PDA

View Full Version : Hiking North of NOC on AT

tucker0104
09-25-2009, 14:43
What are the views and terrain like north of the Smokies park? I was thinking about taking a friend (new hiker) on a 30 mile trip next weekend and was just wondering if this was a good part of the AT to do?

dreamsoftrails
09-25-2009, 14:47
What are the views and terrain like north of the Smokies park? I was thinking about taking a friend (new hiker) on a 30 mile trip next weekend and was just wondering if this was a good part of the AT to do?

NOC is roughly 30 miles south of the smokies park. The 30 miles north of it are great, this includes max patch and you end at a great trail town, hot springs.

any part of the AT in NC is great, IMO. the best state of the southern AT.

bigcranky
09-25-2009, 16:18
Clarifying:

NOC is 30 miles south of the Smokies. The 30 miles between NOC and Fontana Dam (the southern boundary of the park) are wonderful. Steep, but good views from Cheoah Bald. If it were me, I would hike it southbound from Fontana to NOC.

The 30 miles *north* of the Smokies -- say, from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs -- is also a nice hike. Great views from Max Patch and Walnut Mountain.

Late September is a nice time to be on the trail.

Tipi Walter
09-25-2009, 16:22
Which is it, 30 miles north of the Smokies or 30 miles north of NOC?

dreamsoftrails
09-25-2009, 18:45
The 30 miles *north* of the Smokies -- say, from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs -- is also a nice hike. Great views from Max Patch and Walnut Mountain.

Late September is a nice time to be on the trail.
thanks, now that i re read my post i made it sound as if max patch and hot springs were thirty miles north of NOC. not the case OP!!!

its hard to choose which part of NC is the best. i enjoy every mile of it.

Blissful
09-25-2009, 20:04
I'd take the 30 miles north of the SMokies. 30 miles north of NOC is hard terrain, IMO, esp for a new hiker. Do Max Patch.

brian039
09-25-2009, 20:48
I'm not exactly sure if you're talking about the 30 miles north of the Smokies or the 30 miles north of the NOC. I did the section between the NOC and the Smokies two months ago and there were great views on top of Cheoah Bald where I camped. It rained that night so the next morning I had that "islands in the clouds" view where the mountain tops poke through the clouds. It was a 6-8 mile climb up to Cheoah and I don't remember it being that bad.
But the next day was totally different I did the 20+ some-odd miles to Fontana and let me tell you the climb out of Stecoah Gap is one you will never forget. Add to that the fact that I thought I was done climbing when I got to the marine, but the trail gods weren't done with me yet. I was PO'd at that point because I was so worn out and that climb didn't show up on my elevation profile. It was nice to have the shower at Fontana though. If you need a shuttle contact the people at the Hike Inn for this section.

tucker0104
09-26-2009, 08:32
Sorry, I have already done the AT throught he smokies. I was wondering about north of the smokies

dreamsoftrails
09-26-2009, 09:21
Sorry, I have already done the AT throught he smokies. I was wondering about north of the smokies
north of the smokies is great. you will enjoy it. look into camping on or near max patch. the night sky and or the sunrise there should be great if the weather allows.

pafarmboy
09-26-2009, 11:15
north of the smokies is great. you will enjoy it. look into camping on or near max patch. the night sky and or the sunrise there should be great if the weather allows.

Ditto what others have said. North out of the park through Max Patch is great.

pjbarr
10-09-2009, 18:57
well, i'm clearly biased (you might could figure out why ;)), but in addition to max patch, you'll get great views from the lookout towers on rich mountain and camp creek bald in your week northbound following the smokies.