'bama time to eat the same meal (only 1 granola bar that time.) I had this ravenous hunger that was worse than ever before so that as much as i ate, i couldnt eat enough. I doused it with some tuna salad and crackers and HOT chocolate (cooked it in campfire.:D) slept in tent again.

Day 8:
Thurs. 1
Slack-packed around 4 mi. with my dad. For the first time, i started eating my own food and adding things like: sweet tea and cookies(yum!). Good, easy day. got a lunch of more tuna and crackers, and another at camp of beef stew. Packed up, headed out, and got back at 2 this morning.

Well, that about sums it up. Enjoy, HYOH, YMMV, and Happy trails!:):):)

Ladytrekker
10-02-2009, 20:34
Hey, I'll make it brief because there isn't much time left. Tomorrow I leave on a week long vacation and I need to know some basic tips for backpacking. Gear comments need to be before 10pm tonight, everything else before Monday morning. Will have a computer then so I can check back on posts. I will use an alcohol stove. Granola bars and loose granola for lunch and breakfast. Supper is ramen. Hot cocoa for breakfast and supper. Just any pointers will be helpful. I'll have 2 pairs of socks with boots. Hope to get on the Pinhoti Trail in AL. Thank you in advance.

Hopefully that helped to descramble.

Now, the info provided is kind of lacking. I guess you have some sort of pot to use with that stove? That food might be good the first couple days but I bet you'll be hungry and tired of it real quick.

I got the best laugh from this thank you. I was expecting to read an answer and when I saw you deciphered it I cracked up. And I hope he is wearing more than 2 socks with boots. Da_N that was funny.

Pony
10-02-2009, 22:52
Hope you had fun and learned a few things, but you're here posting so I consider it a success. BTW you'll want to use denatured alcohol in your stove, or HEET fuel line anti freeze. Should make your cocoa hot and ramens a little less crunchy. Glad things went well.

Mongoose2
10-03-2009, 07:34
Welcome back David, glad your hike went well!

David@whiteblaze
10-03-2009, 08:20
Where can you get heet at?

Mongoose2
10-03-2009, 08:42
Any auto parts store or Walmart. Also next time you cook Ramen, consider soaking it in water prior to cooking it. I remove my Ramen from the packaging (before I leave)and place in a ziplock. When I get to my campsite, I pour a bit of water in the ziplock and let it soak while setting up. I then have less cooktime, less fuel spent and no undercooked Ramen. You can do the same for other meals.....

Mongoose2
10-03-2009, 08:46
Use Heet in the yellow bottle

David@whiteblaze
10-03-2009, 09:06
Ok, thanks.

Hoop Time
10-03-2009, 09:44
Any auto parts store or Walmart. Also next time you cook Ramen, consider soaking it in water prior to cooking it. I remove my Ramen from the packaging (before I leave)and place in a ziplock. When I get to my campsite, I pour a bit of water in the ziplock and let it soak while setting up. I then have less cooktime, less fuel spent and no undercooked Ramen. You can do the same for other meals.....

Don't count on yellow Heet being available at any auto parts store. Nor at any convenience store, which I had been led to believe.

I made that assumption the other week when I took my alchy stove along when I was car camping for a weekend maintenance project on the Mid State Trail, figuring why lug a Coleman stove just to boil water for coffee and oatmeal. Left home without fuel, thinking no problem, I'll grab some Heet at a convenience store. Ended up going to three convenience stores, a combo small grocery/lawnmower-chainsaw etc. store and a Dollar General, all with no luck finding yellow heet.

Luckily the little hardware store in the last town before heading over the mountain to the camp was still open when I stopped there and I could get some denatured.

But the "search" consumed over an hour of the time I had planned to be on the stream near camp to fish Friday night. And a week (or 20 minutes) later I'd have been even more out of luck since the hardware store was in the midst of a going out of business sale (the 20 minutes is cuz I got there just before they were closing that day).

The good news is, now I have a nice sized container of denatured and can just fill a plastic container (soda bottle works fine) when I head out. Much cheaper than buying Heet each trip and no time wasted running from store to store trying to find one that carries Heet.

Probably the message here is, if it is something that is essential to your hike, have it before you leave. Don't count on picking it up on the way to the trail unless you are certain of a place en route having what you need.

David@whiteblaze
10-03-2009, 10:08
I had 90-something alky but had trouble lighting stove so I picked up some 70 and got a bunch a junk in my stove. From then on, my stove was my pot rest and my drip pan was my stove. If anyone can direct me to a simple soda can stove that doesn't require spillage. To light, post it please. Ty in advance.

Rocket Jones
10-03-2009, 12:51
Google the Hanna Stove. It's worked well for me. It's my backup, because I usually use the Super Cat.

David@whiteblaze
10-04-2009, 08:02
I did, I made it and it looks to be good. I just don't have heet yet.

Pony
10-05-2009, 13:07
If the alcohol spills onto the ground it burns off pretty quick, just don't set your stove on pine needles or anything else that ignites easily. Also, you don't really need to prime an alky stove, they are pretty much ready as soon as you light them.

sheepdog
10-05-2009, 13:53
Good trip report David. Keep experimenting with those stoves. It's the only way to get good with them. I boil a lot of water around the house, in different weather conditions, on different stoves, just because. Good practice.

David@whiteblaze
10-06-2009, 10:54
Woohoo!!! I finally um... Mastered... No, conquered...no, um... Got it!...(ahem) succesfully ignited without an inferno my parents old msr stove. After examining it during daylight hours, I found out how to work it. Now, it's off to find a site for explanation of how the whisperlite works.

Ender3D
10-07-2009, 15:44
Ah, gotta love the first backpacking trip... I remember mine quite well. 60 pounds of gear before water, way too much food and fuel. It is still the best 90 miles in 6 days I've ever done. I think the only thing we did right that trip was our choice in shoes.

As far as the Alcohol stoves go, I've had great success with the yellow bottles HEET. I bought a minibull stove. I'm sure many people on here won't agree with that choice, but I'm very happy with it.

Needless to say, your first trip is always a good learning experience. great to find what works and what doesn't for you.