PDA

View Full Version : Ray-Way Backpack

redick1955
09-23-2009, 22:33
I was wondering if anyone has made one of these and what they're opinions are of it?

Ranc0r
09-24-2009, 00:03
I made one. It's a bag. It's better than my ruck, but I like my Gregory a lot better.

To be honest, my gear weight isn't down low enough that I can comfortably carry a pack without a hip belt. The Ray-Way does not have one, and I believe that it rides a little too high to be able to easily add one, IMO. I think when I can shed another 8-10 lbs. pack weight (and a whole lot more body weight!) I could comfortably move into the Ray-Way. It's about half the weight (empty) of my pack.

It was enjoyable to build a pack myself, and I think I did a pretty fair job of it. The instructions are top-shelf, as you can expect from Ray. The sizing is based on shoulder width, IIRC, rather than torso length. Perhaps if I made a second and cheated some on the patterns, I might make it fit a little better than this one does. I just lucked into the pack I had been looking for - at a killer clearance price, even the color I wanted(!), just last year's model, and haven't gotten back to making another pack since.

I like my RayWay tarp too. I can't tell you how many stuff sacks and collared stow bags I've made, based on the ones in the kits. Excellent kits, great customer service, do what you want with his (or anyone else's) philosophies.

HYOH, build your own gear, don't singe your eyebrows testing your stoves.

Ranc0r

redick1955
09-24-2009, 00:14
Is it worth buying the Dvd he offers on making it or is the printed instructions clear enough?

jesse
09-24-2009, 00:39
I have made two, one for me , and one for my son. I like mine. I'm not a long distance hiker. Frameless/beltless packs are designed for light loads. I did a 50 mile hike last year, carrying 16 lbs. It worked great.
As far as the video, my wife is an experienced sewer, so I was able to ask her questions. The instructions are very good, but I would have had problems if I had not had her to explain things.

chiefduffy
09-24-2009, 02:54
I made two, and they both turned out great. The instructions were adequate, didnt need the video. The pack works great, until I approach 20 lbs, then the shoulder straps start digging in. I cant get my weight down that low for long hikes, so my RayWay packs have become daypacks. Love (and use) the quilts, tho.

- Duffy

redick1955
09-24-2009, 08:06
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll order a kit