PDA

View Full Version : Most scenic section in NY?

eric j
09-23-2009, 15:29
Hi, What would you consider the most scenic section of the AT in New York, my son's comming for a visit from VA. Thought We'd do a few nights
Very familiar with Harriman/Bear Mtn, any 10 mile section better?

Jack Tarlin
09-23-2009, 15:32
That's where I'd go.

Also, in all truth, if you're thinking scenic, you might wanna get away from the A.T. altogether. The Adirondacks are spectacular right about now, and there aren't a lot of people out there, either.

A-Train
09-23-2009, 15:49
Jack's right, you really can't beat the Daks this time of yr, if you can get up there. Why this area is virtually empty is an enigma to me, but I'm not complaining!

If you are set on Harriman I'd either do a 8 mile loop on the AT and Suffern Bear Mtn trail starting near the Palisades Pkwy (Anthony Wayne parking area). Climb up the AT to West Mtn which is fabulous on a nice day, and take the side trail to the Shelter at which point you pick up the S-BM trail and eventually go over Bear Mtn.

If you've got maps you can get real creative. The area around Times Square on the Long Path and Lichen Trail is pretty cool too, and you can hop on the AT around the Lemon Squeezer.

Darwin again
09-23-2009, 15:56
The most scenic part of New York so far was when I was camped above I-87 and Rt. 17 and leaned out of my tent and threw up a whole pot full of tortellini and a bear came up and ate it as I lay there.

eric j
09-23-2009, 16:14
The most scenic part of New York so far was when I was camped above I-87 and Rt. 17 and leaned out of my tent and threw up a whole pot full of tortellini and a bear came up and ate it as I lay there.

Guess it was tri-color or foliage Tortellini , surely a pretty site. (yes a pun)

Kerosene
09-23-2009, 17:08
Outside of Harriman, you might check out the 10-mile section from Orange Turnpike to NY-17A, which includes Little Dam Lake, Fitzgerald Falls and Cat Rocks (pretty good for a section in New York State).

Another option is Nuclear Lake and Canopus Lake, both north of the Hudson. You could also climb to the top of Anthony's Nose, the massif that overlooks the east end of the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Manwich
09-23-2009, 17:11
Between Wildcat and Wawayanda... the ridgewalk with greenwood lake in the background is awesome.

Darwin again
09-25-2009, 10:16
What totem said, very true!

Cosmo
09-25-2009, 17:48
Between Wildcat and Wawayanda... the ridgewalk with greenwood lake in the background is awesome.

I second this emotion--but only if the weather is sparkling. Otherwise, I'm with the Harriman crowd, east (Trail North) of I-87.

Cosmo