PDA

View Full Version : Swarta Gap -Port Clinton

The Big J
09-24-2009, 12:00
Started another tread a day ago, this section sounds good. Any help would be appreciated. Looking to do one of two overnights along this section. Pa. rt. 183 Near Fort Dietrich to Port Clinton. I would stay at Eagles Nest (Any info, Water, etc.). Is there overnight parking in Port Clinton? Is there any one that could shuttle to the drop off At rt. 183. The other Hike is Pa rt. 501 to Swarta Gap. I would be needing overnight parking in Swarta Gap, and a shuttle to trail head. Any recommdation on cheap lodging or campground in the area?

flemdawg1
09-24-2009, 12:30
Lickdale Campground is about a half mile south from Swatara Gap.

The Big J
09-24-2009, 13:10
Eckville to Port clinton might be alright to, Staying at windsor furnace shelter. How is the water situation in this part of PA.? I here the Pinnacle is a nice view.

Blissful
09-24-2009, 13:26
PM Emerald.

ki0eh
09-24-2009, 15:37

Actually it's about 3 miles compass-south (Trail-east) on a side trail (old RR bed, parallels PA 72, a busy road). There is other resupply in Lickdale, see thread on Lickdale (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35041&highlight=lickdale) for more info.

Cookerhiker
09-24-2009, 17:10
My recollection is the after the ascent from Swatara Gap is where the rocky stretches start in earnest. But at least you're missing the Bake Oven Knob area.

The Big J
09-24-2009, 17:41
I think I have narrowed it down. Drive into Port Clinton tomorrow night park at the trail head and camp in the pavilion. Go to Ye olde backpacker for a shuttle ride. Then either get shuttle to Rt.183 near Ft. Dietrch and walk back to Port Clinton. The other option get shuttled to Eckville and walk back to Port Clinton. Is parking in Port Clinton at the trailhead safe, or should I pay to park at the Ye Olde Backpacker. Wich route most likly has better water?

emerald
09-24-2009, 17:54
PM Emerald.

He should call YOB at 610 562-2322 to discuss his plans. Frankly, I don't like the camping proposal for the 1st night which I believe is not in accordance with St. John's Church's policies.

Scott posted St. John's Church's rules not long ago which as I recall prohibit use of the pavilion by supported hikers and parking of their vehicles. Parking along PA 61 and hiking to the pavilion and camping there strikes me disrespecting the intent of their conditions of use. At my earliest convenience, I'll attempt to get my hands on a copy of the rules and post them.

I suggest following up with SJC or parking at Hamburg's trailhead with advance permission instead and camping on the NPS tract if free overnight accomodations are desired.

emerald
09-24-2009, 18:30
Borough of Hamburg 610 562-7821

Call weekdays during business hours only.

The Big J
09-24-2009, 19:27
Emerald the person I spoke to told me to park at the trailhead and camp at the pavilion. If that's not what is meant for then I will find another option. Is the watershed lot the same as the trailhead parking in town? If not do I contact the # you gave me for Hamburg to get permission. I was thinking of driving up and camping at I think it was Blue Rock campground. Then drive into town on saturday morning to YOB for my shuttle. This may be the easiest option. What route that I have mentioned do you think would be more enjoyable for my girlfriend. I get to do two section hikes a year about 14 days total, so I do have some experience. I just want her to enjoy the hike.

Wags
09-24-2009, 19:32
the pinnacle is an excellent experience. water should be fine near port C

emerald
09-24-2009, 21:40
Emerald, the person I spoke to told me to park at the trailhead and camp at the pavilion.

The property is owned by St. John's Church. I would hope whomever you spoke with at Ye Olde Backpacker would know the rules well enough to advise you. I'm not claiming to know them better. I was relying on my own recollection and interpretation.

The rules and contact information for the church official(s) involved with its oversight are posted at the pavilion. I don't know who may be responsible for it at this time.

Is the watershed lot the same as the trailhead parking in town? If not, do I call the number you gave me for Hamburg to get permission?

The watershed parking area is a short walk from Windsor Furnace Shelter. If you call Hamburg, they'll be happy to provide directions and explain their rules should you chose to use the shelter, tent or hammock on the NPS tract within their watershed.

I was thinking of driving up and camping at Blue Rocks Family Campground, then heading into town on Saturday morning to YOB for my shuttle. This may be the easiest option.

Blue Rocks Family Campground (http://www.bluerockscampground.com/) may be a better option if you'd prefer not renting a room.

What route that I have mentioned do you think would be more enjoyable for my girlfriend? I get to do two section hikes a year about 14 days total, so I do have some experience. I just want her to enjoy the hike.

Allow me to re-read what you've posted. I'll answer your question tonight before retiring.

emerald
09-24-2009, 21:52
How is the water situation in this part of PA?

You should not have trouble finding water. See Pennsylvania Water Sources 2009 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52656) for more detailed information.

emerald
09-24-2009, 22:46
The weather report (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Port+Clinton&state=PA&site=PHI&textField1=40.5822&textField2=-76.0247&e=0) calls for a cool night Friday followed by rain. I'd monitor the weather reports to make the most of what opportunities present themselves.

It seems like you have a good grasp of your alternatives. You're likely to encounter less traffic on SGL 110 and Weiser State Forest than on Hamburg's Watershed or Hawk Mountain Sanctuary especially weekends.

You might find Reading & Northern Railroad's rail yard at Port Clinton interesting. Click on Reading and Northern Railroad (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=737321&postcount=1) for more about it.

I recommend anything on the menu at Deitsch Eck (http://www.deitscheck.com/). Directions may be found on their website or ask at Port Clinton.

The Big J
09-25-2009, 07:57
Emerald Thank you for the help. We are going to aim for staying at Blue Rocks Campground. Then getting a shuttle from YOB. After showing my Fiance the trail map she choose Rt. 183 to Port Clinton for the terrain. It looks like a nice ridge walk. She likes being at a campsite away from the everyday grind, she just does not like carrying the pack to get there. She is getting better though. I just want to get out. I have not been out since April (Luray, Va. to Harpers Ferry). Except for a day hike in August to MT. Tammany to get engaged. Thank you again you been a pleasent help.

flemdawg1
09-25-2009, 13:40
Actually it's about 3 miles compass-south (Trail-east) on a side trail (old RR bed, parallels PA 72, a busy road). There is other resupply in Lickdale, see thread on Lickdale (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35041&highlight=lickdale) for more info.

Oops, you're right. Seemed shorter when getting shuttled to Swatar Gap.

emerald
09-25-2009, 15:04
Emerald, thank you for the help. We are going to aim for staying at Blue Rocks Family Campground, then get a shuttle from YOB. After showing my fiance the trail map, she choose Rt. 183 to Port Clinton for the terrain.

Enjoy yourself and especially your stay at Eagle's Nest Shelter. I am not the least bit ashamed to post I helped build it many years ago and re-open its vista after many years of neglect. I would also like to apologize for shelterbuilder in advance should the composting privy still be unusable. He has no doubt been busy with other issues and we are poorer for a lack of his posts.

Let us know how everything goes, okay? Post a report to this thread and PM me if you wish.

Trooper
09-29-2009, 15:17
FYI - wear long pants from Swatara Gap to where the William Penn Shelter is. It hasn't been well maintained. Lots of poison ivy and overgrown grass along that section. Water should be ok. It's not flowing a lot, but there's enough to filter water. I was just there a few weekends ago. The Windsor Furnace shelter isn't the nicest, although it'll work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The Big J
03-10-2010, 13:32
Sorry for the so late reply Emerald. Thanks for your help on this hike back in September. My wife and I did not end up doing the overnight hike. The weather outlook was rainy, and she is a fair weather hiker. She is trying to like it, so I did not want to force her to hike. Instead we brought the big roomy 5 man tent and stayed at Bluerocks camp ground on Friday and Saturday night. We day hiked out of the campground up to the Pinnical and North on the AT for a while. Pinnical was so relaxing. Made it back to the camp ground just in time Saturday afternoon to pouring rain for the remainder of the night and Sunday. Wife enjoyed the big tent nice camp dinner all under a dry tarp. Thanks again for the Pointers.

emerald
03-10-2010, 15:36
Sounds like a good compromise to me. Next time, maybe the weather will cut you a better deal.

Don H
03-10-2010, 20:33
In PC you can park in the rail yard, there is a place designated as hiker parking. Parking info can be found here:
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=1%20&sectionID=4
From there it's only a few blocks to the pavilion or hike 8.6 miles south to Eagles Nest.

10-K
03-10-2010, 22:15

Lickdale is probably one of my favorite town stops of all. That place is heaven....

And the "Three C's" in Port Clinton is winner for best breakfast. :)

Panzer1
03-10-2010, 22:54
Emerald the person I spoke to told me to park at the trailhead and camp at the pavilion.

Yea, that will work. You just can't park you car in front of the pavilion if you are staying overnight there.

Panzer