PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-Light Gear

gardenville
08-03-2004, 13:17
I have seen the term Hyper-Light used for some gear. One big gear company has a couple of tents they call Hyper-Light. Those tents weight over 3 pounds and I would not call that Hyper-Light. A company just introduced a revised pack that weighs 7oz and they call that Hyper-Light. I have made packs as light as 4oz and I would call that Hyper-Light. I think 7oz is on the low end of Ultra-Light. I really like the company that makes that pack and will not quibble over 1oz for awhile.

I would like your thoughts about how light different pieces of gear need to be to fit into the Hyper-Light class.

Such as: (example)

Pack:
No Frame 0.1oz to 6.0oz
External Frame (stripped) 0.1oz to 8.0oz
External Frame w/Pack complete 0.1oz to 14oz.

Sleeping Bag:
Down
Other fill

Sleeping Pad:
1/3 full
1/2 full
3/4 full
Full size (about 72" +)

ETC ETC ETC

I will edit this page with your suggestions

I think Hyper-Light should be about 1/2 to 1/3 of what we now think of as Ultra-Light.

HikeLite
08-04-2004, 09:51
I suppose you are speaking of gossamer gears G5 Hyperlight pack. I always thought the terms were meant for base pack weights, not weights of individual gear. Obviously, you cannot take a 3 pound tent when the hyperlight (or subultralight) gear weight is less than about 5 pounds or so, but Ryan Jordan has a gearlist under 5 pounds that does include that pack.

gardenville
08-04-2004, 13:14
I suppose you are speaking of gossamer gears G5 Hyperlight pack. I always thought the terms were meant for base pack weights, not weights of individual gear. Obviously, you cannot take a 3 pound tent when the hyperlight (or subultralight) gear weight is less than about 5 pounds or so, but Ryan Jordan has a gearlist under 5 pounds that does include that pack.

Yes, I am referring to Gossamer's "newest" version of the G5. As a side note the pack Ryan listed in his article "SuperUltraLight: Breaking the Five-Pound Barrier" seems to have been a custom made G5 that Ryan said had a weight of 5.9oz. Ryan says it was "restitched to reduce its volume by about one-third". GVP's old web site says the G5 weight is listed as "The Standard Pack" weight of "under 8oz". The Hyper-Light term is used on the new site with the weight of 7oz. What ever.

I collect gear lists and if we just think about Total Pack Weight of say under the "five-pound barrier" then if the rest of my gear was so light that I could carry a 3 pound tent and still be under five pounds am I "SuperUltraLight" Rayn's word?

I started about a year ago to make an Ultra-Light set of gear that would work for a Late Spring/Summer/ Early Fall AT Thru-Hike. I studied Light-Weight/Ultra-Light gear lists to see how others were doing it. In making my own gear I discovered that my gear was getting lighter and lighter. I was pushing into what I would call the Hyper-Light Gear world fast. I believe I am pushing the 3 pound barrier. I am also doing it with mostly full size gear. No 1/2 size, no padding, sleeping pad in my gear set. No shivers at night with a cold no heat wimpy sleeping bag/quilt etc.

My warmer weather AT gear set is now mostly done. I have turned my attention to designing a set of Ultra-Light/Hyper-Light winter gear. I am thinking about a possible SOBO January start AT Thru-Hike or at least a gear set that would support a hike at that time of year and expected weather.

TedB
08-04-2004, 22:35
One big gear company has a couple of tents they call Hyper-Light.

HYPER-LIGHT = credit card grease?

:banana