PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Out

Graywolf
09-24-2009, 21:48
I was just curious if I am the only one who suffers from this sickness, ( I highly dought it).

How long was it after your hike, (thru hike, section hike, etc,) when you returned home, you just couldn't wait to get back out? Having done my first section hike this August, Springer to Nees Gap, I am ready to hit the trail again, this time with updated gear. All I am thinking about is th trail. I keep looking at all the pictures I took and wished I was there and not here. maybe a late fall hike in early December will snuff the urge, (NOT!!).

What about your "Hiking Tendacies)?, sorry bout the spelling.

Bearpaw
09-24-2009, 21:56
Wanting to get back out is perfectly normal.

Tipi Walter
09-24-2009, 22:09
And there's a lot of places to go backpacking other than the Appalachian Trail.

Graywolf
09-24-2009, 22:42
Whewwww..... Thanks Bear Paw, I guess that settles it then. Glad I have family.:rolleyes:

Thanks walter, I was thinking about other trails for a late fall hike in the south but can't come up with any good ones.

I was thinking about the Florida Trail but I hear it is flooded all the time and I havnt yet found a canoe that will fit into my back pack.

So my other option was the Pinhoti Trail, but I would need to find a shuttle to the trail from the bus station and I don't know of shuttles in Alabama.

Next on the list is the Lonestar Trail, but heard alot of bad reviews of it.

Sheeessssssshhhhhh!!!!! Gotta go somewhere!!!!!! Know of any good desert hikes???

bpitt
09-24-2009, 22:46
What about the Oauchita Trial or Ozark Highlands trail in Arkansas, those are a little closer to you.

sbhikes
09-24-2009, 23:18
I've wanted to get back out, too, but it's been too hot and stuff keeps coming up on weekends. I'm ready to get back into my local area again.

If you want to hike in the desert, how about starting on the PCT or the Arizona Trail?

Graywolf
09-24-2009, 23:28
I've wanted to get back out, too, but it's been too hot and stuff keeps coming up on weekends. I'm ready to get back into my local area again.

If you want to hike in the desert, how about starting on the PCT or the Arizona Trail?

Those are the others on the list. I actually was on the AZ trail website when you posted. That seems like a nice winter hike as the summers.....Well, you know HOT!!!!!!. The PCT seems good but how early does the passes close in the south? And is there a shuttle form San Diego to Campo at that time of year? Theses are thoughts on my mind, not really questions as I am sure I will find out one way or the other.

The Ouachita Trail is GREAT FUN, but I have been on that taril back and forwards and could use some new scenery, plus every time I have been there after thanksgiving it has always been a winter wonderland. Beautifull, but if I want winter hiking, I'll chose the AT.

HMMMMmmmmm..... 'sigh'!!!!! Too many trails, too little time!!!

Jayboflavin04
09-24-2009, 23:49
i am a chronic sufferer! i have it sooo bad I gave it to my 8 yr old boy.

Graywolf
09-24-2009, 23:54
i am a chronic sufferer! i have it sooo bad I gave it to my 8 yr old boy.

Oh Oh.... Well, best to catch it when your young...

Tinker
09-25-2009, 01:03
I finally got out for four days to finish my NY section. This was paid vacation time.
I'm going to take some unpaid days to go out next week to the White Mts.
If it weren't for time and money I'd hike ALL the time. :D!

Oh - ah- and my wife, the non hiker...................:)

Graywolf
09-25-2009, 01:07
I finally got out for four days to finish my NY section. This was paid vacation time.
I'm going to take some unpaid days to go out next week to the White Mts.
If it weren't for time and money I'd hike ALL the time. :D!

Oh - ah- and my wife, the non hiker...................:)

Lets I'm not married, money, well.....next topice please!!! Matbe I should hike all the time..:D

Hike in the Whites... That should be nice!!!!

MkBibble
09-25-2009, 09:35
... Next on the list is the Lonestar Trail, but heard alot of bad reviews of it. Sheeessssssshhhhhh!!!!! Gotta go somewhere!!!!!! ...

Graywolf, I'm in the same boat. I have spent the last few weeks trying to figure out ANY way to get back out there before winter sets in. I live about an hour from parts of the Lonestar trail, but it is just so.... FLAT. Just like everything else around here. I have been reading about the LST a lot lately, trying to convince myself that it's better than nothing.

I thought about the Ozarks, but I can grab a flight to Atlanta and get there just as cheaply and quickly...

Unfortuatley, looks like it will be early summer before I can get back.... oh well...

Jayboflavin04
09-25-2009, 09:57
That is what I am trying to figure out. I am gonna watch my friends band in WV. If I am gonna drive all that way I am gonna get out for an overnighter. I am trying to weasel time off from my boss by trying to work 12hr shifts and everything else.

sbhikes
09-25-2009, 10:24
The PCT seems good but how early does the passes close in the south? And is there a shuttle form San Diego to Campo at that time of year?

You could do Section A and part of Section B, up to about Highway 74 near Idyllwild without worrying about snow. You should have comfortable daytime temperatures and cold nighttime temperatures.

There is public transportation from San Diego to Campo all year.

faarside
09-25-2009, 10:33
I would hike as a "career" if I did not have family and bills. You know what they say, "... you can take the man out of the tent, but you can't take the tent out of the man."

(who are THEY anyway) :-?

Tractor
09-25-2009, 10:40
It takes about three days for me, sometimes two. A few times I have returned home and set out again in as little as four days unplanned until two days prior. Conditions allowing.

dreamsoftrails
09-25-2009, 14:24
when i got back from my long section hike this year, i was on the trail again in a couple weeks. it was great. it helps when plenty of trails are in your backyard

Blissful
09-25-2009, 14:30
After my hike in '07 I didn't want to go out for a while. But it didn't last long, and I was making plans for 2011.

MkBibble
09-25-2009, 15:57
... it helps when plenty of trails are in your backyard

Thanks for rubbing it in!

Graywolf
09-26-2009, 00:53
Thanks for rubbing it in!

No kidding, nearest trail to me is 265 miles in Oklahoma. I guess ther are some state parks close by but at 4 miles long, come on, give me a break.

coheterojo
09-26-2009, 08:21
I'm thinking about getting back out just about the 1st minute I'm off the trail. The past decade or so I've spent every paid holiday wandering west to the mountains.

I spent the first 10 years of my life in Massachusetts and always went camping and hiking in the Whites of New Hampshire. Then we moved south. The next 30 years or so were spent paying more attention to sex, drugs and rock n' roll than to wilderness pursuits.

Barring all the extraneous details(marriage, kids, jobs, court dates, etc.) I've since seen the error of my ways and returned to the solace of the woods. Its 5 hours or more to get to the mtns from where I live but I'll be back in the Smokies for a weekend hike in late Oct, then the weekend after Thanksgiving and a final section hike on the AT(from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN) the week after Christmas before I start my thru-hike next April.

If I need a quicker fix I just get out on the Swamp Fox passage of the Palmetto Trail about 10 minutes from my apt here in SC. It's flatter than a pancake but it beats the heck outta watching the boobtube and waiting to die.

Graywolf
09-27-2009, 21:53
I'm thinking about getting back out just about the 1st minute I'm off the trail. The past decade or so I've spent every paid holiday wandering west to the mountains.

I spent the first 10 years of my life in Massachusetts and always went camping and hiking in the Whites of New Hampshire. Then we moved south. The next 30 years or so were spent paying more attention to sex, drugs and rock n' roll than to wilderness pursuits.

Barring all the extraneous details(marriage, kids, jobs, court dates, etc.) I've since seen the error of my ways and returned to the solace of the woods. Its 5 hours or more to get to the mtns from where I live but I'll be back in the Smokies for a weekend hike in late Oct, then the weekend after Thanksgiving and a final section hike on the AT(from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN) the week after Christmas before I start my thru-hike next April.

If I need a quicker fix I just get out on the Swamp Fox passage of the Palmetto Trail about 10 minutes from my apt here in SC. It's flatter than a pancake but it beats the heck outta watching the boobtube and waiting to die.

Yep, That about sums it up for me too. Now I have come full circle and realize it is time to get back out and LIVE!!!!