PDA

View Full Version : unicoi gap to GSMNP

cody taylor
09-24-2009, 16:02
I need some help here....I'm hiking from unicoi gap to davenport gap starting next week....Where could I park my jeep and how do I get to and from the trailheads? Any and all help is appreciated!

dreamsoftrails
09-24-2009, 16:14
you need to call a shuttler in the area. the only one that really comes to mind is ron haven in franklin, operator of the budget and saphire inns. not sure if that shuttle is in his range but i am sure he could turn you to anyone who would.

bigcranky
09-24-2009, 19:01
You can leave your car at the Big Creek ranger station, which is down a side trail from the AT just south of Davenport Gap. Or you can leave it at Standing Bear Farm, a hostel just north of I-40. The proprietor, Curtis, can help with shuttle arrangements.

Other potential shuttlers would be Jeff and Nancy Hoch at The Hike Inn near Fontana. That would be a nice place to resupply and get a shower on the hike, too.

cody taylor
09-24-2009, 19:26
if I could leave my car at Big Creek that would be great. I would only need to shuttle to unicoi gap to start my hike. Is that a safe place to leave it?

Marta
09-25-2009, 12:09
Big Creek is safe for car parking, but if it were my hike, I'd call Curtis and get a package price for the shuttle and car parking. His farm is very close to the trail, while Big Creek is not close for any shuttler to pick you up at.

cody taylor
09-25-2009, 12:20
thanks for the advice....I was thinkin that maybe I should park around the Fontana Dam area and just doin a loop thru the park. That way the car will be closer and less shuttling...maybe..just a thought.

Hikes in Rain
09-25-2009, 12:50
Certainly doable. Start at Fontana and take the AT. Loop back via the Eable Creek pf Jenkins Ridge Trails (depending on time). If you have more time, carry on the AT until just past Silers Bald, then take the Hazel Creek Trail down to the Lakeshore Trail and back to Fontana.

Marta
09-25-2009, 18:21
Have you called the Backcountry Reservation folks in the Park yet? Availibility of spots in the shelters may affect your plans.

There are an almost infinite variety of loops possible in the Park. The AT gives you a pretty narrow view of the Park. If you're not committed to spending all your time sectioning the AT, there are a bunch of wonderful side trails, and trails along the lake shore. There are waterfalls.

The Backcountry Reservation people can help you make a good plan. They know the campsites and trails well, and since they're also able to see what's available, they can help you work out your trip.

Coming from out of state (which it appears you are probably doing), Fontana is a much harder drive than Big Creek, which is not far off I-40.

gollwoods
09-25-2009, 19:59
Have you called the Backcountry Reservation folks in the Park yet? Availibility of spots in the shelters may affect your plans.

There are an almost infinite variety of loops possible in the Park. The AT gives you a pretty narrow view of the Park. If you're not committed to spending all your time sectioning the AT, there are a bunch of wonderful side trails, and trails along the lake shore. There are waterfalls.

The Backcountry Reservation people can help you make a good plan. They know the campsites and trails well, and since they're also able to see what's available, they can help you work out your trip.

Coming from out of state (which it appears you are probably doing), Fontana is a much harder drive than Big Creek, which is not far off I-40.

one time I called to reserve sites and the guy said they had no laurel gap in the park. guess he was new or something

Marta
09-25-2009, 21:21
one time I called to reserve sites and the guy said they had no laurel gap in the park. guess he was new or something

Ouch. I think there are also volunteers that sometimes answer the phones.

The one time I called to reserve a place that was already full, the ranger on the other end suggested an alternate hike, of similar mileage and difficulty, that ended up being a better choice than the one I had originally planned.

Other than that, I'm usually headed for unreserved tentsites, or hiking off season, and haven't had a problem.

Getting someone to answer the phone at all is the biggest challenge.

shoe
09-26-2009, 11:13
If you wanted to do a loop you could do an AT/Benton MacKaye loop.