PDA

View Full Version : best guide for planning

healthymom
09-25-2009, 22:18
My son and I are planning a couple of longer hikes over the winter on the FT. The databook doesn't come out for a few more days. Last year's Florida Trail Guide for Long Distance Hiker's is still available. Should I wait for the databook, is the trail guide enough or do I need both?
Thanks!
Dee
heakthymom

Slosteppin
10-12-2009, 19:28
My son and I are planning a couple of longer hikes over the winter on the FT. The databook doesn't come out for a few more days. Last year's Florida Trail Guide for Long Distance Hiker's is still available. Should I wait for the databook, is the trail guide enough or do I need both?
Thanks!
Dee
heakthymom

I hiked through the Ocala National Forest on the Florida Trail last February. About this time last year I bought "The Florida Trail Data Book" for 2008-2009. I found it hard to follow and did not get much from it.
When I was browsing in a bookstore I saw "The Hiking Trails of Florida's National Forests, Parks and Preserves". That book was a lot of help.
I know nothing about the Guide for Long Distance Hikers since I didn't consider a six day hike long distance.

Slosteppin Ed

wahoo
10-18-2009, 10:26
Depends on what you consider a long hike, I suppose.

The FT Companion Guide for Long Distance Hikers has tons of great logistical information, but I'd definitely purchase the FT maps for whatever sections you are hiking as well.

healthymom
10-18-2009, 11:28
Hi All!
I got the databook and the Companion Guide for Long Distance Hikers in the mail on Fri.
The databook looks like a waste of money. The Companion Guide has all the same information plus more that you really need, resupply, laundry, etc.
After spending the last couple of days pouring over these books, I've decided I need the maps as well.
Right now, because my son is in school, we can only get away for a few days at a time. We are planning a 5 day and a 9 day hike between now and New Year's. Not sure what we'll be doing after the first. Depends on my clients and his school.
Thanks for the help!
Dee