PDA

View Full Version : Toughest stakes?

freefall
09-25-2009, 22:36
This is geared more toward car camping than backpacking but what are the meanest,toughest tent stakes you know of?

I have seen tents in the area I want these stakes for fly through the air because an 80mph down draft caught them.

For my go-lite tent and for guying out my hammock, I use the MSR Groundhogs. But I need something for, say, a family tent that you can stand up inside and stretch out on the floor without touching any walls.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Egads
09-25-2009, 22:48
3/8" Rebar

freefall
09-25-2009, 22:51
3/8" Rebar
do you bend the top end to hold onto the tent loops?

skinewmexico
09-25-2009, 22:58
I just buy the really long, steel gutter spikes from Lowe's.

Tinker
09-25-2009, 23:10
do you bend the top end to hold onto the tent loops?
Most people who use them just angle them enough so that the guyout ropes can't slip over the tops. The only problem with rebar is just that - you have to leave a couple of inches of it sticking out of the ground, often with jagged edges from pounding with a sledge. I've seen some badly cut feet from those.
The steel stakes with the hook work pretty well. I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

Later:
I couldn't get what I was looking for - basic family tent stakes, but Campmor has something a little better than rebar for loose soil and sand:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21232
Pretty mean looking! Basically rebar with a round top and a plate for holding in sand.

Egads
09-25-2009, 23:17

Tinker
09-25-2009, 23:25

You know what they say about great minds.............:D

Reid
09-25-2009, 23:31
I just buy the really long, steel gutter spikes from Lowe's.

Yea. Got to be careful with the tips too. I put a strip of duct tape across the bottom of a tent stake bag and took the hard edge off the nails.

JoshStover
09-25-2009, 23:36
Nine Inch Nails(Not the band) or the nails/spikes used for landscaping timbers...

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2009, 04:04
Guess the question was answered - 9 inch nails from Lowes for when you are car camping because they require the tent to be on the damn chip stone pad at State Parks. and Ground Hogs for light weight for when you are lugging it and leave the nails at home.

brotheral
09-26-2009, 18:21
Got to springbar.com They have some galvanized steel sand stakes up to 18" long. I use something like this (15") to stake out my 12 x 14 heavy duty tarp over our picnic table...Also use them for my tarp at Little Talbot Island in FL. On tentpads I often use those 12" galvanized railroad spike ones you can buy in 4-packs for 2 or 3 $$ at Walmart.
For a family size tent in 80mph winds; Good luck :-?. :welcome

freefall
09-27-2009, 08:10
I like the rebar idea. I know I've seen some caps that can fit over something that size that could save feet from getting cut. I'll have to see if I can find them. If I find the caps online I'll post the link.

Unless the nails have ridges on them, I'd be worried they could come out pretty easy.

The Sand Hogs look good but the soil I'm thinking of is pretty compact (old livestock farm.)

Just Jack
09-27-2009, 09:14
Definitely get the rebar. I bought it here in NC at Lowe"s in precut lengths of
18 inches. But you will need to take a 2 pound hammer with you to drive them
into the ground-- or to knock them loose to pull them up. Save plastic soda bottles
and slide them over the rebar to prevent injuries. Use duct tape to attach the soda
bottles to the rebar.

Egads
09-27-2009, 09:23
Any contractors supply store will sell rebar mushroom caps

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=197972-157-11686&lpage=none&cm_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Weyerhaeuser%20Vertical%20Rebar%20Safety%20Cap

brotheral
09-27-2009, 09:54
I like the rebar idea. I know I've seen some caps that can fit over something that size that could save feet from getting cut. I'll have to see if I can find them. If I find the caps online I'll post the link.

Unless the nails have ridges on them, I'd be worried they could come out pretty easy.

The Sand Hogs look good but the soil I'm thinking of is pretty compact (old livestock farm.)
In this case, I too Like the rebar with caps idea !!!! :)