PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2012

cat12muffin
09-25-2009, 19:45
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is thinking of hiking the AT in 2012 starting in Georgia. I know it seems far away but I wanted to start researching and planning and hiking to prepare. Let me know if you are looking for someone else to hike with sometime around the end of March that year. I am 26F and so far not quite as much experience camping and hiking but I am going somewhere almost every weekend at this point. I am from the Maryland area so if you are near and would like to hike portions of the trail let me know:)

JokerJersey
09-25-2009, 20:50
Depending on the situation, my g/f and I might be bumping our 2011 plans to 2012, but we'll see. Personally I hope we don't, but I'm trying to understand that there are other things that need to be done. :(

One piece of advice I can give you though is don't spend TOO much time researching, planning, and web surfing this stuff. It gets into your brain which isn't really helpful. If you know you can't go for 2 years...spend more time hiking and less time researching up until you get to about 8-9 months out...then start planning. Any farther out than that is just mental punishment...at least IMO.

We're in the Jersey area and have been spending about every other weekend out either dayhiking or overnighting. I'm 28, she's 29...though I'll be 29 as well this October. If you'd like to meet up with us at some point, let us know...we're always up for company. Neither of us is super experienced, but we know enough to get into trouble. :D

PM me if you'd be interested in doing a hike with us or whatever. Good luck out there! Maybe we'll see ya on the trail in 2012...if not, you can hopefully read our trailjournals from the year before to help ya plan!

Old Hiker
10-05-2009, 10:37
Greetings!

I WAS going to try for 2011, but it seems that it's going to be 29 Feb 2012 for me as well. It's still a faint possibility, but........ gotta get the bills paid down for my wife to allow me to leave for 6 months plus I have to have 3 months of lesson plans ready for a long-term sub, IF and ONLY if I can get a leave of absence. I'm old - 53 (centuries ) at current growth ring count and I have to get this done before I'm too downhill to do it. My Scout Troop has been section hiking for 3 years now. This last summer from Neel Gap to Standing Indian campgrounds. The year before they were rained out after 3 miles (I wasn't along) and the first year was Springer to Neel Gap. Been camping and hiking for decades, but I'm still hesitant to offer advice, as what I do is what works for me, esp. with all the mistakes I make. Still, free advice is free and well worth the cost.

Being down here in FL, I'm envious of you guys who are able to actually train with actual elevation. That's the roughest part for me: dealing with the elevation changes. My son is going to let me in his building to do the stairs at night and that should help.

Any-hoo - hope to see you in '12!

Old Hiker
I'm so far behind, I thought I was first!

cat12muffin
10-19-2009, 09:11
I cant wait to meet everyone on the trail! I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....

Lone Wolf
10-19-2009, 09:12
I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....

the first week of april is the best time to start NOBO

Moondancer5
10-19-2009, 11:53
I am also dreaming of being in the class of 2012. Had wanted this to happen much sooner, but due to circumstances I will have to wait until then. Just praying that I will still be physically able to do it. I plan to start in April and hike Northbound. Have much to do before then. And much to research to be able to do it. Looking forward to this experience.

Secret Squirrel
10-19-2009, 12:23
My retirement date is 2/12/2012.
I am hoping to start NOBO on 3/21/2012. Fingers crossed.

cat12muffin
10-22-2009, 12:47
Im finding as I research and read there is a lot to take in. Have you gone on some backpacking trips to break in new gear and to train? My theory is to just get as much experience in every kind of situation whether it be rain,sleet,snow or sunshine just so its not a shock out on the trail. What things have you done so far to prepare?

cat12muffin
10-22-2009, 12:49
To "gldodd" : I think its awesome you are going to tackle the trail hardly a month into retirement. Hope to see you out there and good luck!

Rockhead
10-28-2009, 17:56
Hello 2012ers
Was originally planning my hike for 2011 but due to the economy I'm (probably) changing my start date to 3/15ish/12. A little depressed about having to put it off for another year, but gotta do what ya gotta do. Nice to see there's people already planning. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Doughnut
10-28-2009, 21:03
Jan 27, 2012 My 50th Birthday, NOBO slowly, planning on lots of weather days, and enjoying the hike!

So far, i have sectioned Springer to Davenport, and the 100 mile wilderness (Kinnebec River to Abol Bridge)

cat12muffin
11-03-2009, 20:08
Hearing everyone elses experience makes me feel like such a newbie. I am backpacking the MD section of the AT this weekend Nov6-8. My first backpack trip alone ahhhhhh!

Crunchers
11-12-2009, 12:58
I too am planning a 2012 thru hike but not till around Feb. 24th. I am not gonna get in any kind of hurry and just go with the flow of how my body feels. Hope to meet all you fine folks out on the trail.

alaska moose
12-02-2009, 13:32
I am planning to thru hike in 2012, but my plans could change if I get into vet school. If I get in I then do not know when I will do my thru hike.

jb-
12-07-2009, 12:11
Hey folks, count me in...but I'll be headed SOBO. Maybe I'll see some of you guys and gals near halfway. :) I'm separating the military May 30th, 2012 and plan to start the trip on my bday - June 14th.

I was just on the trail last week near Stecoah and Fontana; my knees aren't used to that terrain after living in FL for 3 years. I'm going to have to do some strength training for sure.

Maddog
12-07-2009, 12:22
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is thinking of hiking the AT in 2012 starting in Georgia. I know it seems far away but I wanted to start researching and planning and hiking to prepare. Let me know if you are looking for someone else to hike with sometime around the end of March that year. I am 26F and so far not quite as much experience camping and hiking but I am going somewhere almost every weekend at this point. I am from the Maryland area so if you are near and would like to hike portions of the trail let me know:)good luck on your hike! :D

VA Hokie
01-03-2010, 17:30
i myself plan on being a 2012'er!!!!! am done with classes in the spring of 2011.. i figured i will have to work a yr to save the money to pay bills and have ter cash to hike!!!! i also know a lot can happen from now till then... but that is my plan!!! hope to talk to yall when our yr gets closer!!!!! but i am pumped!!!! CANT WAIT!!!

K-Man
01-07-2010, 17:33
I'll most likely be on the 2012 bandwagon...Probably gonna start March 24th. I said during my 2007 thru hike that I would hike this trail (at least) every 5 years. So far all of the stars and planets are aligning for that to happen.

Advice to any new North Bounders....Don't drive your self nuts planning every mail drop and creating a schedule. You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. The minute your hike becomes a chore to stay on schedule you are not having fun. The cliche "it's about the journey, not the destination" rang very true for me. Also, "It's about the smiles, not the miles" was a good one. =)

I think one's time is best spent before a thru hike becoming comfortable living in the woods and learning what gear works for you. Don't even go nuts trainnig to get physically fit!! I put on like 15lbs before my hike and lost all of it and then some.

The AT is just a long walking party...

Old Hiker
01-11-2010, 10:55
[QUOTE=K-Man;946763]

Advice to any new North Bounders....You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. ........ QUOTE]

Great! Just GREAT!!! Now, I have to find a brain as well and once I find one, I have to let it go free?!?!

There goes MY weight planning.

drainwater
01-29-2010, 12:28
I wanted to say hello to all the fellow 2012 hikers in planning/dreaming/saving modes.
2012 has been on my radar for a couple of years now. We WILL be starting our NOBO thru around March 15ish. Hiking will be myself (40 at trail date), my wife (42 in 2012) and our two boys (16 and 10 in 2012).
We have already put our house up for sale in anticipation and are actively working towards our goal of hiking the trail.
Here is our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=84f9944ab906de3eb59eb4f81d727e0c&next=http%3A%2F%2F208.43.140.99%2Fskyview%2Floadh. php&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/Rainh2os-2012-APPALACHIAN-TRAIL-THRU-HIKE/180547586481?ref=mf

We look forward to meeting other thru hikers before we hit the trail and especially on the trail.

alaska moose
02-08-2010, 12:11
OK my plans have changed, I'm going to be a 2012'er, I plan to start around the frst week of march! Just dont know how I am going to get to Georgia . . .

See you all in 2012!

Storm
02-08-2010, 13:13
I too am planning a 2012 thru NOBO. Plan on starting April 1st. Just seemed appropriate since everyone I know thinks I'm an old fool. Been doing a lot of road walks. Some with pack some without.

I figure at the worst if my plans fall through I'll be in better shape in two years than I am now. :sun

radcat21
03-26-2010, 18:28
I'm planning on heading out early march 2012, hopefully. can't wait!!!!

Hydromagnt
04-18-2010, 12:13
Storm, I like your approach. I'm planning a March 20, 2012 start date, north bound. The 20th is my birthday, and I'll be 61 on that day. I live in Maine, and my trail buddies and I do trail magic at Flagstaff Lake every year, week after Labor Day. I've been in touch w/ Baltimore (not Jack), and he's planning another thru in 2012. Looking forward to talking to everyone and meeting on the trail. Hydro(2012) :banana:banana:banana

Far East
07-19-2010, 05:59
Hi everybody!

I'm planning to hike the AT in 2012 as well (starting beginning/mid march). As I'm not from the US it will take some time to get everything in place (e.g. visa, health insurance, ...) and do some shake down trips here in Europe. My biggest concern currently is how to get to Springer, once on the trail I suppose I'll improvise if necessary...

Hope to see you in 2012
Frank from the far far East

livingXtreme
07-30-2010, 08:21
Yea I am!! Im leaving from New jersey in Mid March, I will let you know exactly what day. ( Im an EMT in new jersey ) I'm looking for partner too.. Look me up on Facebook. www.facebook.com/livingxtreme (http://www.facebook.com/livingxtreme)

livingXtreme
07-30-2010, 10:28
I cant wait! Im starting thr-hike 2012 Ga-Me; I read on www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) that you have to hit Maine before the close baxster state park for the winter. I dont know the exact date they close it, but as long as you reach Maine by mid september, you should be ok. I think its sometime in October they close Baxster.
-Scrambled Eggs
www.facebook.com/livingxtreme (http://www.facebook.com/livingxtreme)

livingXtreme
07-30-2010, 11:05
What type of tent/ type of shelter, is everyone bringing? I havent got mine yet and I dont know what one to get! As far as sleeping bag, I got a nice Marmot "Arroyo" 800 down great compressability, was able to compress it into a medium size dry sack. Also Got a nice REI flashpack 65 10+; VERY LIGHTWEIGHT!!!

Storm
07-30-2010, 11:14
I bought a Tarptent Moment. Have used it several times on the LHHT and it is great. Lightweight, sets up and comes down in no time. No problems with condensation with all the vents open.

Grampsb
07-30-2010, 15:29
I had to reschedule from 2011 to 2012 SOBO - Mid June

livingXtreme
08-11-2010, 17:22
Any Thru-hikers for 2012 that are from the NJ area. i would like to build the bond of comraderie prior to the hike. It really builds the excitement up and motivates when you have a friend to join the trail with.

HockeyGirl
08-23-2010, 07:58
Have changed from my original date of 2011 to March 15th 2012.
Will be heading out there from the UK and if really interested can find me either on Postholer or Trailjournals under Button.

Can't wait to see you all :)

10-K
08-23-2010, 08:12
I wonder what % of people who plan to hike the trail 2 years from now actually do?

Just curious - I hope everyone does...

Serial 07
09-08-2010, 22:21
I'm in for a 2012 hike...why not...

wicca32
09-08-2010, 23:17
Hey everyone
I was planning on 2011, but due to health problems, surgery's...have had to put off untill 2012...can't wait tho. Hopefully my youngest daughter (20) will still want to hike with me then :)

JybbaGirl
09-09-2010, 08:21
i'm planning a 2012 hike too! it will be here before we know it :D

Old Hiker
09-09-2010, 08:26
Hey everyone
I was planning on 2011, but due to health problems, surgery's...have had to put off untill 2012...can't wait tho. Hopefully my youngest daughter (20) will still want to hike with me then :)

Greetings, Wicca!

Noted you are from Weatherford - I have relatives just up the road in Bridgeport and down the road in (close to) Llano! Looks like you guys caught a BUNCH of rain the last few days. Good time to try out the rain gear, I'll bet. My wife and I are from Ballinger.

Hope to see you and everyone on the Trail 2012! I'll be the old guy everyone is passing, so I have to start 29 Feb.

wicca32
09-14-2010, 22:27
Greetings, Wicca!

Noted you are from Weatherford - I have relatives just up the road in Bridgeport and down the road in (close to) Llano! Looks like you guys caught a BUNCH of rain the last few days. Good time to try out the rain gear, I'll bet. My wife and I are from Ballinger.

Hope to see you and everyone on the Trail 2012! I'll be the old guy everyone is passing, so I have to start 29 Feb.

Hey...I won't be passing anyone, I'm taking it very slowly :) Right now I'm back in Oklahoma, came for a visit, got very ill, had to have surgery...but the grandkids sure make recovery fun. I missed most of the rain (thank goodness). Can't wait for 2012!

wicca32
09-14-2010, 22:31
Very flat land, where I live. I'm suppose to go to southeastern oklahoma i n a couple of weeks, to the Kiamichi Mountains. I need to get some training in before it gets too cold & nasty. But would be good to get shakedowns in that kind of weather LOL.

Whitewater2012
09-21-2010, 14:25
Planning a 2012 Thru-hike NOBO as well! Starting sometime early March.

daviddwilson
10-09-2010, 00:32
Hearing everyone elses experience makes me feel like such a newbie. I am backpacking the MD section of the AT this weekend Nov6-8. My first backpack trip alone ahhhhhh!
I too am planning a 2012 thru hike but not till around Feb. 24th. I am not gonna get in any kind of hurry and just go with the flow of how my body feels. Hope to meet all you fine folks out on the trail.

strollingalong
10-18-2010, 23:36
I'll be starting a 2012 nobo between 10th and 20th of March. Was supposed to be starting next year, but putting it off. Currently living and working in Mexico city... from UK

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 11:19
correction.... Sunday/Monday April 1st/2nd 2012.

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 11:21
I too am planning a 2012 thru NOBO. Plan on starting April 1st. Just seemed appropriate since everyone I know thinks I'm an old fool. Been doing a lot of road walks. Some with pack some without.

I figure at the worst if my plans fall through I'll be in better shape in two years than I am now. :sun

Well see you on the 1st!, pal. Nice name by the way, my middle name!

strollingalong
10-25-2010, 11:23
Have changed from my original date of 2011 to March 15th 2012.
Will be heading out there from the UK and if really interested can find me either on Postholer or Trailjournals under Button.

Can't wait to see you all :)

Hey good to see another Brit will be along with me... where you from? :jump

buzz48843
10-25-2010, 12:13
I was hoping for 2011, but just like many others, money is a huge factor. My plan now is to leave Springer mid-March of 2012. I started a thru-hike in 2009 and had to leave after a stress fracture in my foot. I have continued to section hike since then, but I have the thru-hiker bug.
I hope to see you all on the trail!!

HockeyGirl
10-26-2010, 08:02
Hey Ingles

I'm down in Hampshire, pretty much living & working southampton/Winchester area.
Where you from? Mexico city is pretty far from home!

strollingalong
10-26-2010, 17:51
I'm from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.... Yep Mexico City is my new home! the greatest place I've ever lived in. Beautiful city..... most people have a terribly incorrect image in their heads about it. No problems, more lovely city and high paying work for me!

Enjoy the Camino de Santiago!!!

Walkintom
10-28-2010, 20:58
My wife and I plan to start NOBO in mid/late March 2012.

We really look forward to getting in some elevation hikes over the next year (we live in FL and it is SO FLAT) and hope to see you on the trail!

Old Spice
11-09-2010, 10:29
Old Spice here. Originally nobo class of 06. Got off trail in northern Virginia somewhere. Ran out of money and wasn't ready emotionally or mentally to complete my thru even if I had the money. My girl "Secret" and I are aiming for the first week of April ga>me. For her a new dream, for me the fulfillment (fingers crossed) of an old one.

Reading over my old posts I'm a little embarrassed and wanna send a collective apology for those posts where my unresolved character defects affected any of you all. I am also really amazed at how focussed on gear I was at the time. Obsessive really. I just wanna hike this time around and do more mental prep than sit around manicly counting ounces. Hope to get to meet some of you once where out there 500or so days from now.

Half Note
11-19-2010, 19:42
New WhiteBlazer here. I was wondering if I there was a 2K12 thread yet, glad I found it. I too will be hiking then. Haven't decided on a start date yet. I don't know if I can talk a buddy of mine into going but he says that if he does go, he wants to start mid to late February. Yeesh. He doesn't know about hiking it all the way though so I might hold off until later because I for sure want to hike the entire trail.

Anywho, hoping to meet the lot of you on the AT!

Sunshine0202
11-30-2010, 21:18
For several years I have talked to my family about thru hiking the AT. I always told my home-schooled children that I had to wait until they were grown to thru-hike. Recently my children (14 & 11 in 2012) came to me and told me they wanted to thru with me and will help save the money for the trip. :-? So we have decided on starting a NOBO hike on March 29, 2012 (my sons B-day). Our measure of success is not going to be Katahdin but that we gave it our all and bonded as a family. We'll see how far that'll get us!:sun I figure teaching them how to plan and save $ is a good lesson anyway.

jshaw2025
11-30-2010, 23:33
I will be joining you all on the AT. I plan on leaving late march (probably a week before April) and hopefully will finish in late July, maybe early August. I decided to do a thru-hike this past January and can't get it out of my head. It's still a year and a half away!!!!! :eek:

(I found this site today and am proud to make my first post!)

trekkngirl
12-01-2010, 21:48
I attempted the AT in 2009 but developed a foot injury that took me off the trail after 300 miles.So eager to be back out there.My friend War Eagle and i plan on starting at the end of March..can't wait!!!

Serial 07
12-02-2010, 00:08
AHHHH! i can't wait to be hiking the AT again...2012 let's do this!

dbs1crew
12-07-2010, 12:54
Im planning a SOBO around June/July 2012. Ive already started training and planning for it.

dbs1crew
12-07-2010, 13:06
Ive pretty much got all of my gear. Im a hammock kinda guy, theyve worked well for me on my week/weekend hikes, so well see how she fairs on a 1/2 a year hike lol. What kind of stove is everyone using? Im thinkin about using my Whisperlite Int... kinda on the heavier side though...

Half Note
12-07-2010, 14:15
I'm designing a hybrid stove. I'm more a fan of a wood burning stove because it's more cost efficient but let's face it, every day won't be sunshine and rainbows. For the bad weather days I will have an alcohol burning supplement. This is the stove I intend on making this week actually. I plan on making and testing several different alcohol stoves to see which works best for my needs.

Stove Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-MKKt6GPo

dbs1crew
12-08-2010, 11:20
I guess Im the only SOBO hiker so far.

stretche
12-12-2010, 19:29
Its this or college, I can't decide yet....but if i would do a thru hike it would be in early-mid march

Old Hiker
12-20-2010, 23:38
I guess Im the only SOBO hiker so far.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the only grumpy NOBO SOB in 2012. Getting close to 365 days out. Starting to worry about it all. Anyone else?

hikerboy57
12-21-2010, 08:55
I wonder what % of people who plan to hike the trail 2 years from now actually do?

Just curious - I hope everyone does...
I turn 55 yrs old on April 10, 2012, so I've set that for my start date. I've got 3 months off to gt as far north as I can. I've section hiked about 3/4 of the AT north of PA over the past 30 yrs. The plan is to do as much as possible in 2012 and finish the balance in 2013.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".
John Lennon

Serial 07
01-05-2011, 10:17
466 days 'til April 15, 2012! i can't wait...i'm excited to start a month later than usual and hopefully miss out on most of the "cold" weather...

Fog Horn
01-05-2011, 10:44
I can't keep up with all these 2012 threads. Every time I open one I think its one I've already posted on.

I'm planning on NOBO 2012 if life lets me.

Idaho_Nomad
01-06-2011, 10:32
Hey also planning for an early march 2012 start. I get out of the Army about 3 months prior so it should be perfect timing. Anyone know when they will open a class of 2012 sub forum?

Green
01-07-2011, 17:00
Hey planning on tackling the AT in 2012, would like to start sometime in late Feb/early March and leaving from Iowa. Anyone else from around the midwest going to try? Ive already figured out when ill be quitting my job and putting everything into storage. Id love to talk with some people about their progress towards getting ready, or their gear or whatever! Hoping to do a chunk of the Ozark Trail, a rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon, backpacking in the Maroon Bells (aspen area) and a two week stint of bicycle touring this year to help me get ready! Who wants to to backpack!? lol.

G.

Sickmont
01-07-2011, 17:05
I wanna try for an early march NOBO thru-hike also. Same here, put stuff in storage and quit employment as well. But, it all depends on how much dinero i can claw together.

Fog Horn
01-07-2011, 17:05
Hey also planning for an early march 2012 start. I get out of the Army about 3 months prior so it should be perfect timing. Anyone know when they will open a class of 2012 sub forum?

I trade into the IRR one month prior. Hope to see you out there :)

strollingalong
01-07-2011, 18:02
Mid march... sometime midweek to avoid a crowd (i guess)

Idaho_Nomad
01-08-2011, 12:35
@Green, as far as progress I'm about 70% set on gear, still need to work out some clothing issues and find an alcohol stove I like. I'm just now starting to look at tentative itineraries, not that I want to follow a strict schedule but just so I have an idea of what is where along the trail. Also need to figure out what I plan on eating.

@Fog Horn, what unit are you in? Do you have a start date yet?

Sonno
01-08-2011, 13:07
A buddy and I will be thru-hiking SoBo in 2012. First time for both of us, can't wait to go! :D

Any other SoBo'ers?

phoddo
01-10-2011, 23:39
a few years back someone told me about the Appalachian Trail and i became hooked on the idea of wanting to make the hike. lately, i find my mind wandering more and more, either about the hike or about the decision i have made to get to where i am right now.
i currently work at a homeless shelter in las vegas. though i do enjoy my work very much, i know if i have to do this for much longer, i will have to start bashing my head against a wall just to get the right mind set to come to work. so i have decided that i will be making the hike in 2012. that gives me roughly a year an a month to get all the planning done. ill be saving money out of every paycheck between now and then and counting the days till i can send in my "i dont want to do this anymore" letter. they say you need between 3 and 5 thousand saved to make the trip, which seems to be to be a pretty big gap. so, 28 paychecks = 180 a paycheck. its like making a car payment so later i can walk 2100 miles :) i look forward to the hike.
i honnestly dont know if anyone will be joining me on this hike. i bring it up and pretty much every time get a look back like i am crazy. i dont see it that way at all. i think its time for me to unplug, enjoy myself, take some pictures, and enjoy my life a little bit.
i look forward to meeting each and every one of you online here, while we all prepare for the hike, and on the trail when 2012 accually gets here.... if any of you feel like you might want to group up for this hike, drop me a line and maybe we can all start preparing together. im sure that is part of what this is all about.
good luck to everyone planning the hike, and ill see you on the AT!!! :cool:

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 23:43
@Green, as far as progress I'm about 70% set on gear, still need to work out some clothing issues and find an alcohol stove I like. I'm just now starting to look at tentative itineraries, not that I want to follow a strict schedule but just so I have an idea of what is where along the trail. Also need to figure out what I plan on eating.

@Fog Horn, what unit are you in? Do you have a start date yet?

I'm with Psyop at Bragg. I'm thinking the first of March but its my nephews bday, so I might have to wait till the second so that I can call him on his bday.

What starting time frame are you looking at so far?

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 23:46
i honnestly dont know if anyone will be joining me on this hike. i bring it up and pretty much every time get a look back like i am crazy. i dont see it that way at all. i think its time for me to unplug, enjoy myself, take some pictures, and enjoy my life a little bit. :cool:

I get this look too. Three of my bosses have been trying to talk me out of it since I brought it up a couple of months ago. Their biggest argument is that a single woman shouldn't be alone on the trail, but I've read up on a lot and I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is unplug and reset.

Idaho_Nomad
01-11-2011, 15:59
@Fog Horn You've got to be kidding me. I'm also in 4th POG out of Bragg, I'm actually deployed with 5BN right now. My current timeframe for starting would be the 1st through the 15th of March.

Idaho_Nomad
01-11-2011, 16:10
@phoddo dont worry too much about no one wanting to go, I have a hard time finding hiking/climbing/outdoor partners for weekend trips let alone an AT partner. But from everything I've read it sounds like it isn't too hard to find a partner once you starting hiking the AT.

bohemio
01-11-2011, 22:11
I will attempt to thru-hike the a.t in 2012 right now I am in the planning stages reading,surfing this site,training & getting some inspiration from trailjournals although I'm a newbie on hiking when I first eared about the A.T 2 months ago I knew this was the thing I was looking for so now is just planning save some money & wait, I'm so happy to see a lot of people planning they 2012 thru-hike attempt I WISH YOU THE BEST & I HOPE I SEE YOU IN THE TRAIL

by the way this is my FIRST POST in whiteblaze SO HAPPY :)

Fog Horn
01-12-2011, 01:13
@Fog Horn You've got to be kidding me. I'm also in 4th POG out of Bragg, I'm actually deployed with 5BN right now. My current timeframe for starting would be the 1st through the 15th of March.

Don't hate me, I'm not with 4th POG, I'm with 1st TB. Reservist on stateside deployment. I've got a couple of friends deployed with 4th right now though, but they'll be home in about a month, hopefully. Be safe out there! Small world, isn't it, haha.

I'm hoping to set foot on the trail very early march. I'm hoping no later than the fifth.

Idaho_Nomad
01-12-2011, 08:31
@Fog Horn no I was just suprised to meet someone from psyop on whiteblaze. Well if youre still at Bragg in a couple months let me know and maybe we'll do some dayhikes or something.

dbs1crew
01-14-2011, 10:26
A buddy and I will be thru-hiking SoBo in 2012. First time for both of us, can't wait to go! :D

Any other SoBo'ers?

Yea Im leaving around the end of June or beginning of July. What about yall?

carpattack
01-14-2011, 16:44
Looking forward to a late march 2012 nobo start. Looking forward to meeting you all on springer or beyond!

ddanko2
01-18-2011, 15:51
I'll be heading North on/around March 18th 2012. Can't wait! :banana

Idaho_Nomad
01-20-2011, 06:33
So what are peoples plans for resupply? Maildrops, resupply in route, or some combination?

HockeyGirl
01-20-2011, 09:21
As someone coming from over the pond, I shall be resupplying in towns only, way too much hassle trying to mail drops from where I am now.

However I haven't ruled out the idea of a bounce box as I get going for winter gear etc.

Currently more worried I have too much equipment and it won't fit in my pack! Anyone having this issue?!

Idaho_Nomad
01-20-2011, 15:20
My current version of a packing list doesnt add to much over what I would normally carry on a 3 season backpacking trip. My advice is to do shakedown hikes, you will quickly find out what items you can live without and which are absolute necessities.

Sunshine0202
01-20-2011, 21:45
So what are peoples plans for resupply? Maildrops, resupply in route, or some combination?

I think we'll be doing a combo of both. I'm a good cook, IMHO ;) and I'm pretty good with the dehydrator. This way we can have the best of both worlds!

hikerboy57
01-20-2011, 21:55
I've only got three months to hike, so maildrops probably wouldnt work for me, so I'll resupply as I go. from what I've learned from thru-hikers I've spoken with and plenty of great info from this site, this would work for me.as you'll find out from this website, evryone is different, and a lot of people prefer a combo. With the time I have, I cant afford to be stuck in any town longer than I have to to wait for my package, although there are many hostels that will accept pkgs for thru-hikers instead of sending them to the post office.

Mockingbird
01-22-2011, 11:28
Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.

Mockingbird
01-23-2011, 20:46
Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.

Changed my start date to March 1st.

Graywolf
01-27-2011, 18:17
Hey, Im from Texas. I plan on leaving out between Middle of Feb, beginning of March. Looks like several here are doing the same.

Hope to be hiking with ya.

I have been planning this trip for many years and find this is the best time for me. So Im taking it!!

Anyone want to hook up or discuss planning, shoot me a message..Cya around the forums..

Graywolf

Captain Joe
01-27-2011, 20:10
Good day to you all!

Well, finding this forum has been like a breath of fresh air. I fully intend to hike the AT come March, 2012. I've been thinking about it for years but always somehow found something more important to do, that turned out not so important at all on the other side of it.

This year I've canned that attitude, and decided to view the trail not as a five-six month break from life, but a five-six month break to actually live life. As soon as I changed my perception, nothing seemed more important than heading north to Maine.

I'll be 24 when I start, and my only real handicap at the moment is my distance to the start trail. I hang my hat down in Western Australia. Beautiful country down here, but not much in the way of elevation (we average 1,200ft above sea level), so I expect actual mountains to be worthy adversaries.

I fully intend to spend the next year absorbing and shamelessly stealing any and all good hiking tips I see on this forum, and can't wait to meet you all out on the trail.

All the best,

Cap'n Joe

RGB
01-27-2011, 20:13
I'm going SOBO mid-July in 2012.

rockymt_woman
01-28-2011, 15:21
My plans are to start hiking mid to late March 2012. I am super excited. I will be hiking with my sister. We do a lot of hiking throughout the year. My only obstacle is convincing my husband. Some days he is on board with my dream and other days he isn't. We will see. Hope to see you all on the trail!

K-Man
01-28-2011, 15:34
Hey 2012ers! I'm checking back into this thread. Still on track for a 2012 with my girlfriend...now known as "Land o Lakes". Going to start the same date I did in 2007 which is March 19th. Figure why change something that worked!

I've been getting great joy out of saying..."I'll be thru hiking NEXT YEAR". Crazy that it's only 13+ months away now. Time will fly and before I know it I'll be standing on Springer looking north again.

Cheers,
Hungus

Graywolf
01-30-2011, 18:35
Hey 2012ers! I'm checking back into this thread. Still on track for a 2012 with my girlfriend...now known as "Land o Lakes". Going to start the same date I did in 2007 which is March 19th. Figure why change something that worked!

I've been getting great joy out of saying..."I'll be thru hiking NEXT YEAR". Crazy that it's only 13+ months away now. Time will fly and before I know it I'll be standing on Springer looking north again.

Cheers,
Hungus

Now you tell me. 13 months away? I didnt thinkof it that way. But it makes it look so much better. Cant wait!!

I_Brenk
02-02-2011, 11:56
I would like to take a semester off from school spring of 2012 to start a NOBO thru. The only constraint is that I would like a trail partner. Anyone looking to go want to meet up?

henrygale
02-03-2011, 17:19
Leaving with a friend in April '12. Starting NOBO then flipping at HF.

strollingalong
02-14-2011, 15:30
395 days till I start. woop

_lotus_
02-17-2011, 12:23
Planning for an early April 2012 nobo hike with my boyfriend. I'll be quitting my day job after 5+ years and finally 'stepping out into the unknown'!
My main areas of concern are staying ultralight weight, warm/cool enough, a sufficient vegetarian diet, sobriety, and of-course completing the journey!
See you on the other forums with more details/questions :)

LDog
02-19-2011, 16:16
I was just looking at the lineup for MerleFest this April in NC. Lyle Lovette, Doobie Bros, Doc Watson, Rory Block, Sam Bush Band, Del McCoury Band, Tony Rice, Peter Rowan, Robert Plant, Randy Travis, and literally dozens of others ... And a week later, just up the road a piece is Trail Days at Damascus. Sounds like an opportunity to hear some mountain music, hike the trail a bit, and drop in on the cultural event of the year!

Far East
02-22-2011, 08:56
It's decided, I'll start mid march 2012. Currently I'm investing in gear and will try it this april in France. It really sucks that all this stuff is much much much more expensive here in Europe!!!

strollingalong
02-22-2011, 09:22
I smell a holiday Far East! see you on the trail.

MarkhMD
02-22-2011, 09:51
Planning a NOBO thru starting sometime (tbd) in March 2012

HockeyGirl
02-24-2011, 09:24
Far East - I hear ya!

Gear here in the UK is way too expensive. I've been waiting until friends/family have been visiting the states and then buying stuff online for them to bring back.
We also seem to have less variety and fewer stores to go and try gear out - that's been my big issue, not being able to test stuff I want before having to buy it.

Still - I'm almost fully geared up and looking forward to some shakedown hikes in the summer before the big one next year :banana

Happy Trails everyone - can't wait!!!! :D

Far East
02-24-2011, 10:08
Hi HockeyGirl!

Here in Germany it's more a question of price than of selection. I found a store where they are currently ordering all my stuff... So I should be fully equipped in march ready for a four week shakedown hike in France!
Do you already have a visa and a starting date for 2012? Seems like I have to bring a lot of papers to the embassy...

safira218
02-25-2011, 03:37
[QUOTE=K-Man;946763]

Advice to any new North Bounders....You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. ........ QUOTE]

Great! Just GREAT!!! Now, I have to find a brain as well and once I find one, I have to let it go free?!?!

I wanted to say hello to all the fellow 2012 hikers in planning/dreaming/saving modes.
2012 has been on my radar for a couple of years now.

LDog
02-25-2011, 06:28
[QUOTE=K-Man;946763]

Pretty sure the brain lightens a lot the first few days ...

One
02-25-2011, 15:54
2012 is the year for me! :) NOBO
I have not decided on start date yet, Mid March or Early April.
Have most of my gear, need to take care of a couple financial aspects this year yet and some more conditioning.

Living the dream!

Hydromagnt
02-25-2011, 19:17
K-Man. You doing the approach trail on March 19th. I'd starting on the 19th, doing the approach trail, and will start the official AT on March 20th, my birthday.

P1nkPanther
03-01-2011, 10:22
I'm WalkinTom's wife. Thought I'd chime in even though he's stated our 2012 plans. Currently, besides hiking, I am a spreadsheeting fool trying to keep our finances in line and make the trip possible.

Also, while he said we're NOBO in March, I think we will become flexible if his job will give him time off starting later - either flipflopping of even a complete SOBO.

Hiking Dutchman
03-03-2011, 00:29
Hello! 34 year old male.. who is for sure going to hike this trail 2012! I would love to get planning with some of you about this hike... Has anyone heard that as a thru-hiker you can continue down the other side of Mt. K into Canada for another 700 miles? I think I want to do that.

fjellvandere
03-04-2011, 00:05
Thinking about a NOBO route. Would like to take the dog along for at least part of that but that is TBD.

Would be heading out early March or if the winter is mild, even before.

Looking forward to it !!

Hope your and my mojo's are working out and we can make it as planned!

Doug:banana

HockeyGirl
03-04-2011, 09:53
Far East - have to say I'm lucky on that front - no papers as I have a US and UK passport.
One less hurdle for me!
Good luck with the visa :)

TFOS
03-04-2011, 23:23
Hi all! My fiance and I will be heading nobo in late March or early April. It seems there will be a lot of couples out there. That's great!

I'm a semi-experienced 'packer, so I have most of my gear already. Max is brand new at it (I feel very blessed that I have found someone willing to attempt this with me) so we're working hard to outfit him. He's a very big guy, so it's a bit of a challenge!

We're getting married at the end of October, so we'll be honeymooning on the AT!

jima59
03-05-2011, 16:51
The wife knows I am feeling the tug of the trail again and she told me to go ahead. But I have to keep telling her its the time and money thing, plus we've not been seperated since we got married. Family things for an old fart are a bit different now with her health things. But I was surprised she said to just go ahead. Tentative trip at the very end of feb. for the trip to Springer and start on march 1st. Had some free time about 30 years ago and did the section from Springer to Damascus then went and visited friends before returning to the west coast. Now in Jax. FLorida.

treeofeeywa
03-05-2011, 18:12
I'm planning on a 2012 March nobo thru hike. I'm looking for people that I could hike it with. I know that I will meet people on the trail since I'm going to begin it at such a popular time, but I'd like to have the reassurance before I begin that I definitly have a friend to hike it with. Anyone interested? :) I check my mail on this website almost every day, but I also check my facebook, so here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=546945155

Idaho_Nomad
03-30-2011, 07:21
Anyone know if 2012 will ever get its own forum?

Old Hiker
03-30-2011, 11:49

Nah. Mods think the world will end in Dec 2012, so why bother?

Fog Horn
03-30-2011, 13:35
It's decided, I'll start mid march 2012. Currently I'm investing in gear and will try it this april in France. It really sucks that all this stuff is much much much more expensive here in Europe!!!

Have you tried shopping online?

Old Hiker
03-30-2011, 13:37

Do you have access to the military BXs - PXs? Know a military member who does? Shop the catalogs, etc. Try to have the things sent to an APO box, if possible.

Good luck!

TFOS
03-30-2011, 19:35

But...I'll be done with my thru before that!

Track3307
03-31-2011, 10:07
Hello all,

I'm starting July 1st 2012 SOBO and will hopefully be done by december 1st.

Looking forward to meeting others!

Transition Bob
04-01-2011, 16:30
I'm new to WhiteBlaze and new to east coast hiking, but I've done quite a bit of hiking out west. I've been reading a lot about the AT, and now that I'm moving towards retirement (thus the name "Transition Bob"), I'm setting my sights - like so many others - on a thru-hike in the spring of 2012.

I really appreciate all the good information in this site and look forward to meeting some of you along the way. Right now I'm looking for a few hikers in NJ/PA area who might like to hike the trail for a week or two in the spring or fall of 2011.

LDog
04-03-2011, 11:00

Uh, cause that means we'll be the last class?:eek:

Chez11efc
04-03-2011, 11:30
I will be starting my thru hike in 2012 end march/ early april. It has been my dream for years now to do the full AT. I am from england and have quite a lot of backpacking experience both in winter and summer but only in the UK. I will have to get a visa from the US embassy because i will be longer than 90 days, does anyone know how much they are and how many visas are accepted.

alaska moose
04-05-2011, 11:45
:( Well now planning on hiking in 2014...

HockeyGirl
04-06-2011, 07:30
Chez - good to see another face from the UK is going!
Hiking visas seem to be granted to quite a few people - a chap last year got one and hiked - Tin Tin - you should be able to search for him on trail journals, might offer you some information.

Downside is visa is 6months so if you are a slow hiker you might need to speed up? :)

Might see you on the trail!

solace
04-06-2011, 08:24
LoneWolf is right on... 1st week of APRIL is THE week to start.. gives you plenty of time... And your in the back of the pack... Shelters / Trail is not as full... weather is MUCH better.

Stray dog
04-06-2011, 14:16
I took the decision last week to start my thru-hike in 2012, which gives me a little less than 365 days to prepare for what should be the trip of my life. I will be 26 at the trailhead and turning 27, hopefully, once past Virginia. Nobody will be accompanying me to the trail head.

The plan is to leave Ottawa, by bus to Montreal, than Montreal-New York-Atlanta by bus. (I don't trust airlines with hiking material. My Osprey bag was lost by an airline on my way back from Peru.) Depending on the weather in the Smokies, I would start on the approach trail either March 23 or 30 and leave Springer on the Saturday morning.

I wreaked my left knee doing a one-day Great Range Traverse July 2, 2010. Did lots of stretching and muscle strenghtening and it was fine for the Presidential Range Traverse on Sept. 4 2010. The Presidential represent 0.XXX% of the AT. That is where I was introduced to the AT and dreamt of it since then.

World-Wide
05-19-2011, 12:12
Had to cancel this year's (2011) thru-hike attempt...Taking off late Feb/early Mar of 2012. Been off this site for awhile...good to still see some familiar folks on here.
W-W

niuzhilong
06-21-2011, 22:47
11579I FROM china

DamnYankee
07-10-2011, 11:41
I started going through the accumulation of the last 16.5 years worth of acquired military paraphernalia, looks like I can save about 600.00 dollars off my price tag for equipment and etcetera for the AT trip next year. Any other updates out there? I am planning on starting late March with a former thru hiker, hoping the the experience of his hike will help keep me motivated and cut down on the what the heck am I doing here thoughts. Hope to all of you out there next year.

xiaoyan848
08-01-2011, 04:17

Stats 2012
08-01-2011, 16:22

Sure: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Class-of-2012. Be sure to sign the registry.

Man, things are picking up speed as March approaches! The next few months are going to fly by!

I've seen a lot of "mid March" departures. (March 15 seems to be the most popular day.) I'm heading out early on March 13, but haven't seen anyone else pick that day.

Can't wait to see everyone on the Trail. Good luck with your planning.

Ron Haven
08-01-2011, 19:16
I was just looking at the lineup for MerleFest this April in NC. Lyle Lovette, Doobie Bros, Doc Watson, Rory Block, Sam Bush Band, Del McCoury Band, Tony Rice, Peter Rowan, Robert Plant, Randy Travis, and literally dozens of others ... And a week later, just up the road a piece is Trail Days at Damascus. Sounds like an opportunity to hear some mountain music, hike the trail a bit, and drop in on the cultural event of the year!remember to look at these sites also

Appalachian Trail 2012 (http://ronhaven.com/hikerbash5/) and hikerfoolbash.com (http://hikerfoolbash.com)

tomaasbark
08-05-2011, 23:12
I cant wait to meet everyone on the trail! I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....

LDog
08-05-2011, 23:14
No, you'll be right in the pack.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

jansom
08-07-2011, 21:25
May 4th start NOBO, hopefully I can catch up to some people. :)

Badspeller
08-07-2011, 21:55
May 4th start NOBO, hopefully I can catch up to some people. :)
as well as myself I have spoken with 2-3 others who will be starting this week. I think there will be company :)

LDog
08-20-2011, 19:51
How about setting up a meet n greet at Damascus during Trail Days? I figure Mary and I will hitch a ride there regardless of where we are at the time. But how to get together? Cell phones? A posting here? Bulletin board? Camp site?

RETCW4
08-25-2011, 14:11
WW, Had to postpone my thru this year also. Will be starting mid March 2012. Hope to see you out there.

Tumbleweed

Skywalker
08-26-2011, 15:33
College students who want to thru-hike face a particular dilemna, because they usually can't start hiking until mid-May, while the bubble of thru-hikers usually begins around April 1st. What I recommend is starting at Trail Days in Damascus, Va. in mid-May. That way you can meet alot of potential hiking partners, as well as not have to face one of the most difficult states early on. Then, when you arrive at Mount Katahdin--usually around late September--you can do what is known in AT parlance as a 'flip-flop'.

You would catch a ride or fly back to Damascus, Virginia. There you would head south to Springer Mountain in Georgia to complete your thru-hike. This effectively lengthens the hiking season. Unless you are especially fleet of foot, you would not have time to thru-hike the entire AT if you began at Springer MOuntain in mid-May. Good luck. 2012 will be one of the most memorable years of your life!

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Busker
08-27-2011, 12:05
I did about 300 miles of Virginia in June of this year from Harpers Ferry - going south - as a taster.
I liked it so much that I cleared it with my wife to do a through hike in 2012.
My problem is that I am running with my son in a marthon on the 29th April and so can't start till early May. I found water a bit of a problem at the end of June in southern Virginia...if I start in May I'm not going to get there until about that time...anyone got any advice?
I'm not a fast walker and found that an average of 10 to 15 miles is my ideal pace (I'll be 59 next year) and will be comming from the UK - so it takes a long time for me to get used to the humidity and temperature in the USA.

Busker
08-27-2011, 12:21
Hi,
I am pretty sure that its 6 months.
You dont apply to embassy its all done online now with ESTAS - used to be a visa waiver done on the plane.
You need to make sure you have a machine readable passport - thats the series of numbers and chevrons at the bottom of the picture page. You need to ensure that you have at least 6 months left on passport and couple of clear pages.
Also suggest that you book first night in the USA at hostel/hotel - makes life a lot easier.
I would also suggest that you get medical insurance as its not free out there.
Enjoy yourself - its great fun on the trail.

LDog
09-10-2011, 00:28
Just posted a piece on what went into our decision as to when to start our thru hike.

http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/

LDog
09-30-2011, 17:05
Just posted our thoughts as to how Mary and I are going to get to Springer Mountain next spring:

http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/ (http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/)

timmy_toes
10-26-2011, 13:10
I plan on starting with in the first Week of April if everything goes according to plan in Georgia, cant wait!
Look for me asking questions and posting my gear list.

SpecialK
10-26-2011, 19:24
I hike regularly in Maryland n southern Pa. I would suggest even going over to Harpers Ferry n doing some hiking sout, should give you some work in pretty steep areas. Just hiked Port Clinton Pa on a day hike, very steep n rocky but would recommend it highly. Msg me if you need any more advice and GOOD LUCK