PDA

View Full Version : Departing tomorrow! Woot!

bpitt
09-24-2009, 09:10
Well, I and my hiking partner will be heading up to Fontana tomorrow as soon as I get off work. Shuttle to pick us up at 9am Saturday morning and take us to Davenport Gap, then we'll be heading back to Fontana, completing the 'smokies section' of the A.T.

Reservations have been made, gear is packed, I'm ready to hit the trail!

We aren't anticpating any water shortage, lol. However, I'm hearing of 'bear warnings' at some of the shelters, so that should make it more adventurous, eh?

Looks like lows will be in the 40's, so the 20 degree bag should be okay.

Any last minute advice/suggestions?

Chaco Taco
09-24-2009, 09:15
You may want to call the Park office and check on any shelter closures. i had heard that Russell Field and others were closed because of bears a few weeks ago.

Water will be no problem, got 6 inches of rain this week.

Jayboflavin04
09-24-2009, 09:15
Have a great time!

Foyt20
09-24-2009, 15:00
Have a great time.

Rcarver
09-24-2009, 15:15
Mt Collins shelter is closed for repairs. Yet, it is not listed on the web site.

humunuku
09-24-2009, 17:15
bring a rain coat - saturday will be wet

winger
09-24-2009, 18:37
Bring very good rain gear and 'try' to stay dry.

Hikes in Rain
09-25-2009, 09:55
And above all, have a great trip!

SMSP
11-01-2009, 21:26
So, how did the trip go, post some pics.

I just returned a couple weeks ago from GSM. Did my first overnighter in the GSM. Mileage was nothing to brag about, but had a great time with great views. Planning to go back in Spring of 2011.

We had a planned originally to hike to Icewater, then goto to Charlies Bunio and return to Icewater, then hike down the Boulevard to Mt. LeConte then down Alum Cave Trail. We changed our plans when we realized our pace on the first day was not looking good for an 11 mile day on day #2. It would have put us possibly coming down AC the last 1-2 miles in the dark with bad trail conditions. So, we opted to hang out at Icewater the first day, enjoy the views. Second day, we hung our packs at Icewater, then went to Charlies Bunion, then return to the shelter, got packs and went back to Newfound Gap. Bummed a ride back to AC to get vehicle.

Again, mileage was not to brag, but had an excellent time.

SMSP

Blissful
11-01-2009, 21:28
Nothing wrong with that. Who cares about miles? Glad you had a good time. Its a nice section. :)

double j
11-02-2009, 14:05
that place is miserable when it has rained alot , have fun

lazy river road
11-02-2009, 14:52
woot woot have fun happy trails be safe im jelous....

MuffinMan11
11-03-2009, 11:35
So, how did the trip go, post some pics.

I just returned a couple weeks ago from GSM. Did my first overnighter in the GSM. Mileage was nothing to brag about, but had a great time with great views. Planning to go back in Spring of 2011.

We had a planned originally to hike to Icewater, then goto to Charlies Bunio and return to Icewater, then hike down the Boulevard to Mt. LeConte then down Alum Cave Trail. We changed our plans when we realized our pace on the first day was not looking good for an 11 mile day on day #2. It would have put us possibly coming down AC the last 1-2 miles in the dark with bad trail conditions. So, we opted to hang out at Icewater the first day, enjoy the views. Second day, we hung our packs at Icewater, then went to Charlies Bunion, then return to the shelter, got packs and went back to Newfound Gap. Bummed a ride back to AC to get vehicle.

Again, mileage was not to brag, but had an excellent time.

SMSP

From the sounds of it SMSP you where there the night we where 10-19-09. My friend was the tall guy 6'7". Interesting seeing someone else here from our first trip to the trail.