PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Harpers Ferry- late arrival

flow
09-25-2009, 20:09
I plan to pre position my car in Harper's Ferry. My shuttle is my hiking partner, and will be shuttling to the starting point.
In the past, I parked at the National Park Parking Area. I will be arriving after 5pm. Does anyone know if I can still park there at that time or is the gate locked up?

JERMM
09-25-2009, 20:33
this is on the NPS website for Harpers Ferry

Operating Hours & Seasons
The park is open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Toolshed
09-26-2009, 07:38
I parked there 2 weeks ago and this is what was expklained to me. I got back by 7PM and didn't need to usde this process...
There is a roving park patrol after hours. When you get there and fill out the form at the VC, ask them for the number to reach a live person after hours (as opposed to teh general park recording). If you get back there after 8PM, you can call them and they will get a message to the patrol to come open the gate for you. (wait by the gate). The busses run until 6:15PM, but if you are walking they won't stop to pick you up between the 2 bus stops.

dovecote
09-26-2009, 12:34
I plan to pre position my car in Harper's Ferry. My shuttle is my hiking partner, and will be shuttling to the starting point.
In the past, I parked at the National Park Parking Area. I will be arriving after 5pm. Does anyone know if I can still park there at that time or is the gate locked up?

Keep in mind that although you can park your auto in the parking lot well after the "official" 5:00 PM closing time, the issue is submitting your parking request form. The Visitor Center at Cavalier Heights handles these requests and they indeed close at 5:00 PM. Parking without submission of the form and not paying the fee is risky business.

Toolshed
09-26-2009, 13:00
Sorry - I just realized you would be arriving by car "to park" after 5PM. I thought you meant you would be hiking back to your car after the gates closed. My bad...