PDA

View Full Version : Google AT trail map WITH mileages!

postholer.com
09-23-2009, 17:55
Postholer Google maps now have mileages for the AT, PCT, GET and JMT!!! Click the 'Toggle Distance' near the top on the map page, then move your mouse over the blue trail trace and mileages will appear. Try it with the AT:

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3

About the new mileage markers
At higher zoom levels with the map scale greater than 2 miles the markers are spaced a couple miles apart. As you zoom in the markers are spaced about 1/4 mile apart. This provides a great level of mileage detail at any zoom level.

This feature can be demanding on older, slower computers thus the 'Toggle Distances' link for the ability to turn it off or on.

The AT trace and AT mileage is calculated from gpx files at the ATC website. I haven't done any extensive verification of the AT mileage data as of yet.

Enjoy!
-postholer :sun

drastic_quench
09-23-2009, 19:30
Cool. Thanks.

gunn parker
09-24-2009, 01:45
nice work, thanks

postholer.com
09-24-2009, 13:23
I've just added a handy new feature to it.

Click once on the blue line, the click somewhere else on the blue line and you'll get the distance between those 2 points.

Very handy for planning a hike or getting distances between resupplies.

Thanks for the compliments folks!

-postholer

Jeff
09-24-2009, 14:12
Nice map feature.

There were several very good AT journals on your site this year. Hope you continue to grow!!!

postholer.com
09-24-2009, 18:02
There were several very good AT journals on your site this year. Hope you continue to grow!!!

Thanks Jeff!

I'm looking forward to more AT journalists! Given all the features, we hope folks can appreciate just how good their adventure/journal can be presented.

With the absence of banners and advertising we make that extra effort to ensure it's all about the hiker and their experience.

-postholer

Jaybird62
09-24-2009, 18:53
Very nice!!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

sheepdog
09-24-2009, 18:58
sweet, are you going to add more trails in the future??

postholer.com
09-24-2009, 19:31
sweet, are you going to add more trails in the future??

I'll add whatever trails folks want! I could probably sit down and add a bunch of popular ones, but I'll blame it on laziness! :rolleyes:

As far as maps go, if there is a complete trail trace available I'll add that too. Preferably longer multi-day hiking trails, not trips around the local park.

-postholer

mikec
09-24-2009, 19:34
Good job!!!