PDA

View Full Version : How safe is it?

bandana
09-23-2009, 22:41
Hello! Hiking the Appalachian trail is something I truly want to do. My question is how safe is it really? I am an 18 year old girl... I know the common thing to do is hike and meet up with similar paced hiking buddies. I can only imagine telling my family, Hey going to hike the trail by myself, don't worry eventually ill have hiking partners! What do you think?

ShelterLeopard
09-23-2009, 23:17
Well, I'm 19 (and female) and my family was pretty worried at first (and grandparents still are) but my Uncle thru hiked about 15 years ago, so he basically told them not to worry. It's really safe, in my opinion. Of course, I've only ever hiked in PA and Maine, and only solo for a week at a time, but I felt safe. If anything bad happens, (personal injury wise) chances are, another hiker will come along pretty soon and find you. As for bad people, just make sure when you're hitching a ride that you get a ride with another hiker. If the car can only fit one, wait for the next one. Some people may think it isn't necessary, but hey- single young female..... You never know.
But I think it's pretty safe. Are you starting this year? I'm starting in Feb.

Oh, and I know several other young females who finished this year, and are very much alive. Cascade (17, female) I know got to Pennsylvania, but she was with her boyfriend Pogo. Downhill (19, female) summited Katahdin sometime in August, I think (solo).

As for hiking solo, I told my folks that I'll be starting out with someone else for the first week or two, just to get into the swing of things (because I really think I'll hike solo, unless I meet someone I really like and am compatible with). That seemed to satisfy them! Good luck.

jesse
09-24-2009, 00:44
absolutely do not hitch alone. Your safe on the trail, not so safe around towns and road crossings alone.

bigcranky
09-24-2009, 07:42
A couple of thoughts, speaking as the father of a 19 year old daughter.

1. Hiking the trail is safe -- more so than driving to the trailhead, anyway. All the usual fears -- bears, snakes, depraved hillbillies -- are vastly overblown. The true dangers are more subtle, like hypothermia, and are preventable with knowledge and experience.

2. If you want to do a thru-hike starting in Georgia in March, you'll meet plenty of hikers doing the same thing. In the first couple of weeks you will gain a tremendous amount of experience, meet some fantastic people from all walks of life, and make many close friends. While you may start "alone," you won't be hiking alone, and the other hikers will be looking out for you (and I don't mean that in a "looking out for the helpless girl" way -- hikers look out for each other no matter who they are.)

3. Yes, one can get hurt on the trail. Of course, one can get hurt crossing the street at home, but there the 911 response is a little quicker. However, serious injuries are rare, and remember that you'll have plenty of other hikers around. Still, it's something to be mindful of.

4. Section hiking solo is probably slightly less safe than thru-hiking, since you won't have a posse of other thru-hikers who know you and are looking out for you. Also, if you hike in the off-season, there are fewer hikers on the trail.

My daughter has been hiking and backpacking since she was four years old. If she came to me and said she wanted to thru-hike, I would support her decision. (And it would be much safer than being a college student -- seriously.) But then I know she has some basic hiking and camping skills, and experience with the daily grind that is the reality of the trail. If you don't have hiking or backpacking experience, I would urge you to spend some weekends hiking with a local club, or take a class at your local community college. While there have been many successful thru-hikers who had no prior hiking experience, I think some practice helps a lot in the first couple of weeks on the trail.

Good luck and happy trails.

ShelterLeopard
09-24-2009, 18:28
Nice response Cranky- well put.

jeepcj258
09-24-2009, 22:39
A couple of thoughts, speaking as the father of a 19 year old daughter.

1. Hiking the trail is safe -- more so than driving to the trailhead, anyway. All the usual fears -- bears, snakes, depraved hillbillies -- are vastly overblown. The true dangers are more subtle, like hypothermia, and are preventable with knowledge and experience.

2. If you want to do a thru-hike starting in Georgia in March, you'll meet plenty of hikers doing the same thing. In the first couple of weeks you will gain a tremendous amount of experience, meet some fantastic people from all walks of life, and make many close friends. While you may start "alone," you won't be hiking alone, and the other hikers will be looking out for you (and I don't mean that in a "looking out for the helpless girl" way -- hikers look out for each other no matter who they are.)

3. Yes, one can get hurt on the trail. Of course, one can get hurt crossing the street at home, but there the 911 response is a little quicker. However, serious injuries are rare, and remember that you'll have plenty of other hikers around. Still, it's something to be mindful of.

4. Section hiking solo is probably slightly less safe than thru-hiking, since you won't have a posse of other thru-hikers who know you and are looking out for you. Also, if you hike in the off-season, there are fewer hikers on the trail.

My daughter has been hiking and backpacking since she was four years old. If she came to me and said she wanted to thru-hike, I would support her decision. (And it would be much safer than being a college student -- seriously.) But then I know she has some basic hiking and camping skills, and experience with the daily grind that is the reality of the trail. If you don't have hiking or backpacking experience, I would urge you to spend some weekends hiking with a local club, or take a class at your local community college. While there have been many successful thru-hikers who had no prior hiking experience, I think some practice helps a lot in the first couple of weeks on the trail.

Good luck and happy trails.

Agree with you!

Big Dawg
09-25-2009, 06:56
Hello! Hiking the Appalachian trail is something I truly want to do. My question is how safe is it really? I am an 18 year old girl... I know the common thing to do is hike and meet up with similar paced hiking buddies. I can only imagine telling my family, Hey going to hike the trail by myself, don't worry eventually ill have hiking partners! What do you think?

You're safer on the trail than in the concrete jungle.:D

... and what Big Cranky said.

overall, I hope you make this dream a reality. have fun!!

neighbor dave
09-25-2009, 07:00
there are creeps everywhere in the world. stay on guard, look people in the eyes, and be confident in knowing who you are, and what you stand for, and you'll be fine:sun

The Weasel
09-25-2009, 10:51
Everything Cranky says is correct. There are a few more suggestions:

- If you're hiking alone, i.e. actually not walking with someone else, don't be the first person to stop at a shelter and set up. If someone comes in after you that you don't feel good about, you can keep walking.

- Avoid shelters/campsites close to roads/trailheads unless you are with people you are comfortable with.

- If you tent/hammock by yourself, do so out of sight of the trail.

- Carry a cell phone and let it be visible in circumstances where you are uncomfortable. Even if it doesn't work, others may not know that.

TW

sherrill
09-25-2009, 11:14
I'd like to add, and this goes for anybody, is to be wary of anyone you don't know asking you specific questions about where you're headed, how far you're hiking, where you plan to camp, etc.

Sometimes these can be innocent questions from someone who does not realize it can make you uncomfortable. Usually your gut can help you decide if this is the case. But if someone does make you uneasy, be polite and move on.

KrazyL
09-26-2009, 02:51
The trail is safe, it is when you get off the trail you will really have to worry. your best bet would be to find a hiking partner close to you, hike with them and get to know them before you go on any big hikes. NEVER go in to town alone. I'm close to you in age but with one very key difference. I'm a male. Guys in general don't have to worry about being targeted like girls do. This is not only coming from another hiker, but I've got a background in personal protection and defense.

Stay safe and good hiking.

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2009, 03:47
And if you bump into old folks that are hiking alone "we are not all creeps" so please do not jump into conclusions when we are near passed out covered in sweat and rolling our eyes at the shelter exausted from a long day.:rolleyes:

Nothing personal-but I was sitting there one day and I was wiped out and two women hiked up and as ugly "lookin" mug as I am - they hiked another ten miles to the next town rather than spend a night with me wiped out next to the shelter.

I was too tired to turn on the personality switch.

Lemni Skate
09-26-2009, 06:20
I think the hiker community let's you do your own thing, but also looks out for younger women your way. I'd imagine almost every hiker out there would feel a little protective you and be checking registers to make sure you were getting where you needed to get.

Most solo thru hikers end up hiking with partners they meet on the trail for stretches of time (usually not one person the whole way) so you'll rarely be truly alone where people don't know where you should be each evening.

My biggest advice to you is to never tell a stranger you are hiking alone. Move along quickly if you get a bad vibe from someone and never hitch hike by yourself.

Like others have said, your in more danger when you're in civilization than when you're on your own.

Blissful
09-26-2009, 09:46
Safer than walking down the neighborhood street...

GeneralLee10
09-26-2009, 10:32
I have never had any problems while hiking or at camp. Maybe it's cause my 45 on my side:eek:, JK:D. No, I NEVER carry any gun only 1 or 2 knives I have one around my neck and one on my pack. The one on my neck I use it to kill myself if it gets bad:D.

Sherrill, I ask and get asked the same questions you posted. I do not think they are creepy questions. I would look at them as common questions.

It is most important to go with your gut instincts no matter male or female. It all so does not matter what you do if It or they want you it will happen. We all have a number and when it gets pulled there is nothing one can do. People live in fear everyday and it stops them from doing things they would love to do. It is a shame the ones living life like this try to stop others from enjoying there life.

neighbor dave
09-26-2009, 10:40
And if you bump into old folks that are hiking alone "we are not all creeps" so please do not jump into conclusions when we are near passed out covered in sweat and rolling our eyes at the shelter exausted from a long day.:rolleyes:

P.s. unless they answer to Neighborhood Dave. :eek:

huh??:confused:

ShelterLeopard
09-26-2009, 16:55
Oh, and one other thing. I've heard (from some thru hikers from a couple years ago) that someone stopped and asked them if they were "ahead or behind" as in , ahead of or behind their partner(s). Always say that you're ahead, because it means that your partner might walk up any second and will notice your absence.

Captn
09-26-2009, 18:30
Oh, and one other thing. I've heard (from some thru hikers from a couple years ago) that someone stopped and asked them if they were "ahead or behind" as in , ahead of or behind their partner(s). Always say that you're ahead, because it means that your partner might walk up any second and will notice your absence.

ALWAYS say your hiking with a group .... in fact, "I'm surprised they haven't caught up yet .... should be along any minute."

Don't use pronouns like I ... instead say we, us, .... talk about yourself in the plural.

Carry a Knife and make it visible .... it doesn't need to be big, a pocket folder clipped so that the clip shows on your front pocket, for example.

Remember this ... ANY predator, two leg or 4 leg will only act if they think there is a great probability of success .... if you appear confident, look them in the eyes, and at a minimum carry a couple of hiking poles with sharp points on them instead of those stupid rubber tips, .... well, you look more like someone who'll put up a fight instead of go easy.

The more work it looks like to a predator the less likely they are to act. Don't make it easy, don't get overconfident, PAY attention to your surroundings, and You'll be fine in almost any situation, on the trail or on the street.

J5man
09-26-2009, 19:14

Also consider carrying a SPOT. You can ping your family anytime letting them know you are OK (plus they will enjoy seeing where you are on the google earth Map and get "follow" your journey). It has several buttons for different functions, one being an EMERGENCY button sending local search and rescue. Plus carry a knife.

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2009, 20:08
There are great folk out on the trail, Hikers are not all creeps.

neighbor dave
09-26-2009, 20:12
please explain how?
someone asked if the a.t. is safe.
i said, there are creeps everywhere, the a.t. is no exception, one needs to be careful no matter where you are. had nothing to do with "everyone" on whiteblaze. you mis read my post.

neighbor dave
09-26-2009, 20:15
re-read my post
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=898603&postcount=8
i said every where in the world, not running rampant all over the a.t.:rolleyes:
show me where the smile in your post is:confused:

weary
09-26-2009, 21:45
"....Remember this ... ANY predator, two leg or 4 leg will only act if they think there is a great probability of success .... if you appear confident, look them in the eyes, and at a minimum carry a couple of hiking poles with sharp points on them instead of those stupid rubber tips, .... well, you look more like someone who'll put up a fight instead of go easy...."
Well, I say be suspicious of folks like Captn, who think spikes are useful on hiking sticks.
Weary

Captn
09-26-2009, 21:57
:dance

Sarcasm ....... wow, I wouldn't have expected that here on Whiteblaze ....

:D

Well, I say be suspicious of folks like Captn, who think spikes are useful on hiking sticks.
Weary

shelterbuilder
09-27-2009, 09:55
I'd like to add, and this goes for anybody, is to be wary of anyone you don't know asking you specific questions about where you're headed, how far you're hiking, where you plan to camp, etc.

Sometimes these can be innocent questions from someone who does not realize it can make you uncomfortable. Usually your gut can help you decide if this is the case. But if someone does make you uneasy, be polite and move on.

"Gut feelings" count for a lot when you're trying to figure out if someone might be a threat. Back in civilization, many people "turn off" that gut-feeling indicator (or ignore it), and the more people there around you, the less likely you are to wind up in trouble by doing so...most of the time. But if something "doesn't feel right" about somebody, something probably ISN"T right about them - at that point, it's time to leave.

Trust your "gut" - it doesn't lie.

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2009, 11:46
SB you and I run into folk all the time on the AT and even with the GFI (Gut Feeling Indicator)turned on they all or 90% turn out to awesome folk. Less than 9% get on the "strange" and 1 percent is on avoid at all costs.

shelterbuilder
09-27-2009, 12:14
SB you and I run into folk all the time on the AT and even with the GFI (Gut Feeling Indicator)turned on they all or 90% turn out to awesome folk. Less than 9% get on the "strange" and 1 percent is on avoid at all costs.

I've run into some that I would call "strange but harmless" - this happens all the time. (Heck, sometimes I even fall into this catagory :D) But I'm talking about the type of person who, at first glance, appears to be "on the up-and-up", but there's STILL something about them that doesn't seem quite right - that feeling is the "GFI" going off. If that happens, my advice would be to leave - now.

In 35 years of hiking, this has happened to me exactly twice, and both times, I've made some sort of excuse to pack up and move on down the trail. Did I lose out on the chance to get to know someone awesome? Maybe, but given the situation, I still feel that my actions were correct. We're talking about personal safety, and in that context, if there's ANY question about the other person, then the best thing to do is to leave. It's better to hurt someone's feelings than to get hurt yourself...I'm just sayin'.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2009, 16:31
I just ran into a woman who was about my age and was hiking the other way, and she did something that reminded me of this thread. It's important when hiking to have an "air of confidence" to look people in the eye say "Hi" and have a good stride. Today I had a woman who wouldn't look at me, talked about how great her dog was, with brief nervous laughs between short silly thoughts. I kid you not she used "vacume cleaners" and "grand mother" in the same sentence, I had no idea what she was talking about. I just kept going because she was clearly "weird" and I was one of ten guys within a mile of each other so I wasn't going to stop. If she was that scared what was she doing on a back trail?

So chalk that up for things to do to make you safe on the trail.

Honest I am just not that scary! so it really irritates me when I can tell.

Dogwood
10-04-2009, 17:22
BigCranky, that was a very uncranky, well written, and accurate post!

DaveJohns
10-04-2009, 17:59
Bear Spray FTW. A can of the stuff is lightweight, you can carabiner it to your packstrap, pretty much paints a great big DO NOT MESS WITH ME sign for you.

Doctari
10-04-2009, 20:25
I second (third? forth?) the "I'm with a group, surprised they haven't caught up with me yet!" suggestion. The "dangerous places" along the trail are near road crossings, yes gravel roads count. So be alert always, just be more alert when near easy access.
My tongue in cheek nickname in the Renaissance fair dance troupe I'm with is "Creepy Old Guy" and trust me, after a long day hiking or at fair, I am seriously creepy looking :eek: BUT, I will not be offended if I creep you out & you move on. You should ALWAYS trust your feelings in this, even if it means hiking back the way you came to meet someone you know who is behind you! H***, I even do it sometimes, left a shelter in TN a few years ago near dark because I got bad vibes from the group gathering there. Turned out to be a misjudgment (from someone I trust who stayed) but I will not hesitate to do it again. Even if it means leaving at midnight. But then, I no longer stay in shelters so,,,,,,

All that being said: have a good time, you will be safer there than in the city, 99% of those you meet will be GREAT people, the rest easily avoided. Besides, the AT is fairly heavily traveled so you will have ample company if you want, or not if you don't.